Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    847 Global Posts
    I've been using video call since early 2000.
    It worked great both times

Seriously Video Call is worthless feature. Its only good if you have to show somebody whats going on right now this moment and thats only if your phone can enable back end camera for video calls, flipping phone around doesn't really work.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vladi View Post
    I've been using video call since early 2000.
    It worked great both times

Seriously Video Call is worthless feature. Its only good if you have to show somebody whats going on right now this moment and thats only if your phone can enable back end camera for video calls, flipping phone around doesn't really work.
    Speak for yourself. I travel a lot for work and have a 5 year old at home.

Video calling has been indispensable to me over the last year or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Video calling is also gonna be difficult if every manufacturer / platform has its own solution.
    It's not dificult. I think it's part of 3G feature set. Standard video calling can be and is performed between diferent devices.As far as I know, only Apple has limited FFC use to few apps only.

But I must agree, I've used it few times only in past 8 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by mpfef View Post

Here, here!

The ability to look at my son and daughter (and for them to be able to see daddy) when I tell them good night is very nice to have.

Right now the only reason I take my laptop on business trips is for the ability to skype, usually with the laptop tethered to the pre+.

If I didn't have to lug the laptop and still talk to them before bed, that would be an upgrade I'd gladly pay for. And one that I would have moved over to Android for if it wasn't possible on the pre3.

-Suntan
    for this function to be useful. two functions are necessary

1. it can be used over 3G/4G.
    2. it can chat with computer.

if pre3 can't do these two, i won't buy it. I know the 1st depends on the network, but what do I care? I can jump to whichever network that allows this.
    Global Posts
    847 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mpfef View Post

Well I guess you are the target audience then, I understand you want to see your baby.

I myself absolutely see no purpose of seeing somebody while i am talking to them on the phone, especially not on a small screen. Video chating on a 15inch laptop or any other big screen is something completely different but most of the time laptops have sucky webcamera anyway so you'll be looking at a lot of pixels. True advantage is you dont have to hold it like you do with your phone.

Who knows maybe when I get a kid one day I will start to use it but by then they better come out with 3D holograms ))
    I think right now, in our current mind set, there isn't any use to it other than when on business trips. But once it passes the point of ease, it will become the norm to video call. Its a more social way to call someone and provides a more realistic conversation.
    I really think that the reason why it seems so useless is just because we have been voice calling for decades now and 'why change?' It just isn't at the point were it is easy and universal to every platform. iPhone has their own way and Android and several others. That is were I think Skype will succeed. It has a reach of every platform and can easily stretch between them with minimal discomfort. Once we get over all these individual services like facetime and we all adopt one great service, then is when it will start to really take off and become the norm to video call. Just my 2 cents..
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    for this function to be useful. two functions are necessary

1. it can be used over 3G/4G.
    2. it can chat with computer.

if pre3 can't do these two, i won't buy it. I know the 1st depends on the network, but what do I care? I can jump to whichever network that allows this.
    This is why I think HP made the best choice with Skype. They have the reach between computer and every mobile OS. Their streaming capabilities are also quite good, so I can see 3G being a possibility with decent video.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    always fun to hear from those who have never used video chat and have no one to use it with who claim it is worthless. These are the same types who claimed email, texting, and caneras on phones were silly. They then claim to be the visionaries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave.m.elliott View Post
    always fun to hear from those who have never used video chat and have no one to use it with who claim it is worthless. These are the same types who claimed email, texting, and caneras on phones were silly. They then claim to be the visionaries.
    Kind of my opinion. Personally, I see twitter and facebook as completely unnecessary and pointless… …so obviously there is no need for those things either.

I primarily set up skype (on our home desktop and my laptop) for the kids. Both so I could video talk with them while travelling and so that they could do similar with their grandparents that live some distance away. But I also value it for talking to my wife when away on business (I hate “talking” on the phone, but video makes it much more enjoyable.) Ditto the weekly call to my parents, it’s just more enjoyable.

On top of that are the added pirks, like letting the kid’s call their grandparents while on vacation. The ability for them just to show their grandparents the hotel pool that night. Heck to show them that Declaration of Independence that they just saw. That is really exciting for them and a great opportunity for the grandparents to enjoy that with them.

In any case, if your world revolves around your parent’s basement and the only calls you make consist of “yeah, I’ll be there in 5 minutes” or, “yes mom, I’ll be home before curfew;” or you’re a single bachelor and the most important person in your life is yourself, I can understand the feature wouldn’t be very compelling. But that doesn’t mean there is no market for it.

-Suntan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12