Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I'm not sure. Say you are not a Gold member getting the yearly upgrade, but want a new smartphone every 12 months. First, you would be advised to upgrade BEFORE you hit 12 months to get 40% on the buyback. Second, you would be paying the retail price on a phone that is likely to be around $450 to $600 retail. Third, keep in mind the $60 you have to pay up front just to be able to sell it back later on.

Using $500 as an example (and excluding taxes and activation fees), you pay $560, use it for 11.5 months, "sell" it for $200, then spend another $560 for a new device + the buyback. Only after 22 months (assuming Sprint...I don't know what the upgrade period is for another carrier) could you get the discounted price.

Almost seems to me you could do better on ebay.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    I'm not sure. Say you are not a Gold member getting the yearly upgrade, but want a new smartphone every 12 months. First, you would be advised to upgrade BEFORE you hit 12 months to get 40% on the buyback. Second, you would be paying the retail price on a phone that is likely to be around $450 to $600 retail. Third, keep in mind the $60 you have to pay up front just to be able to sell it back later on.

Using $500 as an example (and excluding taxes and activation fees), you pay $560, use it for 11.5 months, "sell" it for $200, then spend another $560 for a new device + the buyback. Only after 22 months (assuming Sprint...I don't know what the upgrade period is for another carrier) could you get the discounted price.

Almost seems to me you could do better on ebay.

Good point, so guessing this would really only be benificial with someone who has a full upgrade at first huh.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    Good point, so guessing this would really only be benificial with someone who has a full upgrade at first huh.
    I suppose it depends on timing. One would have to sit down and do the math...a cost-benefit analysis, as it were. Then add in the "I want a cool new toy every year instead of every other year" and the "not everything I post on ebay will sell for what I expect it to" factors.
    Well, as I have told HP in an email, I have exactly 27 days to get the next WebOs device, or I upgrade to Evo2, since my wife's Pre- is literally falling to pieces. I don't have the means to pay full price for hardware and switching 5 lines to another carrier isn't really feasible either. I have only ben with Sprint 7 yrs and my base plan is $129, so I lose the upgrade. As if tacking on $10/month for a pixi on my daughter's line wasn't enough of a slap....
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by xylos555 View Post
    Well, as I have told HP in an email, I have exactly 27 days to get the next WebOs device, or I upgrade to Evo2, since my wife's Pre- is literally falling to pieces. I don't have the means to pay full price for hardware and switching 5 lines to another carrier isn't really feasible either. I have only ben with Sprint 7 yrs and my base plan is $129, so I lose the upgrade. As if tacking on $10/month for a pixi on my daughter's line wasn't enough of a slap....
    Kudos for emailing HP to let them know of your current predicament. Also, kudos for your picture icon. Very clever.
    Hi, I wonder if you could sell it for more on eBay than what you would get from Best Buy?

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    K
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    Not quite right on the percentages:

Oops, sorry. I was doing it from memory. Guess I need to remember to take my memory pills...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    K

Oops, sorry. I was doing it from memory. Guess I need to remember to take my memory pills...
    Hiya,

I sure could use memory pills myself....LOL.

I also want to compare actual 1 year plans from the cell providers themselves, as soon as we know who is going to be selling/using the Pre 3.

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post

Hasn't as of yet. I'm pretty sure the delicious banh mi sandwich I ate a couple months ago didn't kill me either, but I suppose that's just a guess until I expire at whatever point the future?
    just wanted to say that banh mi is awesome
    I contacted Sprint customer service the other day about my upgrade status. I've been with them for about 8 years and am a launch day Pre owner. Like most of you my Pre is on the verge of just crumbling (literally lol) and have been waiting for either the Pre3 to launch or just wait and see what other phones might end up on Sprint. I told the rep about my situation with the new upgrade changes and that I didn't want to have to burn my upgrade before April 1st for a phone I really don't want or worse..."Leave the carrier" *gasp*. He spoke with his "supervisor" and told me that he was able to confirm that I would not lose my upgrade and to just wait until they have a phone I wanted. I'm not sure if this will help any of you (I hope it does) but it sure made me feel a little better knowing that if my Pre can just hang on a little longer i'll be able to keep my upgrade for whatever is around the corner.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Not finished enough to offer a carrier. Keep in mind that carriers sign agreements for hardware-finished, software-beta devices all of the time and publicly announce them ASAP to excite customers.

So either the hardware aint there, or no carrier thinks their customers will be excited by them announcing they have it...or both.
    From what we've heard in all the reports, the HPre3 seemed very ready to be released. They all said the hardware and software seemed ready for prime time.
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgaron22583 View Post
    I contacted Sprint customer service the other day about my upgrade status. I've been with them for about 8 years and am a launch day Pre owner. Like most of you my Pre is on the verge of just crumbling (literally lol) and have been waiting for either the Pre3 to launch or just wait and see what other phones might end up on Sprint. I told the rep about my situation with the new upgrade changes and that I didn't want to have to burn my upgrade before April 1st for a phone I really don't want or worse..."Leave the carrier" *gasp*. He spoke with his "supervisor" and told me that he was able to confirm that I would not lose my upgrade and to just wait until they have a phone I wanted. I'm not sure if this will help any of you (I hope it does) but it sure made me feel a little better knowing that if my Pre can just hang on a little longer i'll be able to keep my upgrade for whatever is around the corner.
    If you have a launch day Pre and didn't upgrade at 1 year shouldn't you be available for the 22 month upgrade?
    Quote Originally Posted by jgaron22583 View Post
    I contacted Sprint customer service the other day about my upgrade status. I've been with them for about 8 years and am a launch day Pre owner. Like most of you my Pre is on the verge of just crumbling (literally lol) and have been waiting for either the Pre3 to launch or just wait and see what other phones might end up on Spaint. I told the rep about my situation with the new upgrade changes and that I didn't want to have to burn my upgrade before April 1st for a phone I really don't want or worse..."Leave the carrier" *gasp*. He spoke with his "supervisor" and told me that he was able to confirm that I would not lose my upgrade and to just wait until they have a phone I wanted. I'm not sure if this will help any of you (I hope it does) but it sure made me feel a little better knowing that if my Pre can just hang on a little longer i'll be able to keep my upgrade for whatever is around the corner.
    They sold you a line of B.S. They tried to make it seem like they were doing something special for you when they weren't.

If the last time you used an upgrade was to get a launch day Pre, you are eligible for your regular 22 month upgrade on April 1st.
    I've been eligible for an upgrade for a long time, just nothing to use it on. From what i've been reading I was under the assumption that if we haven't used our upgrades by april 1st, they were going to reset.
    Why would you think that your upgrade would somehow re-set? You'd be two months away from your contract end date anyway.
    From alot of posts I have read I saw a lot of complaints regarding the status change and that most people were upset that they would have to now wait even longer to upgrade from there original Pre's. I guess I assumed that they all were eligible for an upgrade and would now have to wait even longer.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123