Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Very pleased to see the next generation of WebOS phones but sorely disappointed that they're all slide-outs. To me, my palm pixi is the ideal blend of gesture based and killer tactile keyboard - best feel on the market and so well laid out. If the pixi were just a few hairs larger, it would be the world's perfect phone in my book. HP's positioning the Pre3 as the business user phone - I've got an important point for HP designers: BUSINESS USERS DON'T WANT TO SLIDE THEIR KEYBOARD OUT! The vertical keyboard has been one of the main factors in Blackberry's success in the business market. You look even at Motorola's high quality business class phones. Same thing.

I think Palm has been thinking about the Pixi all wrong. It should be their business class phone. A little bigger with an exposed keyboard - perfection would be achieved in my book.
    agree with op
    I disagree, having a keyboard out all the time can be a pain when you dont want / need to use it. Most Blackberries don't have touchscreens and moving your hand all the way over the keyboard to use the touchscreen is uncomfortable.

I think a slider keyboard can do very well in a business environment.
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
    Funny. I am a serious business user and really like the slider keyboard. I agree the tactile keyboard is a must but prefer to put it away AND have a larger screen to look at when I am not typing.

I spend at least half the day out of my office on average and receive 200-300 emails a day that I look at and respond to as well--although many responses wait until I get to my office if they require attachments or are lengthy.

I am seeing more blackberry slider keyboards popping up in my office so I think others feel the same way.

This just proves that they should make more than one style high end device IMO.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Quote Originally Posted by marclh1992 View Post
    I disagree, having a keyboard out all the time can be a pain when you dont want / need to use it. Most Blackberries don't have touchscreens and moving your hand all the way over the keyboard to use the touchscreen is uncomfortable.

I think a slider keyboard can do very well in a business environment.
    I guess it's personal preference.
    I love the keyboard always there.
    I find it less than convenient to leave the slider out, and I find it a pain to have to slide it out everytime I need it.
    I'm probably in the minority nowadays.
    But I still prefer my Treo formfactor.
    depends on how you open the slider. Very little effort to open slider using the thumb on the scree.
    I'm in business. I use a slider. I'm buying a Pre3. Pretty sure that wipes the OP theory. Just sayin.
    Business users want the best of both worlds - a LARGE touchscreen (so they can see more of a document) and a really good keyboard (so they can type efficiently without losing screen realestate) - why do you think Blackberry came up with the Torch, which has a sliding keyboard as their "transitional" device?

Honestly, I believe that the sliding, large screenkeyboard will wind up being the dominant formfactor for most smartphones going forward - even Apple is rumored to have a portrait slider on a larger screen for the iPhone 5.

The OP certainly has a right to his/her opinion, but, that's not what Im observing in the real world of text messaging, emailing business people using smartphones.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

i never understood why the pixi was less powerful than the pre in the first place....that was a huuuuge mistake by palm...pixi should have been the Palm Pro and it should have been a monster!
    Ive seen many people, from doctors to lawyers, still walking around using those phones that you actually have to open in half to use a keyboard (like the LG envy3). I personally think the Pre 3 is a perfect blend of both a business phone and a personal phone.

My Pre Does EXACTLY What I Need It To Do, And Thats Why I Have A webOS Relationship.

Facebook: facebook.com/LordSecksie
    Twitter: @LordSecksie
    TextOne: LordSecksie
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    i never understood why the pixi was less powerful than the pre in the first place....that was a huuuuge mistake by palm...pixi should have been the Palm Pro and it should have been a monster!
    agree. the pixi should had the same size screen and processor as the pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    Yeah I understand the screen size they chose, but I really dont understand why they made it less powerful... The benefit of having the keyboard readily available is lost when the phone lags...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    4 inch screen same slide out keyboard. I love the keyboard and the way it slides out. My wife has the epic 4g and i hate the keyboard on it. It looks nice but the functionality and actual usage is going to give you thumb-rithis its just to large of a keyboard.(Mind you I have Large Hands) But now if palm makes 4inch screen with slide out keyboard with give perfect space for faster more comfortable texting . Not to mention nice size screen for better viewing.
    BlackBerry Torch is targeted to business, and it indeed does have a slider keyboard.
    More of a personal preference. I disagree with the OP. I use mine all the time in my business and having the physical keyboard is really great!
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    I agree with the op. I would even consider getting a phone like that even though I have come to love the pre3 being a slder.I personally think that's what the veer shoud have been.I wish I was the one designing and making those calls.I would have introduce 3 phones.The pre3 as it is maybe more specs,the new pixi with a bigger screen,and a slab/slate phone.Why is this so hard for them to do?! Think about how thin the pixi could have became and add on a bigger touchscreen.
    Quote Originally Posted by pixidiehard View Post
    Very pleased to see the next generation of WebOS phones but sorely disappointed that they're all slide-outs. To me, my palm pixi is the ideal blend of gesture based and killer tactile keyboard - best feel on the market and so well laid out. If the pixi were just a few hairs larger, it would be the world's perfect phone in my book. HP's positioning the Pre3 as the business user phone - I've got an important point for HP designers: BUSINESS USERS DON'T WANT TO SLIDE THEIR KEYBOARD OUT! The vertical keyboard has been one of the main factors in Blackberry's success in the business market. You look even at Motorola's high quality business class phones. Same thing.

I think Palm has been thinking about the Pixi all wrong. It should be their business class phone. A little bigger with an exposed keyboard - perfection would be achieved in my book.

I agree that HP should have a BlackBerry (or a Treo inspired) design, but should also have the Pre 3. In fact, HP should call it the Treo 4G....or Treo HD. Since HP seems to be keeping Palm's names, that be a smart move I think and would make a lot of ex-Palm fans happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    I agree that HP should have a BlackBerry (or a Treo inspired) design, but should also have the Pre 3. In fact, HP should call it the Treo 4G....or Treo HD. Since HP seems to be keeping Palm's names, that be a smart move I think and would make a lot of ex-Palm fans happy.
    I was just talking with a friend earlier today about how great the Treo was. I then walked into a Sprint store later in the afternoon and saw a lady having her Treo serviced, put a smile on my face.

I asked the Sprint rep out of curiosity if they still have Treo replacements, he said they don't have them in stores, but they can order them. I was like whoa, the Treo brand has stood the test of time.

I think if HP revived the Treo brand running webOS it would just boost smartphone sales; however I love the Pre 3 form factor & plan on getting one.
    <<posts deleted>>

Please notice:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...uncements.html

Thanks,
    Berd
    Just call me Berd.
    @smartfah I totally agree that would boost sales if they bring back the Treo. It was such a huge name in the industry and really had some great keyboards.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast