Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Hi everyone

I know almost for sure I´ll be getting a TP as soon as it is available, but I´m having serious thoughts about which phone to get.

Specswise, Pre 3 is my favorite, and I would go for it without a doubt if I wasn´t getting the TP. But once you consider buying the TP, everything changes, at least from my perspective. I really like the smallness of the Veer, and I think is powerfull enough for its job.

But I would like to know a few things:

- Will the Veer have Touch To Share capabilities?
    - Will I be able to make video calls from a Pre 3 (or TP) to my wife´s iphone 4?

Hmmm... I had a few more, but can´t think of them right now.
    Will Veer have TTS? I believe no ( which is odd ). Will the Pre 3 or TP be able to video chat with iPhone 4? In theory yes. Pre 3 will use skype to do video chat ( we believe ) and if the iPhone skype app has video calling enabled then yes. If not, technically it is possible assuming Apple will let HP use it's codecs ( I believe that's what it is called ). But I highly doubt that would happen.
    There has been info leaning both ways for the Veer supporting TTS abilities. But if you look at Palm's website, only the Pre3 is shown with this currently.

You should be able to video chat with an iPhone user provided you both use a service like Skype (as astraith mentioned above). I don't believe it will be an issue of codecs if both devices are using the Skype service.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Well, if the Veer is not having TTS, added to the fact of the camera not bringing autofocus nor hd video recording, I guess that’s a NOGO for me... Too bad since I really liked the size of it. So a Pre³ it’s going to be.

Regarding video chat, I understand the iphone wouldn’t be using its built-in video chat app but skype app then. Hope it works as good as iphone’s app.

One more question I have is, how come we still don’t have Whatsapp for webOS when every other OS has it?... I mean, come on, it works perfectly, not like our IM that sucks. It may be built-in, and very well integrated, but mine sometimes disconnects without telling me and I have to reconnect manually by writing my password again... And it happens quite often too... I think Whatsapp is one of the first apps HP should be getting for webOS, along with skype

thanks for those answers guys
    Pre3 FTW.
    BTW, several Palm reps told me at the Feb 9th event that the Veer had the TTS circuitry in it, and would support TTS when the OS is updated to the version that will be shipping with the Pre3.

They said the Veer was likely to ship with 2.1.x (because it was going to be released first) and that it would get an update to 2.2.x which will be on the Pre3 and include TTS support. I asked the same questions of every rep to see if I got consistent answers, and that one was consistent from everyone I asked.

Version numbers may change, but that makes perfect sense because the Pre3 and TouchPad are at least 90 days behind the Veer and I'm expecting that they will ship at the same time so they can be offered by a carrier as a bundle.

And from our very own member, Palm employee, and support guru:

Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    The Veer and Pre 3 will support Touch to Share.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    That would be awesome, plus it would make sence
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    BTW, several Palm reps told me at the Feb 9th event that the Veer had the TTS circuitry in it, and would support TTS when the OS is updated to the version that will be shipping with the Pre3.

They said the Veer was likely to ship with 2.1.x (because it was going to be released first) and that it would get an update to 2.2.x which will be on the Pre3 and include TTS support. I asked the same questions of every rep to see if I got consistent answers, and that one was consistent from everyone I asked.

Version numbers may change, but that makes perfect sense because the Pre3 and TouchPad are at least 90 days behind the Veer and I'm expecting that they will ship at the same time so they can be offered by a carrier as a bundle.

Yeah, the HP/Palm products site references the Veer on the TTS portion, but the Veer page itself does not indicate that capability...so your explanation makes the most sense to me (that it will have the capability installed as part of some software/firmware upgrade).
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post

watch at around 8:20... he says veer doesnt have TTS
    Quote Originally Posted by pantiko View Post
    Well, if the Veer is not having TTS, added to the fact of the camera not bringing autofocus nor hd video recording, I guess that’s a NOGO for me... Too bad since I really liked the size of it. So a Pre³ it’s going to be.

Regarding video chat, I understand the iphone wouldn’t be using its built-in video chat app but skype app then. Hope it works as good as iphone’s app.

One more question I have is, how come we still don’t have Whatsapp for webOS when every other OS has it?... I mean, come on, it works perfectly, not like our IM that sucks. It may be built-in, and very well integrated, but mine sometimes disconnects without telling me and I have to reconnect manually by writing my password again... And it happens quite often too... I think Whatsapp is one of the first apps HP should be getting for webOS, along with skype

thanks for those answers guys
    The developer of that app I guess doesn't feel it's worth it? And your welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by pantiko View Post
    That would be awesome, plus it would make sence
    It would make sense if it does. I hope Veer doesw have TTS capabilities -- would be awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post

watch at around 8:20... he says veer doesnt have TTS
    The operative term is "at this time".. the follow-up question I asked got some clarity around that... the electronics have to be in there at manufacturing time, so "at this time" is because the phone he is showing is running 2.1 which doesn't have anything in there. But if the coils aren't already in the phone, he would say "it won't have it at any time"...

It's a demo, and "at this time" the demo is only set up to work between the Pre3 and the TouchPad - and probably it was hard-coded just to get it to work. That's why they wouldn't go off the script for the TouchPad demo.

Maybe they won't enable it on that phone in webOS, but there is nothing to stop them and they've said elsewhere that it will be supported.
    The Veer will have TTS when the OS is updated to match that on the Pre3. End of story.

This has only come up on about 500 threads since Feb 9th. Maybe the guys who run this site can post some type of update or note on the front page - a new story about the Veer and in fact it will have TTS when the TouchPad is released, or shortly after.
    Your Questions:

Will the Veer have Touch To Share capabilities?
    - Sadly no...

Will I be able to make video calls from a Pre 3 (or TP) to my wife´s iphone 4?
    - One word: YES
    - As long as you wife is using Skype on her iPhone you will. You won't be able to do it through Facetime as Apple has locked it down to only iDevices and will not ever succeed otherwise.*Yay for Anti-Apple*

If you plan on getting the HP Veer:
    - Video Calling: You will not have a front camera which I think would be your biggest deal breaker. However, sense you are getting the TouchPad, it looks like you will most likely have it with you when you are away and can easily tether between the Veer and the TouchPad. So it may not really even matter after all.

If you plan getting the HP Pre3:
    - Video Calling: You will have a front camera so you will be able to call via the Pre3 and Skype 'anywhere'. You will also be able to tether to the TouchPad for a better wide screen experience via the Pre3's wifi tethering or local wifi.

My Take:
    - If I were you I would take these facts into mind and then wait until you can actually hand the device. For example, today I went down to Best Buy and handled the 3DS and to my surprise it was a much more solid device that I first thought. The 3D screen was much better than I expected and will never hurt my eyes. Both of which, I thought were it's fail points. THere is just something that you can never get from looking at videos that handling it can.
    Last edited by Rennat; 03/23/2011 at 07:51 PM.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne