Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Not sure if this has been discussed yet, but can someone tell me if they really need the 'Just type" reminder permanently at the top of the screen? I think by now with how long WebOS has been out that we know all you have to do is start typing to find what you are looking for, right? What is the benefit of adding this now after this long? I wonder how long it will take for someone to make a patch to remove that phrase! I'm still using the Pre- and really can't wait for the Pre 3.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    Not sure if this has been discussed yet, but can someone tell me if they really need the 'Just type" reminder permanently at the top of the screen? I think by now with how long WebOS has been out that we know all you have to do is start typing to find what you are looking for, right? What is the benefit of adding this now after this long? I wonder how long it will take for someone to make a patch to remove that phrase! I'm still using the Pre- and really can't wait for the Pre 3.
    We all know about it, but I think they are trying to make it easier for new people to use the features. I also think it's a way to make all the devices look the same, so whether the device has a physical keyboard or not you can tap that icon, as opposed to differentiating based on device. Lastly, if they implement the on screen keyboard it will give the user the choice of sliding open the keyboard, or tapping to pull it up.
    There is a patch to take it off. It is to remind the general public to start tying in order to search for something. My wife would be searching through 8 launcher pages and I would tell her, Just type., so many times, you would not know.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    We all know about it, but I think they are trying to make it easier for new people to use the features.
    yep thats far and away what i think it is, and its a smart move IMHO

i have more than one friend who has had the pre for over a year. (yep you read that right more than one, over a year)

anyway, they did not know that they could just start typing the name of an app, or a contact, to get to it quickly. they were always navigating here and there, or pulling up the contacts app and then searching.

I freaking blew there minds when i showed them they could simply start typing.

having a little bar that is always telling them to "just type" is exactly what this awesome feature needs to be "discoverable" by those less nerdy than myself.
    There are four lights.
    A good idea for newbies, but definitely should be deselectable. (Yet another user preference that needs to be implemented.)
    Not only to show its tyere but also when webos is on screen only you can still use just type.
    I not only feel it's good for first time users but I frequently use it. Plus I don't feel it's a big distraction.

Taping it brings up recent searches which sometimes I have to use (i.e. forgot to write down a phone number, searched google instead of wiki, etc.)
    Treo 680 -> Palm Pre Plus
    WebOS is next to godliness
    It is just there to prompt/remind users to "just type". It disappears as soon as the user does anything so it's never in the way.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Another good reason for the "just type" bar:

If and/or when a "slate" webOS phone comes out ala the TouchPad, there will be a way to search from the home screen. How else would you bring up the on screen keyboard if the universal search bar wasn't there?

EDIT: Maybe HP wanted to "Think Ahead" lol
    Also, tapping it presents you with your "last searches" - that's faster than retyping!
    It's a good reminder even for people who have used the device a while. I found that I was always forgetting that I could just type to find everything and would end up doing a lot of unnecessary hunting and pecking.
  12.    #13  
    Very good arguments everyone. Well, I think I got some info on this and I actually like how it would be possible to tap on it to bring up the virtual keyboard. Thanks all.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    It's a widget, to make all of the widget people happy. I do like the recent searches feature.
    I like the recent search feature as well
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
    Also, tapping it presents you with your "last searches" - that's faster than retyping!
    And this, right here, makes it worthwhile.
    if you hide it --you can touch the screen where it was and it will show back up
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
    What version are you using? When I tap the icon it just brings up a screen that allows me to type with the message 'start typing to search and create' without showing any history.
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    I tap it sometimes, so I guess that makes it somewhat useful to me. I agree it should be built into webOS to disable/hide it.
    I'm so glad there is a patch to hide it. I don't wanna a cluttered screen. If I wanted a cluttered screen, I'd get an Android device.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast