Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeeganDoomFire View Post
    My pre- is dieing a slow and painful death. I think one of the cells in the battery went or something cause it is fine until 50% then it just dies!
    I had the same problem. My battery would only last till about 40 or 50 percent and then drop down to zero. I bought a new batter on ebay for about 5 dollars. Its working a lot better now.
  2. dec
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    Not sure if my sprint pre s going to make it. Hopefully there is a Pre3 annoucement soon.
    I'm in same boat . . . literally limping to the finish line --- HURRY HP & Sprint ~
    My pre was doomed from the start... on my second one now :P
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    Even IF the Pre3 comes out on Sprint, IF it isn't 4G, I may go EVO or Shift.
    Tough decision. If I have to pay an extra $10 for data, may as well go 4G.
    Noooo!!!! I have the Evo right now and 4G is great but it is nothing compared to what my old broken down 2 year old Sprint Pre is. You WILL regret it if you do. I just bought the evo a few months back after my pre finally died on me, just to try out Android and 4g until the next palm device. It is a great device but I would trade it right now for a pre-. 4G just ain't what its cracked up to be, it should not be drawn like a gun by all the carriers. Please, trust me.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    Noooo!!!! I have the Evo right now and 4G is great but it is nothing compared to what my old broken down 2 year old Sprint Pre is. You WILL regret it if you do. I just bought the evo a few months back after my pre finally died on me, just to try out Android and 4g until the next palm device. It is a great device but I would trade it right now for a pre-. 4G just ain't what its cracked up to be, it should not be drawn like a gun by all the carriers. Please, trust me.
    Thank you for your honest and encouraging post. I'm on the tail end of my 5th Pre- (1.4.5) and feeling more and more left behind and most are moving forward to newest (tweakable for brave original owners and legit for newer devices) update. Patches and development are moving on and all I can do is sit and watch as things progress. I choose not to update to 2.x at this time. I just assume let the kinks get worked out and have plenty of options to easily tap into when the Pre3 becomes available.
    I've had more than a few moments of wanting to jump ship, to the Evo only but I just can't let go of my completely personalised Pre. 100,000+ apps do not impress me, user fluidity and functionality do. Not to mention the progressive community within that has made this all worth while.
    Like others who are original Sprint Pre owners I'm into WebOS for the long haul with the promising new advancements coming in the near future, finally..
    Excited for the new era of where WebOS will go.. .
    Buy a Pre 2, then just swap the comboards. I'm a 16 year old and I did it to use the GSM one I got from the developer program and swapped the comboard from my Pre Plus. I'm on VZW.
    I just purchased a new battery for my launch day Pre on Amazon for cheap. Hopefully that will make using this phone for another few months a little more bearable. I was getting 8 hours out of my old battery on a good day. And that is if I barely used the phone. I am hoping to get a couple of days out of the new one like I did when my Pre was new.
    My Pre- is also dying...I can't plug it in anymore without the screen blacking out for awhile. I can use my Touchstone to charge and Wifi Media Sync for data, but still...kinda nice to be able to plug in my phone...
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    I have the same problem, my pre plus is very nearly dead. I am due an upgrade on thursday, so I have ordered the pre 2. And in the summer, or autumn if the UK have to wait so long for the phone again, my mum will be taking over that contract, so I can get a pre 3

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I too was struggling with a dieing Pre and was hoping to wait for the Pre 3, I bit the bullet though and got a Pre 2. I'm not sure what i'm going to do when the 3 comes out. Might not do anything since I really, really like the Pre 2.

ET
    How do you guys like the Pre2? How does it compare to the Pre?
    This past week I was on a business trip to NY, and the power socket on my Pre- went out! Yikes! Not good to be travelling and have that happen. I figured out that if I hold the power cable just right, it will actually charge.

I never bought a touchstone, but I found a new in box one on craigslist for $20. Now I gotta buy a back, and hopefully this power solution will get me by until the Pre3 is announced.

Yes, I hope it is announced way sooner than "summer"... like hopefully by the end of April, prior to the busy summer travelling season.

If Sprint doesn't get the Pre3, I know I'm gonna be quite frustrated and not happy, after having limped along with my Pre- for nearly 2 years. (My second one btw, the headphone jack completely went out on my original one, and I got this one in the summer of 2010).

I -almost- went and got an Evo Shift this weekend, but decided to try this touchstone route first and hopefully that will buy me some time until the Pre3 is announced.

Sprint still has the best pricing of all the carriers so far.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    ^ it could also be the charging cable itself...my original cable (july 09) just went out.
    Yes, pres are put together like horse crap.
    I just got my fourth pre minus the other day from the Sprint store. I have insurance so it's very easy to exchange out for a refurb when things stop working - like volume rocker burning out, minimize button burning out, phone shutting off when you open the slider, etc. On top of those, you get your usual scratches, slider feeling looser, USB port cover falling off and the stress cracks that develop around it so the Pre really looks and feels like crap.

It's a pain to switch out the phone and transfer my texts/pics/ringers/etc and put all the patches back but it does put a "new" pre in my hands again so it feels like I have a new phone. It'll allow me to hold off until Pre 3 comes out. One could argue that it's a waste of money to pay $7 a month for such a crappy phone but when you're exchanging phones as much as I have and having insurance means difference between difficult exchange/no exchange and trouble free no questions asked exchange (thus far, they have not faulted me so I had not paid the deductible), to me it's been worth it. It's almost like ppl that continuously lease cars so they can drive a new car every two years. I get a new (refurb) pre, ahem, every 6 months or so... I don't think a typical Pre can look/feel new beyond a few months of constant use.

I've treaded the Android waters dangerously close. Almost bought an Epic a few months ago and my sister just got an Evo. I played with her phone... my goodness, I ABSOLUTELY HATE ANDROID. I thought if I played with it long enough, I'd grow to accept it but I just can't come to accept it. Web OS for me.
    Last edited by laoh; 03/14/2011 at 10:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    Even IF the Pre3 comes out on Sprint, IF it isn't 4G, I may go EVO or Shift.
    Tough decision. If I have to pay an extra $10 for data, may as well go 4G.
    I said I would never jump to the dark side, but my pre was having hiccups and I had enough waiting for webos 2.x, so i bought a evo shift off contract for $200, so if the pre 3 comes to sprint i can still use my upgrade.

One thing has gotten me through the weird interface - apps. Man o man are there apps. I have not even rooted it yet since there are so many things to do when it is stock. keyboard is fine, but find myself using the onscreen keyboard more in portrait mode. The phone is faster at 800mhz than my oc pre- felt at 1000mhz imho.

Will I be back - as soon as the app catalog starts to fill up. The wifey will stay on her pre, no way would she tolerate the android. she picked it up and was swipping all over the screen trying to make the open app go away. Was kinda funny
    Quote Originally Posted by fanaticalman2 View Post
    I just purchased a new battery for my launch day Pre on Amazon for cheap. Hopefully that will make using this phone for another few months a little more bearable. I was getting 8 hours out of my old battery on a good day. And that is if I barely used the phone. I am hoping to get a couple of days out of the new one like I did when my Pre was new.
    It worked for me. I'm back to getting 2-3 days between charging.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazirker View Post
    My Pre- is also dying...I can't plug it in anymore without the screen blacking out for awhile. I can use my Touchstone to charge and Wifi Media Sync for data, but still...kinda nice to be able to plug in my phone...
    Try a new battery. My pre would go blank on the touch stone and turn off and at odd times of the day, I'd have to restart it to get it back on or take the battery out and put it back in. I got a new battery and this behavior totally stopped. 5 Bucks on amazon.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    My Pre - is luckily going strong, but the problem is that the rest of my family on our shared Sprint plan have phones that are not doing so well! In addition our contracts are up and now everyone is waiting to get new phones but of course since I am the designated gadget buyer, everyone is waiting for me!!!!!

I don't know if I can wait much longer. I would like to get a Pre 3 but everyone else in my family plan wants the EVO or rumored EVO 3D. HP better hurry up bc I doubt I can wait till June...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I'm about to pull the trigger on an ebay pre- for my wife. Is there anything I need to know about activation?
    Good news!
    It looks like if we can all hold off until June - that's when the new hardware is being released.

Quote from Leo Apotheker at yesterday's event:
    Speaking at a question and answer session in San Francisco, Apotheker elaborated on comments made about the WebOS during his keynote. He said:

We’ll be shipping this (WebOS) on dedicated devices—smartphones and our tablet—in June. From that date there will be wave after wave to support the WebOS.

...Apotheker noted that Microsoft remains a key partner, but clearly HP thinks the WebOS will be a “very massive, very broad platform.
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Good news!
    It looks like if we can all hold off until June - that's when the new hardware is being released.

Quote from Leo Apotheker at yesterday's event:
    Sorry to be pessimistic, but there is no date or details about Pre 3 availability on Sprint. Come to think of it, my Pre minus is on deathbed. I bet many folks will abandon Pre Minus if they don't get the Pre 3 before June 2011 on Sprint.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast