Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 56
  1. #21  
    I love that everybody is heatedly discussion which of the three carriers, whether all of them, or if any of them will get the Pre 3...

    ...as if there were only three carriers in the world, and as if HP were only interested in the American market.

    I think we'll see lots of international carrier announcements when the products actually get ready to ship.
  2. LNWJ's Avatar
    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    #22  
    No doubt the Pre3/Veer will be released in Europe 1st like the Pre2 and "in the following months" will hit VZ/AT&T.

    If HP doesn't make any US carrier announcements "in the coming weeks", I'll be "shopping for a new smartphone platform".

    :/
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    My guess is that HP Palm wants to release the Pre 3 on all 3 major carriers. Why? According to Ruby releasing the Pre- as a Sprint exclusive for such a long period of time was a big mistake, but couldn't pass the good deal they were getting from Sprint. Now, that Palm is with HP, money is not an issue. Therefore, selling the Pre 3 on all 3 major carriers will benefit HP much more than picking an exclusivity. I hope they can figure this out soon.
    This all depends on whether or not HP is willing to endure the expense. The carriers typically trade exclusivity for higher subsidies. But what about in the future if/when HP no longer wants to cover those costs?
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I'm thinking that they are having problems with carrier agreements for their smartphones. There hasn't been a mention of any carrier for a long time.
    I don't know if we can assume thats the reason for the mum on carriers. Lets look at it this way. If it is going to be on all carriers, Verizon probably don't want to announce that thre Pre 3 is coming this summer when the Pre 2 was just released. Even though the stores don't focus on it, it's never a smart thing to do to announce BEFORE a product is released that it will be out dated in a few months (if they announced it Feb 9th it would have been).

    Yet if they announce its coming to Sprint and ATT, and just not announce it for Verizon, it could possibly make some Palm Pre Plus owners mad because they might have been considering to upgrade to the Pre 3.

    So they stay mum on it till Verizon is okay with it being announced.

    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Not sure why the OP is saying the TP was announced but no the Pre3 for June.

    Here's Leo's actual quote from yesterday:
    Thanks for that.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I doubt that any HP smartphone is going to be launched on all carriers anytime soon. My guess is that in order to get a single carrier to launch one of their phones, HP will have to grant an exclusive.
    I didn't give any sort of time frame in my post. I am simply stating that they don't want the Pre 2 not to sell. If they say "hey verizon customers, in the summer you can get a bigger and better phone" more then likely they will not buy the Pre 2. Verizon doesn't want that -- they do want th device to sell as good as it can. Even if it's coming to Sprint first, Verizon second and ATT next, who knows the time frame and I did not actually give one.

    All I am saying is we don't know what partnerships have been made in the background because it has not been announced. You are assuming that means a bad thing. It could just be the carrier of choice wants to remain mum on it for now, focus on something else -- aka, the Pre 2.
  6. verno329's Avatar
    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    I didn't give any sort of time frame in my post. I am simply stating that they don't want the Pre 2 not to sell. If they say "hey verizon customers, in the summer you can get a bigger and better phone" more then likely they will not buy the Pre 2. Verizon doesn't want that -- they do want th device to sell as good as it can. Even if it's coming to Sprint first, Verizon second and ATT next, who knows the time frame and I did not actually give one.

    All I am saying is we don't know what partnerships have been made in the background because it has not been announced. You are assuming that means a bad thing. It could just be the carrier of choice wants to remain mum on it for now, focus on something else -- aka, the Pre 2.
    Unfortunately that has already happened. People who are interested in webOS likely already know that by buying a Pre2 they are buying a device that will be outdated within a few months. And Verizon is making zero effort to push the Pre2 and are actually making it difficult for the general consumer to find information on webOS unless its on their own. I went into two different Verizon stores here and had to inform sales reps in both stores that they do actually carry the Pre2 (not in stock or even a demo, of course).

    I agree that we don't know what HP is planning on carrier wise but I don't think they are holding back on announcing anything to appease Verizon so they can sell some more Pre2's. They couldn't seem to care less if they sell any. All you have to do is look at the fact that Verizon is selling them for $149 with a 2 yr contract while HP is giving them away for free with a 2 yr contract to know they are not invested in the Pre2, and given their history with the Pre Plus, possibly even in webOS in general.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by verno329 View Post
    I agree that we don't know what HP is planning on carrier wise but I don't think they are holding back on announcing anything to appease Verizon so they can sell some more Pre2's. They couldn't seem to care less if they sell any. All you have to do is look at the fact that Verizon is selling them for $149 with a 2 yr contract while HP is giving them away for free with a 2 yr contract to know they are not invested in the Pre2, and given their history with the Pre Plus, possibly even in webOS in general.
    I do see your point. It may not be to appease Verzion, but we still can not assume the reason carriers have not been announced is because they don't have support. Another possible reason is HP didn't want to announce their slab on Feb 9th and the Pre 3 is not coming to Sprint, but the slab is. They knew if they announced carriers and Sprint was not one of those, that we Sprint users would be mad. So instead all the media hype being about Sprint not getting the Pre 3 {equals bad press} and not the product itself {which is good press} they stayed mum.

    And I am sure there are other possible reasons for it, too. We don't know and wont know. Unless the Pre 3 does not come to Sprint and another phone does, then we might have a better idea.

    But with Verizon not pushing the Pre 3, I don't know why HP would want to give them the Pre 3.
  8. #28  
    Don't we have to assume the pre3 will be released at the same time or very close to the touchpad? They work together so closely with touch-to share that it would be a mistake to not sell them bundled (at a discount) and marketed together.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  9. verno329's Avatar
    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    I do see your point. It may not be to appease Verzion, but we still can not assume the reason carriers have not been announced is because they don't have support. Another possible reason is HP didn't want to announce their slab on Feb 9th and the Pre 3 is not coming to Sprint, but the slab is. They knew if they announced carriers and Sprint was not one of those, that we Sprint users would be mad. So instead all the media hype being about Sprint not getting the Pre 3 {equals bad press} and not the product itself {which is good press} they stayed mum.
    I wish they were going to release a slab too. Not because I want one, because I prefer the slider with the physical keyboard myself, but because that would give people more choices and potentially remove an obstacle that many people have about switching to webOS (disliking the form factor).

    However I would really be stunned if HP pulled out another style of phone anytime between now and say CES next year. They already announced two phones and a tablet in Feb that they didn't plan on making available til months later. If they had a slab to include in their new arsenal of phones why not announce it at the same time, even if they knew it wouldn't be ready for consumers until say Nov. Its not like they have an issue with making customers wait. That would have gotten the tech world talking and buzzing about webOS.

    The situation I'm in is this: my Pre- is in need of an upgrade (which could also be read as "I really want to make a new tech purchase soon/now"). My Sprint contract ends in June. If I knew that the Pre3 would be available in June (on whatever network) I could wait until then and buy the Pre3. If the Pre3 doesn't come out until Sept (which would still fall under the term "summer" that they mentioned at the event in Feb) then I can't wait that long, and would jump ship to Verizon and the Pre2, possibly on a 1 yr contract. If the Pre3 isn't going to be ready till Sept, fine. Just let me know that so I can start the terms of a Verizon contract early enough. The thought of waiting 6 months from now AND having to switch carriers to get the Pre3 is too much for me now. I would order a Pre2 from HP wireless tomorrow or be willing to wait until June for a Pre3. Either option is fine with me.

    All I want is for HP to give the information I need to make an educated buying decision. I'm going to stick with webOS no matter what. I just want to know what my options really are.
  10. verno329's Avatar
    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spade View Post
    Don't we have to assume the pre3 will be released at the same time or very close to the touchpad? They work together so closely with touch-to share that it would be a mistake to not sell them bundled (at a discount) and marketed together.
    Logically, yes. But I'm not sure that logic is necessarily HP's strong suit as it concerns webOS. Leo did say that there would be waves of new devices following the release of the TouchPad, but why not mention that the Pre3 is one of those waves? Even if he said that the carrier is still to be determined?

    As I said above, my fear is that the Pre3 is not going to be available until Sept (admittedly this is based on nothing). I don't see them being bundled because if the pricing of $499 for the 16GB wifi version is correct then the bundled price of the two would be around $600 or $700 minimum. That's a little too pricey imo to sell large quantities of at one time (at least for me). My personal plan would be to buy the phone first and then save up for the TP but it would be hard for me to justify buying all at the same time.

    But I agree that they should be released closely together regardless. It makes too much sense not to, which is probably why it won't happen
  11. #31  
    From a business stand point, iPad is dominating the Tablet market. To please the investors, they want to know what HP is doing to try to take some of that market share. Thus announcing the TouchPad more important than Pre3.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by verno329 View Post
    I wish they were going to release a slab too. Not because I want one, because I prefer the slider with the physical keyboard myself, but because that would give people more choices and potentially remove an obstacle that many people have about switching to webOS (disliking the form factor).

    However I would really be stunned if HP pulled out another style of phone anytime between now and say CES next year. They already announced two phones and a tablet in Feb that they didn't plan on making available til months later. If they had a slab to include in their new arsenal of phones why not announce it at the same time, even if they knew it wouldn't be ready for consumers until say Nov. Its not like they have an issue with making customers wait. That would have gotten the tech world talking and buzzing about webOS.

    The situation I'm in is this: my Pre- is in need of an upgrade (which could also be read as "I really want to make a new tech purchase soon/now"). My Sprint contract ends in June. If I knew that the Pre3 would be available in June (on whatever network) I could wait until then and buy the Pre3. If the Pre3 doesn't come out until Sept (which would still fall under the term "summer" that they mentioned at the event in Feb) then I can't wait that long, and would jump ship to Verizon and the Pre2, possibly on a 1 yr contract. If the Pre3 isn't going to be ready till Sept, fine. Just let me know that so I can start the terms of a Verizon contract early enough. The thought of waiting 6 months from now AND having to switch carriers to get the Pre3 is too much for me now. I would order a Pre2 from HP wireless tomorrow or be willing to wait until June for a Pre3. Either option is fine with me.

    All I want is for HP to give the information I need to make an educated buying decision. I'm going to stick with webOS no matter what. I just want to know what my options really are.
    We do know -- or suspect -- five or six devices this year from HP Palm. TouchPad, Pre 3, Veer and Opal does not equal five or six. Thats at least one or two more devices. Maybe thats why Pre 3 is coming out in the Summer 2011. Maybe they have another flagship coming in May 2011 (Sprint 2011) and they will announce it closer.

    Why would they do that? HP TouchPad was clearly their highlight for Feb 9th event. And maybe this is all just optimistic thinking! We'll see!

    But I am in the same boat. May 2011 I can buy a new phone. I will buy a phone May or June 2011. Hopefully thats a Pre 3. {understand I actually don't want a slab phone and like the Pre 3}.
  13. #33  
    I talked to THREE Verizon representatives on their chat line and they ALL said they WOULD get the Pre 3 come summer time. Also I swear I heard somebody from HP speaking about Verizon... Maybe the keynote? I don't know. That's proof enough for me.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Whatever they have coming this year, it would be a mistake to continue announcing new devices when they haven't even released their already-announced ones. The Pre 3 would suffer the same fate as the Pre 2 - being overlooked for a successor coming some months down the line.
    How would the Pre 3 be overlooked when announcing a device coming in May 2011 then release the Pre 3 Sept 2011 (which is still Summer 2011)?
  15. #35  
    I think most people out here see the PALM only side of HP - which makes since being we're on PreCentral. However, I think all these assumptions are wrong and the reason Leo doesn't mention the Pre3 like the TouchPad is because tablets are all the buzz. On Tuesday, Leo spoke about all of HP, a company of over 100 divisions, 10,000 products, a massive services organizations, over 315,000 employees and a revenue of $120 billion plus.

    While the phones are important for the touch-to-share and call\text forwarding to TP, they are not the media buzz many out here think they should be. It's been announced that HP will have the Veer and Pre3 by summer and other devices before years end. So Leo is focused on selling the big picture, WebOS on 100 million devices a year, tieing the enterprise business and consumer together via the cloud. Pulling this off is massive for HP. If phones fail, PreCentral dies but HP will survive and I'm sure will continue to grow.
  16. #36  
    +1

    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    I think most people out here see the PALM only side of HP - which makes since being we're on PreCentral. However, I think all these assumptions are wrong and the reason Leo doesn't mention the Pre3 like the TouchPad is because tablets are all the buzz. On Tuesday, Leo spoke about all of HP, a company of over 100 divisions, 10,000 products, a massive services organizations, over 315,000 employees and a revenue of $120 billion plus.

    While the phones are important for the touch-to-share and call\text forwarding to TP, they are not the media buzz many out here think they should be. It's been announced that HP will have the Veer and Pre3 by summer and other devices before years end. So Leo is focused on selling the big picture, WebOS on 100 million devices a year, tieing the enterprise business and consumer together via the cloud. Pulling this off is massive for HP. If phones fail, PreCentral dies but HP will survive and I'm sure will continue to grow.
  17. verno329's Avatar
    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    #37  
    If HP is able to announce a phone and release it in such a short time frame I would be ecstatic but unfortunately I'm in a "I'll believe it when I see it" frame of mind regarding HP. In the future I do think they'll be able to do that but until that happens I'm suspicious. A slab phone would be great to give people options and I think they could get away with it now where they couldn't before when they were Palm. Palm was known for their physical keyboards but they have a fresh chance now as HP to do both physical and virtual keyboards.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by verno329 View Post
    Logically, yes. But I'm not sure that logic is necessarily HP's strong suit as it concerns webOS. Leo did say that there would be waves of new devices following the release of the TouchPad, but why not mention that the Pre3 is one of those waves? Even if he said that the carrier is still to be determined?

    As I said above, my fear is that the Pre3 is not going to be available until Sept (admittedly this is based on nothing). I don't see them being bundled because if the pricing of $499 for the 16GB wifi version is correct then the bundled price of the two would be around $600 or $700 minimum. That's a little too pricey imo to sell large quantities of at one time (at least for me). My personal plan would be to buy the phone first and then save up for the TP but it would be hard for me to justify buying all at the same time.

    But I agree that they should be released closely together regardless. It makes too much sense not to, which is probably why it won't happen
    How sweet would it be if you got a FREE Pre3 with a touchpad purchase?!?
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    They would be better off throwing in a free netbook. It would be cheaper.
    Only if "better off" implies cheaper. If "better off" means, HP wants to be seen as webos ecosystem, they may bundle so as to get alot of users on their platforms.

    Speculation regarding not announcing Pre3. If a carrier is getting ready to announce Pre3, HP may not have wanted to steal their thunder.
  20. verno329's Avatar
    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    If a carrier is getting ready to announce Pre3, HP may not have wanted to steal their thunder.
    As long as there is thunder I'll be happy

    Seriously, I just want to be able to make an educated decision. I'm afraid that whatever decision I make now I could be regretting it once somebody makes an official announcement. And I don't want to wait till "the coming months" to make that decision.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions