Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is it safe to assume if the Touchpad is coming June so will the Pre3? If so why not mention it. You really get contradicting vibes. Most of the HP statements make the Touchpad and WebOs on the PC and the focus, but every now and then they say "we dont intend to be an also ran in the smarphone business". So do something already! Announce, release, update....we're waiting.
    maybe not problems, but until carriers say so, they can't say much. Unless they want to do a wifi-only pre3? Hmmmm
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    If the carriers refuse to carry them...can they not just make GSM Unlocked, and CDMA unlocked phones?
    NNJ
    I think one thing you need to keep in mind is the Touch-to-Share feature which is included in the Pre3 and Touchpad. This feature is completely useless with only one of the devices released. So, there really seems to be 3 strategies HP could use here:

1. Release these 2 devices at the same time to promote this feature. Have ads showing the devices together, utilizing this feature.

2. Release the TouchPad first, and hope that consumers will buy the Pre3 afterwards so they can utilize their TouchPad to the fullest with the Touch-to-Share feature.

3. Release the Pre3 first, and hope that consumers will buy the TouchPad afterwards to utilize the Touch-to-Share feature.

I think the first option is the least likely. If the TouchPad is Priced at $499 (which sounds likely), I would think HP would be keen enough to realize that most users aren't going to go out and spend $499 on a tablet and spend $xxx on a smartphone at the same time. Most people don't blow that amount of cash at one time, especially not on toys.

That leaves us with the last two options. The last two options are really the same strategy. Use one device to promote the sales of another device. This is where it is splitting hairs. I have no idea which approach HP would go with. It completely depends on which device they think will be more successful at launch, and which device they want to be more successful at launch. Whichever device they predict to have "weaker" sales should be the device that comes second as they are sure to get at least a percentage of the sales from users who bough the related device.

If I had to make a guess (and that is all it is), I would say the Pre3 comes first. There is still a larger market for smartphones than there is for tablets. They are sure to get sales with the Pre3, and those sales would help to boost HPs push into the Tablet market. Once again, this is just a guess.

Of course, this is all based off of business marketing strategy and does not figure in technical details such as which device is more technically perfected.

Let me know what you guys think.
    I think getting carriers to sign on to a phone that will probably be $199.99 after rebate is tough. Many of these carriers only want their flagship phones at or above this price. They feel that they'll be stuck with extra inventory. I DO NOT want the Pre 3 to be like the Pre 2 in the sense that Verizon stores barely know it exists because they don't want it taking up space in their back room or in the store.

HP is going to need to take a hit if they want to build this ecosystem they keep talking about. I'm holding out (admittedly stupid) false hope that they'll bundle a free, or $50 Pre 3 (with new service agreement/extended agreement) with the purchase of a TouchPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by rkev View Post
    But don't carriers control the price since they already bought and paid for the phones from the manufacturer? Just don't see this.
    I believe they control the final cost that is advertised, but how much they buy the phone for comes into play. If HP sells them the phone at $550 (unlocked price) the carrier determines the subsidy to get people onto their plans. I think that the pricing is an agreement. HP says, we would like our phone sold for ___insert price. The carrier tells HP that in order to sell it at that price, they will have to buy it from HP for ______.

Please note this is just my understanding as an outsider, I don't have any knowledge about whether this is true or not.
    Well, HP wants a certain price for the phone and the carrier will subsidize the phones only to some certain extend, depending on brand and sales projections. After the "fiasco" with the original Pre (my day 1 O2 Germany Pre still runs smooth as ever) the carriers might be sceptic.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rkev View Post
    I think they are still figuring out their strategy, which is absolutely fair.
    Wouldn't HP have figured out their strategy prior to (or at least concurrent with) the design, production and announcement of new devices? To be developing a strategy at this point seems ludicrous to me.
    Back to the OP, the announcement yesterday where tablets and computers were talked about but no phones, IMO, makes it even clearer that HP views the corporate and government users as their customers - not the individual consumer.

With or without a phone, a tablet, laptop, desktop and printer that integrated seamlessly with a corporate or government "cloud" would be the "beyond the I-pad" market that the tablet is in search of. On the other hand, most companies are locked into a specific carrier and can't change that easily, if at all. Can you imagine GM switching all of its cell phone business from AT@T to Verizon because the Pre3 came out? Not very likely, but they might buy thousands of webOs tablets that worked with the thousands of HP computers and printers they are going to buy anyway.

HP does not want to be tied to the limitation of only being able to sell to companies that use the carrier that takes the pre3 (if any) and this ties with the very earliest statements of HP when they bought Palm which made it clear that phones where not the most important item on their product list.
    Not sure why the OP is saying the TP was announced but no the Pre3 for June.

Here's Leo's actual quote from yesterday:
    Speaking at a question and answer session in San Francisco, Apotheker elaborated on comments made about the WebOS during his keynote. He said:

We’ll be shipping this (webOS) on dedicated devices—smartphones and our tablet—in June. From that date there will be wave after wave to support the WebOS.

...Apotheker noted that Microsoft remains a key partner, but clearly HP thinks the webOS will be a “very massive, very broad platform.”
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    I'm about to go into a meeting so can't check but I'm pretty sure that's he said "from june" but in an earlier statement did said specifically touchpad from June.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Not sure why the OP is saying the TP was announced but no the Pre3 for June.

Here's Leo's actual quote from yesterday:
    I didn't see exactly what you're quoting, I was just going off the PreCentral main page, Dieter wrote:

HP CEO Leo Apotheker just answered at question at the HP Summit and happened to mention a couple tidbits:

The TouchPad will launch in June
    There's a longer post, but nothing specific about Pre3.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    If the carriers refuse to carry them...can they not just make GSM Unlocked, and CDMA unlocked phones?
    Carriers will want exclusivity, that's why in North America the unlocked version always comes last.

There's no such thing as "CDMA unlocked". They're "locked" in a sense that the unit is whitelisted on one carrier only.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Carriers will want exclusivity, that's why in North America the unlocked version always comes last.

There's no such thing as "CDMA unlocked". They're "locked" in a sense that the unit is whitelisted on one carrier only.
    I think that's assuming a lot right now. With the track record of phones with webOS, which carrier wants the exclusivity?
    Probably still negotiating carrier agreements. Can't say much until an agreement is in place which also includes the carriers ability to market the device in parallel with HP.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    I dont like the ambiguity there. Technically WebOS is already shipping on smart phones. Pre Plus, Pixies of various types, the Pre 2 and he could just as easily be referencing the Veer since It was alleged to have a Spring launch. Until someone actually says I can buy a Pre3 on "x" day I'll just have to keep hoping its coming and pray its coming to Sprint.
    hp hasn't released any specifics about the veer yet, let alone the pre3
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I think that's assuming a lot right now. With the track record of phones with webOS, which carrier wants the exclusivity?
    OK I admit there's some generalization going on. At least the carriers here in Canada are like that. Regardless of the phone, the carriers seem to want some kind of exclusivity if it's anything dumbphone.

Case in point, the Samsung Captivate, Vibrant, Fascinate are all practically the same phone, however they had to have these "exclusive" models for the 3 carriers here to be "exclusive" on those.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    My guess is that HP Palm wants to release the Pre 3 on all 3 major carriers. Why? According to Ruby releasing the Pre- as a Sprint exclusive for such a long period of time was a big mistake, but couldn't pass the good deal they were getting from Sprint. Now, that Palm is with HP, money is not an issue. Therefore, selling the Pre 3 on all 3 major carriers will benefit HP much more than picking an exclusivity. I hope they can figure this out soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    My guess is that HP Palm wants to release the Pre 3 on all 3 major carriers. Why? According to Ruby releasing the Pre- as a Sprint exclusive for such a long period of time was a big mistake, but couldn't pass the good deal they were getting from Sprint. Now, that Palm is with HP, money is not an issue. Therefore, selling the Pre 3 on all 3 major carriers will benefit HP much more than picking an exclusivity. I hope they can figure this out soon.
    If they want to sell it exclusive for a month or so, that's fine.
    but
    they must also keep offering their devices unlocked via HP.. and globally as well.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast