Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    Do we know anything yet about video calling? Will it be interoperable with other manufacturer's phones? What happens when using a Bluetooth headset or car speaker (video of the inside of my pocket?)?

Not that I actually know anyone to video chat with anyway ...
    if its skype, it probably will be. as it bought qik several months ago.

now there might be a restriction tho, that video conferencing would be wifi only.
    I'm curious about this too. In the US Verizon apparently has exclusive rights to skype on phones, and Qwik was the multiplatform option. Now that skype bought qwik, what happens?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    I'm curious about this too. In the US Verizon apparently has exclusive rights to skype on phones, and Qwik was the multiplatform option. Now that skype bought qwik, what happens?
    Verizon has exclusive? I used skype on at&t iphone this morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Verizon has exclusive? I used skype on at&t iphone this morning.
    I know weird isn't it? But I think that has to do with there being an iphone app prior to Verizons agreement. Or something like that... I dunno, here's a link:

http://www.wirelessweek.com/News/2010/03/Carriers-Free-Exclusive-App-Skype-Verizon/
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 03/01/2011 at 09:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    I know weird isn't it? But I think that has to do with there being an iphone app prior to Verizons agreement. Or something like that... I dunno, here's a link:

Verizon Unveils Free, Exclusive Skype App | Wireless Week
    It's exclusive on Pre 2.
    The Verizon exclusivity ended. Which is why skype has now been released to more phones and more carriers.
    skype doesn't support android yet, hope they don't wait as long with webos
    well, I hope Pre3 will have standard video calling feature supported by 3G standard with open api for developers to use it. Apple locked it's front cam to Facetime, and just hope HP won't follow that BS.
    Skype voice is on Android, but there is no video. However, on the iPhone there is voice and video on both ATT and Verizon. My guess is that if the Pre 3 comes out on ATT and Verizon there wouldn't be licenses issues with Skype. However, there might be something that needs to be worked out with Sprint, since none of their phones have Skype video.
    Last edited by TreoRock; 03/07/2011 at 03:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    The Verizon exclusivity ended. Which is why skype has now been released to more phones and more carriers.
    Skype has been on iPhone and many other devices long before it hit Android and Verizon. I believe that exclusivity was on Android devices only; I remember it being available on Android and then it being pulled from the Android Market after Verizon struck that exclusivity agreement.
    Tango has none of this BS. Hopefully there will be a WebOS version.

Not that I actually really use it...
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I would really love to be able to video chat from my (future) pre 3 with an att Iphone. Think it would be possible on skype? I imagine it wouldn't be a problem on the Pre's end, but apple would probly get squeamish about allowing skype that access.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Skype works to and from iOS to computers, other phones, etc already, on 3G or wifi
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Knowing webOS and HP Palm, they'll want to implement more of the synergy format. The video call should (and I'll be greatly surprised if it isn't) be open. Synergy already lets you tap into gtalk, AIM, Y!Messenger, I don't see why they can't go further and add Qik, Skype or Even go as far as using Apple's open-but-unadopted-as-of-now Facetime. It could be possible seeing as there were persistent on taooing in iTunes as a"ipod"
    as far as i know, apple said they facetime would be open but so far they have not.
    Quote Originally Posted by wannasurf View Post
    I would really love to be able to video chat from my (future) pre 3 with an att Iphone. Think it would be possible on skype? I imagine it wouldn't be a problem on the Pre's end, but apple would probly get squeamish about allowing skype that access.
    It works now, so it should always be possible. What I'm hoping for is a true skype client that isn't tied to verizon. All they did is put in the hooks to route standard voice calls to a skype gateway for delivery to the person on the other end. It's a standard call over VZW's mobile network to and from the webOS phone, so it's not a VoIP call.

What is needed is for someone to create a stand-alone VoIP client that can work with Skype on any webOS 2.x device. First person to deliver that will sell it by the truckload, and cut the usage of voice minutes down a lot. The carriers are no doubt trying to avoid this. That's why AT&T wanted skype to be wifi only...
    i sure hope the palm pre 3 gets some major dev support for its front cam. i was thinking about the motorola atrix but im hearing that as of right now, support for video chat is kind od lacking. it that is holding true for the atrix, i dont think webos is going to get any love from the big name devs.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I am assuming/hoping the Pre3 will have options simply because I expect the Touchpad to have options, and assume the same apps will be available for the phone. But perhaps that is naive.
    Video Calling - the most commonly asked for and least frequently used feature other than Voice Control.

Even my iPhone 4-touting friends who were blown away when Emperor Steve changed the world, all over again, again and wouldn't believe me that phones had shipped with front-facing cameras since the early oughts before I showed them - even they never get around to using facetime anymore and have cooled on the feature.

Having the option sure will be nice, but I really doubt I'll use it more than a handful of times, and then only with my girlfriend.
    Video calling is also gonna be difficult if every manufacturer / platform has its own solution.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast