Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    I don't understand why people still think battery life in smartphones will be outstanding.

It simply won't.

The issue with battery life is that we're way behind in battery technology.

No matter what smartphone you own, expect to have less battery life.

Just the way it is.
    I agree that a smartphone battery life won't be nearly as good as on simpler phones, where I would charge the phone once a week. But I have had other smart phones where the battery would consistently last more than 24 hours with moderate to heavy usage.

It made me furious when I discovered that my Pre+ would die at 3 PM. Yes I've seen posts that talk about turning off various radios and features to get more battery life, but if I have to disable all of this stuff, what is the point of having the smartphone in the first place?

Bottom line is that I will not buy another phone unless the batter will last for at least 24 hours with heavy usage. It doesn't matter what the phone can do if the battery dies at noon.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    It should be noted that lousy 3G speeds are Sprint's fault rather than Palm's (or even 3G's). CDMA is simply a very limited platform, and it's hard to understand how it can survive in the marketplace when UMTS wipes the floor with it at every turn...
    I have a Pre+ on AT&T, which uses GSM. The battery life is atrocious here as well. So CDMA doesn't look like it is to blame.
    Quote Originally Posted by erosen03 View Post
    I have a Pre+ on AT&T, which uses GSM. The battery life is atrocious here as well. So CDMA doesn't look like it is to blame.
    Believe me, as bad as it is on AT&T its worse on Verizon. I've seen this firsthand.

Spare battery (at least 1) and a spare battery charger make it so much easier to live with.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre 2 using Forums
    My Pre- lost less than 10% over 6 days in Aruba in airplane mode. It was in uberkernel 500/1000 mode at the time. I used it to check my stored emails and text messages on occasion.

From everything I've read, despite having a smaller battery than the Pixi, the Veer whips its predecessor in battery life. The Pre2's battery life is also supposed to be substantially better than the Pre phones.

webOS 2.x is clearly superior to webOS 1.4.x in terms of power management, and that will be key. Based on what I've read in reviews of the Pre2 and Veer, I expect the Pre3's battery life to be significantly better than the original Pre's.

That said, there is always the option of purchasing a more powerful battery if you want it.
    Quote Originally Posted by erosen03 View Post
    Bottom line is that I will not buy another phone unless the batter will last for at least 24 hours with heavy usage. It doesn't matter what the phone can do if the battery dies at noon.
    See you with a blackberry then?

Battery life on TRUE smartphones as opposed to advanced feature phones is currently the biggest limiting factor on smartphone functionality. The only reason newer smartphones don't have things like NFC/IR/pico-projectors etc. is SOLELY because of battery life. Considering theres newer sensors added to smartphones every few months, they seem to be counteracting any small advancement made in battery technology (size vs. efficiency). Unless there's a breakthrough, I really don't see battery life multiplying to over 24 hours with HEAVY use.

That being said, my Sprintified Pre 2 lasts all day (around 12 hours give or take) EASILY with moderate usage. So, CDMA device, with moderate usage... I also carry a spare battery in my wallet at all times. Really, if you want something that performs way out of bounds of current technology, make a few sacrifices and make it work for you.

If you need a smartphone to last over 24 hours with heavy usage, you're using the wrong type of device, think about getting a tablet/netbook and a feature phone.
    Last edited by SirataXero; 06/10/2011 at 11:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    See you with a blackberry then?
    Not even that. See you with a Jitterbug.

Global Posts
    480 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    That said, there is always the option of purchasing a more powerful battery if you want it.
    My Verizon Pre Plus makes it to about 3pm with moderate usage and a one month old battery. I see there is a bigger battery I can buy, but it appears I will have to give up using a case and the TouchStoned charger. So not an easy decision.
    Excellent post:

Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    It should be noted that lousy 3G speeds are Sprint's fault rather than Palm's (or even 3G's). CDMA is simply a very limited platform, and it's hard to understand how it can survive in the marketplace when UMTS wipes the floor with it at every turn. HSD/UPA is capable of reaching speeds of 7.2MBps down and 5.6MBps up, both figures being actually quite realistic if and when you have perfect reception.

So instead of having an arms race of calling the next standard (which still won't be proper 4G) 5G and introducing quad-core processors, using a good old single-core processor and a useful 3G standard like UMTS instead of useless CDMA will work out the same. If done well, the experience doesn't suffer and the device is cheaper to manufacture. It's just harder to write PRPRPR $stuff$ $if$ $you$ $can$'$t$ $throw$ $DUAL$ $CORE$!!! $18G$!!!!!! $and$ $other$ $such$ ($mostly$ $meaningless$) $superlatives$ $into$ $the$ $commercial$.

By the way, the only reason why a dual-core processor will use less energy than a single-core processor of the same make and model is our good old friend Race-To-Idle. So a quicker single-core processor might actually use less energy than a slower dual-core processor. People don't properly understand what dual-core processors are and therefore frequently have wrong expectations in them. A dual-core processor is neither twice as fast as a single-core processor, nor will it automatically use less battery.
    To expand a bit on the dual core CPU presumptions:

Having 2 brains is always better than one, no question, but, this really important for CPU intensive operations that can potentially overload (have a backlog) the CPU with information, forcing the device to wait for it.

In WebOS, with all those cards and potential for tons of applications open at the same time, a dual core would be VERY useful for performance at peak use, for sure.

This means a quicker return to the OS state, for sure, but, remember, both of those processors need to make sure that they are not overwriting the same data, or do something that forces either or both of them into an endless loop because the updated data from one keeps forcing the other to update it, and back and forth, etc.. these types of optimizations have to be performed in order for the dual core chips to be efficient.

On the flip side, though, remember, 2 cores = twice the power usage, if both are being used simultaneousy, which, if the OS is smart, will be only when it absolutely HAS to be.

So, for speed and battery life, given the above, I actually believe that the Pre 3 was well thought out to use the single core Qualcom Snaprdragon clocked at 1.4 ghz (which is rated by Quyalcomm as high s 1.5 ghz), with the Adreno 209 GPU, while the TP with its QC dual 1.2Ghz and Adreno 220 GPU was also, an extremely well thought out choice.

No optimization for dual core operation needed by the single core OS, just regular OS optimizations to utilize the core CPU at full speeds and variants, according to the user imposed loads on it, however, that dual core TP unit is likely ging through some serious optimzations, even last minute, relative to the above.

Battery life is always going to be directly proportionate to the usage of the device; a bigger battery will likely always be better, but, not the "best" solution to maximize battery life - its probably a combination of OS optimzation and battery size design - and there are designated industry professionals that engineer this.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

I think the iphone4 needs a bigger battery due to it's retina display. Since the Pre3 will have a lower resolution, less pixels to pump out, bla bla bla.. it will probably be pretty decent. Like most people say though, so long as it lasts 12 hours, who really cares?
    I wonder how long it will take for a standalone spare battery charger to hit the market after the Pre3 hits the shelves. Hopefully not long.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123