Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    I think most people out here see the PALM only side of HP - which makes since being we're on PreCentral. However, I think all these assumptions are wrong and the reason Leo doesn't mention the Pre3 like the TouchPad is because tablets are all the buzz. On Tuesday, Leo spoke about all of HP, a company of over 100 divisions, 10,000 products, a massive services organizations, over 315,000 employees and a revenue of $120 billion plus.

While the phones are important for the touch-to-share and call\text forwarding to TP, they are not the media buzz many out here think they should be. It's been announced that HP will have the Veer and Pre3 by summer and other devices before years end. So Leo is focused on selling the big picture, WebOS on 100 million devices a year, tieing the enterprise business and consumer together via the cloud. Pulling this off is massive for HP. If phones fail, PreCentral dies but HP will survive and I'm sure will continue to grow.
    If HP thinks like that they are digging their own grave. Look what the iPhone has done for Apple. They are thinking post PC as jobs said. The iphone and ipad is part of a systems together with iOS that has changed the way people think about mobile computing. With Pre3, WebOS and Touchpad HP is in a great position to challenge or at least be a business side alternate to Apple. If they ignore the central part the smartphone represents to business and non business users alike, they must be pretending it's still the 90's where selling billions of PC's will happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by rkev View Post
    That sounds good on paper, but I don't think that can be done without phone or tablet hardware. If WebOS just becomes a plugin on HP PCs, it's not gonna mean much. Not when Microsoft is also talking "To the Cloud" in their current commercials and will have Windows 8 with an app store and all. I mean...what's gonna be on more PCs...Windows 8 or WebOS?
    Try and stay with me this time. HP is a lot bigger than Palm and HP was the largest tech company in the world before they decided to see what buying Palm would bring. They are taking WebOS to new hights for sure and I never said a life without tablets. Even if the WebOS vision fails to take off and fades away, HP will survive.
    Quote Originally Posted by theattack View Post
    If HP thinks like that they are digging their own grave.
    Again, folks out here seem to not grasp how big HP is and what they do - outside the mobile space. Hell, they are just getting started in the mobile space and I hope WebOS thrives in the enterprise and consumer space.

HP is not digging their own grave if WebOS fails. Give me a break. This isn't a company like Palm or Apple, which have very narrow product lines and focused offerings.

Again, I hope this takes off and think it will, but HP will survive without a phone division.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Again, I hope this takes off and think it will, but HP will survive without a phone division.
    Good point. Unfortunately it seems like many people who comment on sites and forums like this one and other tech blogs believe that they can destroy an entire company simply by typing the words "epic fail"
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Again, folks out here seem to not grasp how big HP is and what they do - outside the mobile space. Hell, they are just getting started in the mobile space and I hope WebOS thrives in the enterprise and consumer space.

HP is not digging their own grave if WebOS fails. Give me a break. This isn't a company like Palm or Apple, which have very narrow product lines and focused offerings.

The fact that they are big means nothing. Microsoft is big and they are failing badly in the mobile space right now. Nokia is big and they are too.

Of course HP will survive* without a phone division. That was never in doubt. But who cares? We're interested in phones, specifically WebOS phones, and I doubt many of us will be back here if it turns into HPPrinterCentral.

*though they will leave a lot of money on the table as Apple has shown.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jouster View Post
    The fact that they are big means nothing. Microsoft is big and they are failing badly in the mobile space right now. Nokia is big and they are too.

Of course HP will survive* without a phone division. That was never in doubt. But who cares? We're interested in phones, specifically WebOS phones, and I doubt many of us will be back here if it turns into HPPrinterCentral.

*though they will leave a lot of money on the table as Apple has shown.
    Did you read the thread or just my last post? My comments were directly in response to someone stating HP is digging their own grave if they think like that - meaning without a phone division they are done. Again, I think it will be a success and WebOS will be huge over the next several years.

As I stated in a previous post, this site would be gone if that phone business didn't succeed and we would all move on. Not the end of the world and not an "epic fail." Life in the mobile space would continue - as Apple and others have shown.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Did you read the thread or just my last post? My comments were directly in response to someone stating HP is digging their own grave if they think like that - meaning without a phone division they are done. Again, I think it will be a success and WebOS will be huge over the next several years.

As I stated in a previous post, this site would be gone if that phone business didn't succeed and we would all move on. Not the end of the world and not an "epic fail." Life in the mobile space would continue - as Apple and others have shown.
    I was agreeing with you that HP would obviously survive without a phone division. And I was disagreeing with your first sentence, which seems to link their size with future success in the mobile arena, which other large companies have shown is not necessarily the case. I certainly hope they're successful and that WebOS will be huge.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Yeah, but some of us love this PHONE OS, and we want HP to take it more seriously or at least as seriously as they do the tablet version.
    As much as I'm clamoring for a carrier and release date for the Pre3 already, I'm not sure that we can say that HP isn't taking phones seriously simply due to the fact that we do have a slightly more specific time frame for the launch of TouchPad than we do for the Pre3. If we don't see the Veer before the TouchPad then maybe I can understand since they said that would be ready in the spring. Patience is running thin but I think I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now. Now if the Pre3 is released and has a ton of bugs and is laggy, then that's a different story...
    I agree give them a shot. The Pre 3 is a super great device. Better then the iPhone 4 (I think) and can keep its own with devices like the Atrix and samsung galaxy s II. I think if they didn't take it serously we'll only see Veer and Pre 2 size phones and they would be released now and not going up against the iPhone 5. HP must think they have a winner to do that.
    Yeah, but some of us love this PHONE OS, and we want HP to take it more seriously or at least as seriously as they do the tablet version.
    oh they do. I believe they are very committed to the phone space and we should see the benefits of this in the coming years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jouster View Post
    I was agreeing with you that HP would obviously survive without a phone division. And I was disagreeing with your first sentence, which seems to link their size with future success in the mobile arena, which other large companies have shown is not necessarily the case. I certainly hope they're successful and that WebOS will be huge.
    Ah, I got ya. That makes since. Again, I sure hope it is a big success and we are enjoy WebOs and their phones for years to come.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theattack View Post
    Is it safe to assume if the Touchpad is coming June so will the Pre3? If so why not mention it. You really get contradicting vibes. Most of the HP statements make the Touchpad and WebOs on the PC and the focus, but every now and then they say "we dont intend to be an also ran in the smarphone business". So do something already! Announce, release, update....we're waiting.
    I think you hit the nail on the head. Not only were there no more announcements of other devices, the Pre3 has slipped what we were originally told.
    Palm III -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Sprint FrankenPixi+ -> Blackberry Bold 9930
    Quote Originally Posted by libray View Post
    I think you hit the nail on the head. Not only were there no more announcements of other devices, the Pre3 has slipped what we were originally told.
    We were originally told summer and it is still summer, so what date has slipped?
    Quote Originally Posted by libray View Post
    Apart from what bevcraw says above me (they never said JUNE for Pre3, they said SUMMER), you think it's bad that the Pre3 was announced so early. You also think it's bad there haven't been any more announcements. How does that work?

Maybe HP is listening and will, in the future, only make announcements when the product is in fact ready to ship. As you command. So what's the issue?
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Apart from what bevcraw says above me (they never said JUNE for Pre3, they said SUMMER), you think it's bad that the Pre3 was announced so early. You also think it's bad there haven't been any more announcements. How does that work?

Maybe HP is listening and will, in the future, only make announcements when the product is in fact ready to ship. As you command. So what's the issue?
    The summer is that time of the year when students are out of school, and some have summer jobs that they use to pay for a new cell phone or other items. All those "back to school sales" and such. I suspect that the big concern right now is for the Pre 3 to come out during that time when there are sales. People are still annoyed that it has been over a year since the Pre Plus came out, so even with an annual refresh cycle, people expected to see something new at this point, or at LEAST, some news that the phone is actually packaged and ready to ship.

You obviously have never gone through the experience as a child where you are told by your parents to "stay here while I go do whatever", and you are waiting for over an hour, not knowing how long it will be, bored out of your mind, but stuck waiting because you have no choice. After a while, the idea of waiting with no known end to the wait, without knowing why things are taking so long brings back that childhood memory for MANY, and causes anger.

HP needs to SAY something, ANYTHING. Tell us the status of the Pre 3, what is taking so long? I know that the whole merger did throw some things off, but if they felt confident in announcing a product in February, then shouldn't they feel confident about telling us something in "The Summer", even to say it is still on track for a summer release?
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post

I hope you're right.
    Palm III -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Sprint FrankenPixi+ -> Blackberry Bold 9930
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123