Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I don't understand why people still think battery life in smartphones will be outstanding.

It simply won't.

The issue with battery life is that we're way behind in battery technology.

No matter what smartphone you own, expect to have less battery life.

Just the way it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    The Pre 3's battery is listed at 1230mAh
    I wonder how long it will take Seidio to start selling "extended 1500 mAh" batteries that are really 1230mAh's in disguise.
    As battery life goes, I think that this thread demonstrates that there's a *LOT* that HP could do to at the OS to improve battery life. Frankly, if HP would let EVDO data sleep the same way they do for WIFI sleep, I think they could realize a significant increase in battery life.

As far as battery tech being behind, I agree with the previous posters who said so. However, I'm not sure that means we're headed down the path of perpetual smartphone power drains. If all the rest of the phone's tech gets smaller and more efficient, that leaves space for more battery in the same size device. Other possible improvements might be in how the OS is optimized to minimize battery drain.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    I can not get a normal day of phone calling, checking email, and sending a few text messages out of my PRE2 on Verizon. A normal day for me would be about 9-10 hours of use. The battery sucks. I got more time out of my Treo 755p. I have shut off all automatic checking for email and run on wifi at my office, sometimes I even shut that off to save the battery.
    The Pre3 needs to be a 24 hour usage span.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cam66 View Post
    I can not get a normal day of phone calling, checking email, and sending a few text messages out of my PRE2 on Verizon. A normal day for me would be about 9-10 hours of use. The battery sucks. I got more time out of my Treo 755p. I have shut off all automatic checking for email and run on wifi at my office, sometimes I even shut that off to save the battery.
    The Pre3 needs to be a 24 hour usage span.
    I agree that if they can somehow manage to build a device that not only runs as smooth as webOS should, but lasts a full day with heavy usage, then they will have a clear winner on their hands (at least for me).

With all the battery draining slab phones out there, it would be a massive advantage to have a smart phone that can go a whole day.

I could get over pretty much any gripe or annoyance I would have with the phone in this scenario.

I might even be willing to sacrifice 4G for it but I'd probably rather have LTE if given the choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    Veer = 910mAh -21%
    Pre + = 1150mAh
    Pre 3 = 1230mAh + 6%
    iPhone 4 = 1420mAh + 23%
    Evo 4G = 1500mAh + 30%
    My Netbook = 5200mAh@11.1V +1250%
    This number ****es me off a bit. Its not bad enough that the Pre3 can't stack up against any of the competition spec wise and were still gonna get **** poor battery to boot.

My roommate has an iPhone 4 and says he doesn't even need to charge the thing every night. I can't imagine going a night without charging my Pre- with the mugan extended battery.

Believe me I don't want an iPhone but it has some specs that would be nice to see on webOS device.
    hopefully with everything optimised in webos 2.0+ the battery life will be a lot better
    Quote Originally Posted by kuruptlon View Post
    This number ****es me off a bit. Its not bad enough that the Pre3 can't stack up against any of the competition spec wise and were still gonna get **** poor battery to boot.

My roommate has an iPhone 4 and says he doesn't even need to charge the thing every night. I can't imagine going a night without charging my Pre- with the mugan extended battery.

Believe me I don't want an iPhone but it has some specs that would be nice to see on webOS device.
    Heavy usage of an iPhone 4 will require a charge every night. He must not do that much 3G stuff. That's the killer.

But, don't get lost on the battery number. It's as useless as clock speed has become for CPU specs. or horsepower for engines. I promise that a 1-Ton pickup has a lot more horsepower than my 4 cyl. Saab, but I can whip any of them in a drag race or road race. I can get 0-60 faster, and I can go three times as far before stopping for gas.

If someone told me their iPhone had a bigger battery, I'd say "imagine how much smaller it would be if it didn't need a battery that big. As long as I can go a FULL day on a Pre3 without charging until I go to sleep, I don't care how big the number on the battery is...

Every time I walk in to Starbucks and see a dozen iPhone users all plugged in to wall chargers... I smile at the thought of having spare battery in my backpack. And just to rub it in, I might pull out my touchstone and show them wireless charging...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Heavy usage of an iPhone 4 will require a charge every night. He must not do that much 3G stuff. That's the killer.

But, don't get lost on the battery number. It's as useless as clock speed has become for CPU specs. or horsepower for engines. I promise that a 1-Ton pickup has a lot more horsepower than my 4 cyl. Saab, but I can whip any of them in a drag race or road race. I can get 0-60 faster, and I can go three times as far before stopping for gas.

If someone told me their iPhone had a bigger battery, I'd say "imagine how much smaller it would be if it didn't need a battery that big. As long as I can go a FULL day on a Pre3 without charging until I go to sleep, I don't care how big the number on the battery is...

Every time I walk in to Starbucks and see a dozen iPhone users all plugged in to wall chargers... I smile at the thought of having spare battery in my backpack. And just to rub it in, I might pull out my touchstone and show them wireless charging...
    Yeah I realize battery life will vary depending on usage and what not. I do believe Apple has made an effort to improve battery life in the iPhone though. Whether it be a bigger battery or a more efficient processor I don't know.

I just get the feeling this battery wont be much better than the current pre and will burn out just as quick as mine has.

I really don't care how the Pre 3 stacks up against other phones all that much I know now that I just want a new webOS phone thats built a bit better than my existing Pre- and is a bit faster.

I just like webOS a whole lot better than anything else out there.
    Since overclocking chews up battery faster, I would assume underclocking will extend battery life. Would anyone dare even think about underclocking a pre3 to 1-1.2GHz to extend battery life (assuming stability doesn't suffer)? The Veer seems to do pretty well at 800MHz, so I assume webos2.x is snappy enough to handle a "slowed" down pre3.
    Echoing the notion that 3G is what breaks every smartphone's back... Unless it uses "4G", in which case you get the four-hour battery life of wonderphones like the Evo.

My Pre is currently running vanilla 1.4.5 and eating a lot of battery - when I had it all patched up, I had Mode Switcher control my connectivity and scale down to 2G for most situations I don't require data in, and my battery life was WAY better. Now I'm really out of battery when I get home in the evening; using 2G when I don't actively use data anyway I used to have 30-40% left after work.

I'm actually kind of optimistic about the Pre 3's battery life - it's gonna have a bigger and therefore 'hungrier' screen, but it's also gonna have a bigger battery and, most importantly, a 45nm processor which is inherently more energy-efficient than the 65nm processor in the Pre.

But yeah, people who expect smartphones with big, hi-res screens and always-on data connectivity that get used all of the time for web, apps, games, etc. to last as long as featurephones with small lo-res screens and without a data plan that only get pulled out once every five hours to write an sms or make a phonecall are clearly expecting too much.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the pre3 have a non user replaceable battery like the iphone?
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    No, the veer has non-user replaceable battery.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    I follow the WebOS forum on Sprint.com...the latest post related to battery life gives me more food for thought...

"DENGQUIST 2108, I definitely care about 4G on a Pre 3! Current 3G speeds on the Palm Pre Minus are atrocious for uploading/downloading (which I know the internal processor is also partially to blame). Which brings me to your other point about dismissing 4g because it's a battery drain based on your co-workers' experience with the Epic 4G. That's why Pre 3 needs 4G AND a dual-core processor. Not only to keep up with the times but also to increase processing speeds and the currently lousy battery life (the Epic 4g has a single-core processor). The article "Five compelling reasons why you will want to buy a dual-core mobile device" was published on AndroidandMe.com November 30. It quotes a white paper that states that a dual-core processor can do the same work as a single-core processor while using 40% less power. That should help extend battery life for the common user. Again, I think if the Pre 3 doesn't come into the game with what's currently being offered in network and processing speed, then they might as well release it to the ultimate graveyard for 3G phones/single-core processors---non-contract carriers."
    It should be noted that lousy 3G speeds are Sprint's fault rather than Palm's (or even 3G's). CDMA is simply a very limited platform, and it's hard to understand how it can survive in the marketplace when UMTS wipes the floor with it at every turn. HSD/UPA is capable of reaching speeds of 7.2MBps down and 5.6MBps up, both figures being actually quite realistic if and when you have perfect reception.

So instead of having an arms race of calling the next standard (which still won't be proper 4G) 5G and introducing quad-core processors, using a good old single-core processor and a useful 3G standard like UMTS instead of useless CDMA will work out the same. If done well, the experience doesn't suffer and the device is cheaper to manufacture. It's just harder to write PRPRPR $stuff$ $if$ $you$ $can$'$t$ $throw$ $DUAL$ $CORE$!!! $18G$!!!!!! $and$ $other$ $such$ ($mostly$ $meaningless$) $superlatives$ $into$ $the$ $commercial$.

By the way, the only reason why a dual-core processor will use less energy than a single-core processor of the same make and model is our good old friend Race-To-Idle. So a quicker single-core processor might actually use less energy than a slower dual-core processor. People don't properly understand what dual-core processors are and therefore frequently have wrong expectations in them. A dual-core processor is neither twice as fast as a single-core processor, nor will it automatically use less battery.
    Thanks for the info, and congrats on your 1,000th post...
    EDIT: Info turned out to be false, He changed the post.:

According to this german blog post the pre3 will NOT have a removable battery.
    Wie auch schon das Pre 2 ist das stabile Gehäuse mit Softtouch-Lack überzogen und zudem aus einem Stück gefertigt, eine abnehmbare Abdeckung gibt es nicht mehr. Ein Wechsel des Akkus ist damit nicht mehr möglich.
    Translation:
    Just like the Pre 2 the Pre 3 has a stable case with soft-touch and is also manufactured in one piece, so a removable cover no longer exists. The change of the battery is no longer possible.
    Mr. Biebusch was on the re_:_publica fair which was sponsored by HP.
    Nice article (nice pictures) in german.

EDIT: After chatting with Mr. Biebusch it seems the battery IS removable.
    http://twitter.com/#!/mbiebusch/stat...36538450669568

Sorry for misinformation.
    Last edited by somline; 04/17/2011 at 03:45 AM.
    Wie fast alle Deutsche Technologiejournalisten hat Herr Biebusch offenbar keine Ahnung wovon er eigentlich spricht und saugt sich seine Artikel im Hinterzimmer mithilfe von PRPRPR-$Artikeln$ $aus$ $den$ $Fingern$, $die$ $dann$ $aber$ $auch$ $nicht$ $zwangsl$ä$ufig$ $vom$ $richtigen$ $Produkt$ $stammen$... $Zur$ $not$ $ist$ $das$ $Pre3$ $eben$ $genau$ $wie$ $das$ $Veer$: &$quot$;$Wird$ $schon$ $stimmen$, $und$ $wenn$ $nicht$, $glaubt$ $man$'$s$ $mir$ $bestimmt$ $trotzdem$. $Wenn$'$s$ $einer$ $merkt$, $war$ $es$ $eben$ $ein$ $klitzekleines$ $ausnahmsweises$ $Missverst$ä$ndnis$&$quot$;.

Denk ich an Deutschland bei Nacht, so bin ich um den Schlaf gebracht.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Wie fast alle Deutsche Technologiejournalisten hat Herr Biebusch offenbar keine Ahnung wovon er eigentlich spricht und saugt sich seine Artikel im Hinterzimmer mithilfe von PRPRPR-$Artikeln$ $aus$ $den$ $Fingern$, $die$ $dann$ $aber$ $auch$ $nicht$ $zwangsl$ä$ufig$ $vom$ $richtigen$ $Produkt$ $stammen$... $Zur$ $not$ $ist$ $das$ $Pre3$ $eben$ $genau$ $wie$ $das$ $Veer$: &$quot$;$Wird$ $schon$ $stimmen$, $und$ $wenn$ $nicht$, $glaubt$ $man$'$s$ $mir$ $bestimmt$ $trotzdem$. $Wenn$'$s$ $einer$ $merkt$, $war$ $es$ $eben$ $ein$ $klitzekleines$ $ausnahmsweises$ $Missverst$ä$ndnis$&$quot$;.

Denk ich an Deutschland bei Nacht, so bin ich um den Schlaf gebracht.
    Ich find den Artikel gut und er hat das berichtet was er in der Hand hatte. Ich habe bisher weder nen pre3, Veer noch TouchPad in der Hand gehabt.
    GodShapedHole, im Gegensatz zu den Techjournalisten von anderen Magazinen (ich denke da an deutsche Ableger großer US-Blogs) hatte ich über zwei Stunden mit den neuen Geräten verbracht und alles ausprobiert, was mir wichtig schien. Fast die Hälfte der Zeit habe ich dabei auch noch mit Kevin Hague verbracht und mit ihm über die Plattform gesprochen.

Ich weiß ja nicht wieviele Pre 3 du schon in der Hand gehabt hast, die Modelle vor Ort machten auf mich stark den Eindruck, als ob man die Rückseite nicht abnehmen könnte. Hier habe ich mich wahrscheinlich geirrt und als Zweifel aufkamen nochmal bei HP recherchiert, was nun richtig ist. Fehler passieren, und so habe dies transparent korrigiert. (Fun fact: Hätte ich mich allein auf Presseveröffentlichungen gestützt, wäre der Fehler nicht passiert).

Solltest du konstruktive Kritik haben oder es sich Widersprüche auftun, dann kannst du mir dies ganz unaufgeregt, so wie somline mitteilen, für dessen Hinweis auf die Akkugeschichte ich sehr dankbar bin.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast