Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    A lot of people have the Sprint changes wrong:

1. If you've been a customer for 10 years, you still get the 1-year upgrade, every year
    2. If you're a "gold" premier ($89.99+ or $169.99+ for family), you also get the 1-year upgrade every year

EITHER of the above will give you a full upgrade every 12 months. Sprint Premier Gold and Silver

I'd bet most Sprint Pre users fit at least one of those.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Not me. I'm 129.99 family. But I'm 10 years in December and 22 months April 6th so I think I'll be fine.

Just out of curiosity, are the $89/169 breakpoints before discounts or after?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    In other words, whatever plans they have or don't have for the Pre 3, they seem immaterial to this initiative. Clearly, if the Facebook begging and threatening over the Pre 2 wasn't enough to move Sprint, catering to Pre Minus users isn't a big priority. They already said Android will comprise 70 percent of their business for this year, with RIM, Windows Phone 7, and possibly either WebOS or Apple making up the rest of the 30 percent.
    First of all, why do you insist that telling MY carrier what I want/demand from them is somehow "begging"? I suspect it's because that fits the perjorative nature of your posts.

Secondly, you don't know at all whether or not sed encouragement "moved Sprint". You're simply guessing, unless someone at Sprint has told you something that differs.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    And apparently determined to evanglize the frustration to those that don't feel it.
    Not at all. Just today, when talking with two separate WebOS fans here, I applauded the love they have for the platform and said I hope that their hopes are met and waits rewarded with whatever HP delivers.

Beyond that, I have always said one should get what works for them if what they have isn't cutting it. I did and have always done so. But if you don't feel frustrated and are waiting happily, carry on. Why would I want to change that?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    First of all, why do you insist that telling MY carrier what I want/demand from them is somehow "begging"? I suspect it's because that fits the perjorative nature of your posts.
    Man, the hangups about language on this board....

Herb, I am begging HP to get their butts in gear and become more timely and competitive. I put myself on the exact same level, so now you shouldn't feel that I am being dismissive when I use that word.

Secondly, you don't know at all whether or not sed encouragement "moved Sprint". You're simply guessing, unless someone at Sprint has told you something that differs.
    Hasn't as of yet. I'm pretty sure the delicious banh mi sandwich I ate a couple months ago didn't kill me either, but I suppose that's just a guess until I expire at whatever point the future?

Herb, I am begging HP to get their butts in gear and become more timely and competitive. I put myself on the exact same level, so now you shouldn't feel that I am being dismissive when I use that word.
    And yet, you didn't explain why you continue to state it that way.

Best I recall it, no one said anyone should "beg". It was stated we should let Sprint know what we want.

And that's a bad thing because ....

Oh yeah, because there's some on here that will insisit that anything HP/Palm does is bad.

Hasn't as of yet. I'm pretty sure the delicious banh mi sandwich I ate a couple months ago didn't kill me either, but I suppose that's just a guess until I expire at whatever point the future?
    I'm sure you meant to say "I don't know that it has yet". You have absolutely no idea what has transpired behind the scenes. As far as you (or I) know, Sprint heard the complaints, and made a decision to carry the device. They may also have heard the complaints and said "no, it was just a smattering of very vocal users", but the truth is we simply don't know.
    We do know. It never came to Sprint.
    they should allow pre orders for the Pre 3 on Sprint. that will give HPalm time to complete what is needed and a bone for the original Pre- owners as a thanks for staying with WebOS

one can only dream

The sandwich example doesn't really compare, unless you want to insist it never cause any additional fat cells in your body.

My point is, neither you nor I know whether or not the complaints to Sprint made a difference. I tend to believe that any complaints to a company gets their attention. Some, like Apple vis-a-vis the antenna issue may say "That's not enough people for us to worry about". It might even happen in this case, but I suspect we'll see HP/Palm phones on Sprint, and I suspect that the complaints to Sprint affected that decision.
    OP, I see your point, but I think there is another thing to consider. With the one year upgrade program people could be pretty flagrant in their device choices know they would be able to get something new in 12 months. Now, they are locked in for 22 months unless they pay up or have been with Sprint for 10 years.

So, the question may become -- if HP really is going to be releasing new devices every couple of months, do they want to jump on the Pre3 when a true Uber device may be coming in October?

HP has really backed themselves into a corner with all their posturing. Pre3 announced the day before the Pre2 went on sale. Who knows what may be coming after the Pre3, but HP says they are stepping up their schedule which may make people hold back and wait...
  11.    #31  
    I guess it kind of depends on what you define as an Uber device. I think that many of the Palm faithful are itching for a new product, and currently, the Pre 3 is creating the buzz. Personally, the only thing to make this an Uber device in my eyes would be HDMI out, 4G, and an SD expansion slot. If the Pre 3 was released today, I certainly wouldn't hold out for whatever HP may have up their sleeve next.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fanaticalman2 View Post
    I guess it kind of depends on what you define as an Uber device. I think that many of the Palm faithful are itching for a new product, and currently, the Pre 3 is creating the buzz. Personally, the only thing to make this an Uber device in my eyes would be HDMI out, 4G, and an SD expansion slot. If the Pre 3 was released today, I certainly wouldn't hold out for whatever HP may have up their sleeve next.
    This describes me. I don't even care about HDMI out, 4G, or an SD slot. The Pre 3 is exactly what I want to replace my Pre- with. Same form factor with faster cpu, more ram, and bigger and higher res screen.
    When does this whole thing go into effect? I was at the store the other day getting a replacement Pre, and asked the salesperson about it. He seemed to not really have any clue what I was talking about, but told me I had until the end of June to use my upgrade. (Signed up for Sprint and got my Pre in the middle of September).
    Quote Originally Posted by FliedLice View Post
    When does this whole thing go into effect? I was at the store the other day getting a replacement Pre, and asked the salesperson about it. He seemed to not really have any clue what I was talking about, but told me I had until the end of June to use my upgrade. (Signed up for Sprint and got my Pre in the middle of September).
    Call *2 and ask customer service. At the end of this month your upgrade date will revert back to 22 months from the last time you upgraded. So if you bought your phone in Sept of 2009, after Mar 31st you will not be eligible for you upgrade until July 1st.
    Hi all,

Perhaps there is a solution for all of you about upgrades in the future....after all, not just do all of you have to concern yourselves about an upgrade from Pre or PP, you also have to look ahead!

The carriers are making it harder and harder to upgrade before most of your 24 months are used up....

This thread is the main reason I asked in another thread, if there were 1 year contracts still...(when I asked in an earlier thread about this issue, the main consensus was there will be one year deals with the customer paying a higher fee for the phone...this deals will more than likely not be advertised and will more than likely be available only at the dealer, not online)....

In the beginning when I got my Treo 300, ((I also paid for in full my Treo 600 & Treo 650), I only have had a subsidy on my Centro), there were no deals for discounted smartphones...you bought the phone and then you got service....

While the discount for taking out a 2 year contract is very inviting...However, from what I have been "told" on this site, you may have to dig, but there will be 1 year deals out there, but of course you would get much less of a subsity...however, if you are like me, who had to sit on the sidelines for 2 years while you all got to enjoy webOS, (and I am still using PalmOS), perhaps it's worth paying a larger part of the smart phones price keep it for one year sell it on eBay and start over again after a one year contract....

I have been using my Centro, which just came off of a 2 year contract last Oct 15th....thus I haven't be able to get a Pre or Pre Plus...I have decided to wait and see what Palm does and how long it takes for them to announce what other smart phone products they will be coming out with, (my guess is a slab and either a landscape keyboarded model or a smartphone with a keyboard that either slides in one direction for a portrait view and the other for a landscape view or has a keyboard that spins from one position to the other, (both ideas have be discussed on this site in dozens of threads))...

Instead foe jumping on the Pre 3, which BTW looks great to me...HP/Palm did say there would be a number of announcements on other products every few months....which got me to wondering I should jump on the Pre3 or wait and see what else comes out..

So for many of you who are wondering how Sprint will handle the upgrade issue, (I hope for all of you that HP/Palm leans on Sprint over this issue), after all HP is a 800 lbs gorilla and Palm wasn't.

Now since HP makes anything from pads to smart phones, to inexpensive netbooks, laptops in every price range, Super computers, PC's to high end Blades & servers as well as the actual equipment used by the cell providers to make the system work....HP can cut deals with the providers for blades and other equipment in order for them to carry and/or give deals for the customers...trust me, I'm sure that HP will do lots of horse trading in order to get the HP/Palm line out for sale on as many carriers as possible.

take care all,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    463 Global Posts
    This change to the upgrade program doesn't sound horrible to me as a Verizon customer, since Verizon Won't let you upgrade at all until you're 22 months in. I really hope Sprint gets the Pre 3 so I can jump ship. I get 19% off with VZW now but with lower Sprint prices and a corporate discount of 18% Sprint sounds pretty damn good.
    Quote Originally Posted by ashykat View Post
    This change to the upgrade program doesn't sound horrible to me as a Verizon customer, since Verizon Won't let you upgrade at all until you're 22 months in. I really hope Sprint gets the Pre 3 so I can jump ship. I get 19% off with VZW now but with lower Sprint prices and a corporate discount of 18% Sprint sounds pretty damn good.
    Hi all,

I agree...But I still want to do the math and she what happens if you can get a 1 year contract, pay more for phone up front, sell it after on year and get the next model....or end up taking a 2 year contract.....(after all, I expect there will be far more HP/Palm smart phone models launched each year than there were when Palm was an independent company....HP's pockets are so much deeper than Palm's were).

The Verizon corporate plan my G/F are on, (thru her employer Costco), allows the primary phone, my G/F's line is 1 year the other 4 of us are on 2 year contracts....only the employee of Costco can be the primary line, plus there is a discount on the call plans for all of us.

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

I agree...But I still want to do the math and she what happens if you can get a 1 year contract, pay more for phone up front, sell it after on year and get the next model....or end up taking a 2 year contract.....(after all, I expect there will be far more HP/Palm smart phone models launched each year than there were when Palm was an independent company....HP's pockets are so much deeper than Palm's were).

The Verizon corporate plan my G/F are on, (thru her employer Costco), allows the primary phone, my G/F's line is 1 year the other 4 of us are on 2 year contracts....only the employee of Costco can be the primary line, plus there is a discount on the call plans for all of us.

take care,

Jay
    If you want to get into the yearly cycle -- I would definitely advise you to strongly take a look at Best Buy's BuyBack program. Within a year they will give you 50% of the retail sales value of your device, 12 - 18 months they will give you 40%. On smartphones whose retail sales price is usually around $600 that is $240 - $300 they will give towards your purchase of a new device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    If you want to get into the yearly cycle -- I would definitely advise you to strongly take a look at Best Buy's BuyBack program. Within a year they will give you 50% of the retail sales value of your device, 12 - 18 months they will give you 40%. On smartphones whose retail sales price is usually around $600 that is $240 - $300 they will give towards your purchase of a new device.
    Not quite right on the percentages:

that buy back program looks more and more the way to go IMO. I myself would rather pay up front in full, and know that in a years time let say something else comes along that I like I can pretty much get the new phone without puttin much more down. Good deal to me, I also think Sprint will be getting the Pre 3 and Tablet, as well as devices goin forward. i must say to after upgraded this Sprint pre plus to 2.1 they have done a very good job on cleaning up the OS, Transitions are Apple IOS like, as well as making it look awhole lot more professional. Im looking foward to new products from HP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast