1.    #1  
    Sorry for being so uneducated on such a matter, but could anyone let me know what a world phone is please? I hear that the HP Pre 3 is a world phone. What does that mean?

Thanks
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    A phone that will work anywhere in the world. On cdma or gsm

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    samsung i730 - blackberry storm- palm pre plus - samsung omnia - palm pre plus - palm pre 2 - ????

i refuse to buy anything apple with there asinine standards, especially when theres a perfectly good standard that everybody else is using. bah.
    It is an unlocked GSM phone (possibly with some CDMA variant) which works on a variety of GSM frequencies.

See: GSM frequency bands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by keeb119 View Post
    A phone that will work anywhere in the world. On cdma or gsm

So it would work on more networks? Does this also mean it will be available unlocked, or better still in other countries (*cough* Australia *cough*)?
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post
    So it would work on more networks? Does this also mean it will be available unlocked, or better still in other countries (*cough* Australia *cough*)?
    Correct... read the article I posted above and the last paragraph says this:

If you have an unlocked phone, you might consider purchasing a prepaid SIM card from a carrier in the country you plan to visit. The per minute charges may be less than global roaming charges. The downside is you may not have the same features and number since you're using a different network
    and then you can see coverages and frequencies for countries here: GSM Coverage Maps
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Correct... read the article I posted above and the last paragraph says this:

and then you can see coverages and frequencies for countries here: GSM Coverage Maps
    Okay thats good. Thanks for the info.
    Basically, the rest of the world runs on GSM while the US has GSM (AT&T or TMobile) or CDMA (Sprint or Verizon). There are of course exception to this such as Japan which I've never understood.

GSM phones,when unlocked, allow you to hop carriers by swapping out the SIM card. This allows you to pick up a prepaid SIM when you travel overseas and use your phone without having to roam on your US provider. In case you don't know, international roaming is very costly.

CDMA world phones have both the CDMA radio (for US coverage) and a SIM slot for overseas GSM coverage either using a SIM from your US carrier or if unlocked, any carrier.

There's a few details to make it a true world phone. For voice, there are 4 frequencies used worldwide so most "world" phones would have a quadband GSM radio. For data, it gets tricky, I won't even go there.

I only use my Palm Pre in the US but when I travel overseas, I basically carry a second unlocked GSM quadband phne to use with local prepaid SIM cards.

If the Pre3 comes to Sprint, I can use it anywhere

edit: took me a while to type this up, looks like someone beat me to it
    Quote Originally Posted by rendang View Post
    Basically, the rest of the world runs on GSM while the US has GSM (AT&T or TMobile) or CDMA (Sprint or Verizon). There are of course exception to this such as Japan which I've never understood.

GSM phones,when unlocked, allow you to hop carriers by swapping out the SIM card. This allows you to pick up a prepaid SIM when you travel overseas and use your phone without having to roam on your US provider. In case you don't know, international roaming is very costly.

CDMA world phones have both the CDMA radio (for US coverage) and a SIM slot for overseas GSM coverage either using a SIM from your US carrier or if unlocked, any carrier.

There's a few details to make it a true world phone. For voice, there are 4 frequencies used worldwide so most "world" phones would have a quadband GSM radio. For data, it gets tricky, I won't even go there.

I only use my Palm Pre in the US but when I travel overseas, I basically carry a second unlocked GSM quadband phne to use with local prepaid SIM cards.

If the Pre3 comes to Sprint, I can use it anywhere

edit: took me a while to type this up, looks like someone beat me to it
    the largest company in china runs WCDMA so the rest of the world does not run on gsm only . there are a few other that have some variant of WCDMA as well and most gsm companies will be turn to using wcdma soon from what im reading. i dont understand all of it lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by shadavis08 View Post
    the largest company in china runs wcdma so the rest of the world does not run on gsm only . There are a few other that have some variant of wcdma as well and most gsm companies will be turn to using wcdma soon from what im reading. I dont understand all of it lol
    wcdma = umts = 3g gsm.
    why are they calling it gsm if its wcdma then lol thats stupid ha ha
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    So a second dumb question that kinda goes with this "dumb question." On unlocked phones do you have to buy prepaid SIM cards, or is there a way for you to just use your phone and get billed? I could imagine it getting really annoying to have to buy cards or "refill" them all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by cntchds View Post
    So a second dumb question that kinda goes with this "dumb question." On unlocked phones do you have to buy prepaid SIM cards, or is there a way for you to just use your phone and get billed? I could imagine it getting really annoying to have to buy cards or "refill" them all the time.
    You can use the SIM that world phone-offering carriers often bundle with the handset, but it's much more expensive to pay, say, Verizon Wireless an international roaming rate than it is to just get your own prepaid SIM when you cross the pond.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by cntchds View Post
    I'm on an unlocked Pre 2. I pay a monthly plan. Just buy a 'Sim only cap plan'.

I think that is available in the US, but I can only confirm this system is available in Australia as that is what I'm using.

First, thanks to the OP for this not so dumb question :-)

Follow-up question: I'm on Sprint. When (not "if"... I'm going to be positive damn it - WHEN(!)) the pre3 comes to Sprint and I want to travel internationally, who would I get a sim card from: a local carrier in the country I'm visiting or Sprint?
    Quote Originally Posted by jimijames View Post

Follow-up question: I'm on Sprint. When (not "if"... I'm going to be positive damn it - WHEN(!)) the pre3 comes to Sprint and I want to travel internationally, who would I get a sim card from: a local carrier in the country I'm visiting or Sprint?
    Biggest thing for that question is that the Sprint version of the Pre3 would have to be a World Phone and not just a Sprint CDMA version.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimijames View Post

"Local carrier in the country" preferably if it is unlocked. Verizon allows unlocking of its world phones e.g. Droid 2 global after 60 days of service. Until the 60 day limit however you can't unlock it so you have to use the sim from your carrier i.e. Sprint or Verizon and pay global roaming charges.
    If it works the same way the Blackberry 8530?? works on Sprint. The phone inlcuded a Sprint GSM card, but was unlocked. So you could basically used any sim card you wanted. I hope that this is the case with the Pre 3, because It would be a definite purchase.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    why are they calling it gsm if its wcdma then lol thats stupid ha ha
    Because it actually is GSM. The 3G GSM (UMTS) basically has two channels: The GSM where the voice goes on and a modified CDMA where the data goes on. That's why the GSM phones have voice and data simultaneously.

Sorry for the off-topic