webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Barcode scanner app
Barcode scanner app

Old 03/21/2011, 10:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

This is something I've really wished I could have on my Pre Plus and Pre 2, but after being out with my friend and using his Droid X, I'm not terribly impressed. The last 4 or 5 times we've tried it on stuff, it wasn't able to look the product up to find local prices and whatnot. Sometimes it works, and it's neat, but sometimes it doesn't. One time we did use it and found the item cheaper at a store across town, so we drove over there and the item was actually a little more expensive than the store where we started.
YankBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/21/2011, 12:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Barcode Scanner apps need access to the camera API and use the camera's AutoFocus when available.

Free iPhone, BlackBerry, and Android Barcode Scanners work like this. Say you are in a Best Buy looking at a $200 item. It scans the barcode on the package and finds it somwhere like Amazon.com, Buy.com, NewEgg.com, or Dell.com for $79.

Best Buy's policy is that they have to match these authorized internet prices so you saved $120 and got the item today at Best Buy. Barcode Scanner users have countless daily stories just like this. You might save $10 on a DVD or hundreds on a TV. Fry's and others have the same internet price match policy.

The local store will need to write-up the price-match so that they can be reimbursed by the vendor.

Barcode scanners let you buy locally and still get the internet price. You might save more than the cost of a phone in a matter of months.

Note: Be careful at BestBuy. Best Buy has put up their own barcodes on almost every product that only take you back to their own website! You need to scan the real UPC.

Last edited by milominderbinder; 03/21/2011 at 05:26 PM.
milominderbinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by Courousant, protofa
Old 03/21/2011, 12:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

of course, vendors use slightly different SKU's so that you wont find some things at more than one place, so there isn't a pricematch issue. They make subtle changes to justify the different sku...

But when you do, they will honor it. I just search on the product sku and/or exact name and it gives me the same basc info, so I can read reviews and make sure the "sale" price is really a good deal compared to amazon, etc. The reps at Fry's must hate me...
Cantaffordit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/21/2011, 12:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

You may also notice barcodes popping up on websites, historical markers, state parks, and everythere else:

Someone with an iPhone, BlackBerry, or Android device can scan that off their monitor to follow the link with their phone. That barcode is a link to barcodesinc.com that makes almost any barcode for you.

• Historical marker barcodes take you to a website to read more, watch a video, or hear audio.
• Real estate barcode takes you to the website for photos and a virtual tour.
• Business card barcodes take clients to your webiste or LinkedIn profile.

The latest Apple commercial shows a barcode on your phone display as your electronic boarding pass or to make a purchase at a store.

YouTube - Apple - iPhone4 - TV Ad - App Store
Attached Images
File Type: png Sample QR barcode.png (985 Bytes, 435 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by milominderbinder; 03/21/2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03/21/2011, 12:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
Barcode Scanner apps need access to the camera API and a camera with AutoFocus. The Pre 3 will be Palms first phone that can have a Barcode Scanner. (The Veer lacks AF.)
Sorry Milo, this is FALSE. Please do not spread misinformation that can further hurt HP\Palm devices.

4th gen iPod is the first to have a rear facing camera. The camera is only .7mp (same as iPad2 ) and does NOT support autofocus. Also note, only the last two Berry's have AF cameras and the apps work there as well.

iPod Touch 4th Generation Teardown - Page 3 - iFixit

The iOS app "Red Laser" is a barcode scanning app that works on the 4G iPod as can be seen in this video.

YouTube - Best Free Bar Code Scanner for iphone and ipodtouch

The api access (in wOS 2.x) and some programming are all that is needed to bring this fucntionality to all Palm 2.x running devices. (Note that ALL Palm devices have a higher mp camera than the 4G iPod)

-CK

why aren't people buying the verizon iphone4
comscore-android-passes-ios-and-rim-for-u-s-smartphone-subscriber-share/
http://www.itproportal.com/2011/07/2...-market-share/
ipad-2-think-twice-about-buying/

Last edited by cobrakon; 03/21/2011 at 01:02 PM.
cobrakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/21/2011, 12:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Its funny I wanted this function so bad. Yet with my brief time with a Android device last month I used it maybe twice
draztikrhymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/21/2011, 01:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by draztikrhymez View Post
Its funny I wanted this function so bad. Yet with my brief time with a Android device last month I used it maybe twice
I can second this. I was out with my friend and he was looking at some Dickie's work overalls at this one particular store. He wanted to look around and we started to leave the store and as we were about to get in the car I said "what about your barcode scanner app?" He said "oh yeah!" So we went back in to use it and it couldn't find that item anywhere else. But that's happened on two separate occassions. So it seems like it's an app that's not as useful at it would appear from a commercial. My brother and another friend of mine both have iPhones and neither have ever used the barcode scanner app.
Old 03/21/2011, 01:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

My wife used it couple of times. She went to the TJ Max and she saw some headphone on the shelf. It looks pretty reasonable price but she wasn't sure if it's good price or not. She scanned it, and Amazon had it for like $1 cheaper. So she just decided to buy one from TJ Max, she knows that it's pretty decent price. And one other time, we were buying my daughter's toy in Toy's R Us, and it was like $10 cheaper in Amazon, so we decided to order one. So far, it's pretty useful.
StuckwVerizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/21/2011, 02:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

It's a gimmick, albeit a cool gimmick. It's not that often, where you have a barcode and no price....Most packaging that you see has the price stamped right beside the barcode. Most food items are on a shelf with the price right beside it. I thought I'd want an app like this, and maybe if it was available I'd get it, but in all actuallity, as people above mentioned, not sure how much I'd really use it. I would probably add it into my page of apps I've used once or twice and then forgot I even had it.
Old 03/21/2011, 02:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

Not to mention, once when we were out looking at some stuff at Best Buy, I pulled out my Pre Plus and went to Amazon.com and looked up the price of something in just a few seconds longer than it took him to use the barcode app.
Old 03/21/2011, 02:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

+1 to that ^....(but then you have to know how to spell.........)
Old 03/21/2011, 04:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
Sorry Milo, this is FALSE...
Sorry, we have been told multiple time that the lack of AF is the reason why we can't have a barcode scanner. I will correct my post.
Old 03/21/2011, 04:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
You may also notice barcodes popping up on websites, historical markers, state parks, and everythere else:

Someone with an iPhone, BlackBerry, or Android device can scan that off their monitor to follow the link with their phone. That barcode is a link to barcodesinc.com that makes almost any barcode for you.

Historical marker barcodes take you to a website to read more, watch a video, or hear audio.
Real estate barcode takes you to the website for photos and a virtual tour.
Business card barcodes take clients to your webiste or LinkedIn profile.

The latest Apple commercial shows a barcode on your phone display as your electronic boarding pass or to make a purchase at a store.

YouTube - Apple - iPhone4 - TV Ad - App Store
Pre already has an app that scan these type of barcodes. They're call QRdecoder.
nick1sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: protofa
Old 03/21/2011, 06:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I downloaded that but how it worked is that you take a picture, upload it to one of the decoder sites, the site scans the picture, and sends you the decode.

This article explains it better but I never get that good of reception inside stores to use it:

QR deCODEr app for webOS Gets You Started Scanning QR Codes - AppScout

Last edited by milominderbinder; 03/21/2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03/07/2012, 09:37 AM   #15 (permalink)

i found an application for iphone called barcode 2 sql at app store.
it is free source download
check also the website barcode2sql.com
johnstallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2012, 11:20 AM   #16 (permalink)

I had the Red Laser app on my iPhone, and it did come in handy a few times. K-Mart had a liquidation "sale", and I used it on some of the supposed 30-50% off items. It pulled up the prices of the items online, and prices at local stores. Obviously, I could have searched on google for prices, but it was nice to have all the information pulled up like that.

It would be a nice addition to my Pre 3. It's not an app that would get daily use, but when needed, it would be helpful.
Sylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2012, 02:07 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylo View Post
.......Obviously, I could have searched on google for prices, but it was nice to have all the information pulled up like that.......
BINGO we have a winner "just type" it's gotta be line ball which is the faster way to get this job done.

dbmgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2012, 08:55 AM   #18 (permalink)

you guys know there is one hp app for that, that even works in germany to some extent.
krushaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2013, 02:11 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krushaaa View Post
you guys know there is one hp app for that, that even works in germany to some extent.
Do tell... And direct us!
Paulscarbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2013, 09:11 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulscarbs View Post
Do tell... And direct us!
It's called HP Codescan, and is free in the app catalog. But I like Offline Decoder better.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0