Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I mean it in the way that the original Palm Pre got bad attention due to faulty hardware and I don't want that to affect sales or impression. I know the phone is going to be amazing but maybe people will pass it up simply because of it's past.
    Should have been called the HP Palm.

Then another phone with keyboard( non slider) should have been called the HP Treo

Then a newer pixi called the HP Centro

and a slab called the HP Palm Pilot

going retro would be buzzworthy itself
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Yeah that would be cool but why not something kickass like competitors call their phones? Like htc came out with the thunderbolt. That cries speed and power while we get a name with a tainted past.
    They just need to come out with the Envy lineup of webOS phones already :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuffo View Post
    ...htc came out with the thunderbolt.
    I'm still trying to figure out what the heck a "thunderbolt" is.
    Come play with my Twitter.
    I actually thought about this a few weeks back, after the Feb. 9 event. If they had called the Pre3 something else, it wouldn't have been seen as the follow-up to the Pre2 ... which may have helped Pre2 sales a little.
    I am cool with name Pre 3, I think when Palm came out with the Pre they were going to follow the iPhone naming concept for the Pre.
    I don't think naming it something else would help. It looks like the Pre, so people would call it the Pre 3 or 2.5 anyway.

I like the idea of an "HP Envy" line of phones, tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post

Then another phone with keyboard( non slider) should have been called the HP Treo

That is a good naming schemea. And yes to OP -- the Pre3 should have been called somethiing else.
    I think the HP Pre3 was clearly greenlit exclusively based on seeing it written on paper. I can't imagine how the HP marketing types could ever have said it out loud and still wanted to use it. You might as well have named it the HP SixthSheikh'sSixthSheep'ssick

Edit - fun game!

The Palm Pre's pre HP's Pre Three. HP's Pre Three should be free.
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraMav View Post
    Using your same logic, what the heck is a "Pre"?
    Something that is fast. 4g with HTC, and the high speed port named thunderbolt on the macbook.

Sent from my EVO Shift 4G
  13. ndz
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    It's sad that no Execs within HP had the guts to reject this ridiculous name. Say it aloud folks "HP Pre Three". The name will only hurts sales.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    What about the HP Visor?
    "Visits? Well that would indicate visitors."
    "Future events such as these will affect you in the future."
    They certainly could have named it something else. Look at the Veer. Even though it is a shrunken Pre 2, they didn't call it the Pre mini. They called it something else, thereby giving it a chance at an independent life in the market. Too bad they decided on "Veer", though.

The Pre 3 could have been the start of something new, rather than the continuation of something old and struggling for life.
    Yeah that would be cool but why not something kickass like competitors call their phones? Like htc came out with the thunderbolt. That cries speed and power while we get a name with a tainted past.
    Matter of perception. Personally, I think all the other manufacturers' product names are a desperate attempt to sound hip or, worse, badass. In fact, one of the things I liked about the original Pre's name was that it wasn't trying to "out-cool" the other phone names out there (as stated by one of the marketing people who came up with the name). It was understated and original.

That said, after the highly visible failure of the original ... Yes, they should've gone with another name.
    FYI... 'Thunderbolt' is the one on the right.

I was certainly thinking they would have gone with a new direction with the Pre 3's name... Exodus, Emergence, even Phoenix for that matter. But it's still a hot phone.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I mean it in the way that the original Palm Pre got bad attention due to faulty hardware and I don't want that to affect sales or impression. I know the phone is going to be amazing but maybe people will pass it up simply because of it's past.
    The name would have to sum up the spirit of the Pre3 among this community which hovers between "free beer tomorrow" and "in the coming months."
    I used to believe in HP
    should have been called the pre 2.

im okay with the pre 3 name but for marketing purposes, it might oh been better with a name change.

keeping the pre name is inline with its current form factor but even if the name was change, because of its relative form factor with the previous phones, it will some how alway be linked back to the pre. kind of a no win situation.
    Last edited by c_legaspi; 03/01/2011 at 07:41 PM.
    Global Posts
    463 Global Posts
    How about the HP Kickass?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast