Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The Pre Plus was my first smartphone. I got it the month it arrived at Verizon and paid a lot for it.

I'd never texted, emailed, etc, on a phone. So, when I got the Pre Plus, I had no idea the keyboard issues (endless missed letters no matter how hard I pressed or how slow I typed, and then multiple letters too) weren't about my newbie status.

Techy friends tried it--same problems. Speed texters used it--really irritated. (One said, "I'd throw that across the room if it were mine.") I've used their Droids--fast, easy and accurate!

Once I figured out it was the phone, it was way too late to exchange it. So, I've spent countless minutes typing/fixing texts that should take seconds. Really, hours wasted typing on that thing these past 1.5 years.

Now I'm counting the minutes until my new-every-two credit with Verizon is available and I can get rid of this.

And that's too bad, because I LOVE everything else about this phone. Would have upgraded immediately--except that freakin' keyboard.

Since the Pre 3 looks identical and neither voice text/email or a virtual keyboard has been added, I'm headed to the Droid camp and have already started research to choose my next phone.

Sounds silly, but I'm sad. Really wanted to stay in the Palm family.
    I feel your pain, dude. I had a Sammy i760 with some non-functional keys which made it a huge pain to use for simple stuff.

The hardware of the Pre+ is different than the current Pre2, and even more different than the Pre3 will be. The Pre3 is supposed to have a slightly wider keyboard, with a different feel. Similar form factor though. FWIW i have a VZW Pre+ which has had zero keyboard issues.

As for the virtual keyboard, it is disabled in 2.1, but i bet by the time the 2.2 is out it will be enabled and working well.
    Verizon pre has a messed up keyboard. Dust particles got into it during manufacturing. There is a procedure around here that shows you how to clean it and fix the issue.
    Well, here's a little something you should do before you "head off to Droid camp". Walk over to an AT&T store, I know the ones here still have the Pre Plus, and test out how the keyboard is working with their version.

And let us know if you have any different results!
    bye Luna
    One of the previews (i think Engadget) said that the Pre3 has one of, if not THE best keyboard on a smartphone.
    Global Posts
    824 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lunabianca View Post
    The Pre Plus was my first smartphone. I got it the month it arrived at Verizon and paid a lot for it.

I'd never texted, emailed, etc, on a phone. So, when I got the Pre Plus, I had no idea the keyboard issues (endless missed letters no matter how hard I pressed or how slow I typed, and then multiple letters too) weren't about my newbie status.

Techy friends tried it--same problems. Speed texters used it--really irritated. (One said, "I'd throw that across the room if it were mine.") I've used their Droids--fast, easy and accurate!

Once I figured out it was the phone, it was way too late to exchange it. So, I've spent countless minutes typing/fixing texts that should take seconds. Really, hours wasted typing on that thing these past 1.5 years.

Now I'm counting the minutes until my new-every-two credit with Verizon is available and I can get rid of this.

And that's too bad, because I LOVE everything else about this phone. Would have upgraded immediately--except that freakin' keyboard.

Since the Pre 3 looks identical and neither voice text/email or a virtual keyboard has been added, I'm headed to the Droid camp and have already started research to choose my next phone.

Ummm... who said it was the "same" KB?

I used it, alot at ThinkBeyond... and that is 1 of the, if not THE best KB Palm has ever made. Read some actually reviews of people that used it... they all say the same. Engadget, BGR, Precentral etc...

And yes...compared to Droid of BB its better IMO.
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    how do you know that voice/text won't arrive on the Pre. And if you think it is just like the Pre, you need to see one in person. Its the phone I want.

the Pre3 keyboard is better than any blackberry or treo or whatever...

The Pre 3 has much more spaced out keys. If you were having trouble with the keyboard, you should have had it replaced (free of charge because it is covered under a 1 year manufacturer warranty). Also, there is a virtual keyboard in webOS 2.x. You simply swipe up from the gesture area to bring it up. I had some keyboard issues on one of my Sprint Pre's and they replaced it immediately.
    correct from other post, i think first you should do more research if you intend on leaving just because of the keyboard. I myself have a pre plus (vz) on sprint with 2.1 and have to say I have never had a keyboard issue, though am aware of some that do on VZ. Even with the Pre 2 ive heard there are no issues, and the Pre 3 will be a great device with prob the best hard keyboard on the market next to the htc pro 2. Also the VK on 2.1 can be enabled (right now its just a patch in preware) though it has some bugs (though with the new uberkernel I have no issues yet) it is the best VK ive used since the iphone 3GS. Honestly I dont think anyone here can change your mind if your set on goin to android, and it is a great OS, but again research first and ask question about issues, and whats to come instead of making any kind of judgments.
    good point, I can use the VKB on 2.0 now. I removed it in a matter of seconds because I like the physical keyboard on my Pre. And the keyboad on Pre3 is the best physical keyboard I've ever tried.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-patches/270755-patch-enable-virtual-keyboard-2-0-1-a.html
    never had a problem with my at&t pre plus. for me the keyboard was really good. too bad you waited too long to get it returned. if you can still get it exchanged, i would give it another chance. im not to fond of a virtual keyboard.
    ...Since the Pre 3 looks identical and neither voice text/email or a virtual keyboard has been added, I'm headed to the Droid camp and have already started research to choose my next phone.

It may look identical, but it's not. The keyboard is larger. Also, the API's have been developed for voice access, so voice text very well may be available by the time the device is out.
    absolutely love my pre - keyboard. Easier to type on then evo virtual kb
    BYE!

Have fun in "This application has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again" land. It's fun for a day, then you really start to regret it.
    Be careful out there! Come back and visit!
    Quote Originally Posted by etx View Post
    BYE!

Have fun in "This application has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again" land. It's fun for a day, then you really start to regret it.
    Quote Originally Posted by gsparks2 View Post
    Be careful out there! Come back and visit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Amos View Post
    bye Luna
    Guys... please.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Even if the keyboard is physically improved, it looks like the same layout. I really hate the square/sym key functionality.

With the larger device they could have extended the slider one more row and add symbols/numbers along the top ala traditional qwerty.

I'm *hoping* with the bigger screen that a virtual keyboard will make sense AND also have other layout options, maybe landscape support...
    Last edited by pcimino; 03/09/2011 at 09:06 AM.
    Kookaroo, the Roku remote for webOS
    Amtrak Commuter, Check your Train schedule
    GPortal Google shortcuts for Google Plus, Google Voice, Google Tasks and other Google Services
    SiteStatus and SiteStatusPro website monitoring tools for webOS
    I am excited to get my hands on a Pre 3 and give the keyboard a test drive. I, honestly, haven't had too many issues with my keyboard on the Pre. Every once in a while I mistype a letter or two, but it is pretty rare. I love the fact that I can type on my Pre without even looking at the keypad. I have noticed that I kind of have to be staring at virtual keyboards to make sure I am typing the correct letters.

I think with slightly larger, more spaced out keys, the Pre 3 keyboard will be perfectly adequate for all users. Once the virtual keyboard is made available, users will have that option as well.

One thing I do wish the keyboard had - Directional buttons (up, down, left, right). These are nice for placing the cursor exactly where you want it. I have noticed that sometimes when I want to correct a typo, I spend too much time tapping the touchscreen trying to get my cursor in the right spot. It's a minor complaint however. It doesn't seem to happen that often.
    All the folks claiming that the Pre 3 kb is one of the, or that reviewers have called it the best, wouldn't you agree that can only be a valid assessment with a post production unit?

Sine the Pre's kb issues were mostly in hardware, a preproduction unit will tell you very little.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast