Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ashykat View Post
    How about the HP Kickass?
    It's only a matter of time before HTC beats them to it.
    I agree, adding a number to the end of a product name always makes it better. Like the Mustang II, Rocky IV, and Grease 2. Apple is the only one that has been able to associate the numbers with progress, rather than tired repackaging of something old...

Palm, please ask me next time! No charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    They certainly could have named it something else. Look at the Veer. Even though it is a shrunken Pre 2, they didn't call it the Pre mini. They called it something else, thereby giving it a chance at an independent life in the market. Too bad they decided on "Veer", though.

The Pre 3 could have been the start of something new, rather than the continuation of something old and struggling for life.
    Agreed. I loved my Pre, but I cringed when I saw the name Pre 3. Never liked the name Pre anyway, and with the bad rep it got I'm not sure they should have provided such a direct link.
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    yes...anyhing other than "Pre...."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuffo View Post
    Yeah that would be cool but why not something kickass like competitors call their phones? Like htc came out with the thunderbolt. That cries speed and power while we get a name with a tainted past.
    How about the HP "Flash"?
    How about the HP Deity. After all this phone is going to be the savior of WebOS. Really I'm ok with Pre 3 cause it rhymes.
    Sometime you are the ball; sometimes you are the pins.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    it couldve helped sales if the phone were to be called something else. Imagine the people walking in a store and looking to buy at verizon and they say oh look at the pre it can't do gps. Or in sprint, oh look at that phone waiting to fall apart. Etc. Even though none of these are true to happen with hp pre 3 that is an image left in the average consumers mind by the name, not many remember the look. We know its awesome but the rest of the crowd, not really. People are already balls to the wall on iphones and evos so the previously jaded pre is making a come back with the numerical 3. I hope it works.
    it couldve helped sales if the phone were to be called something else. Imagine the people walking in a store and looking to buy at verizon and they say oh look at the pre it can't do gps. Or in sprint, oh look at that phone waiting to fall apart. Etc. Even though none of these are true to happen with hp pre 3 that is an image left in the average consumers mind by the name, not many remember the look. We know its awesome but the rest of the crowd, not really. People are already balls to the wall on iphones and evos so the previously jaded pre is making a come back with the numerical 3. I hope it works.
    Honestly I don't think that is the impression that the average consumer has. My guess is that the average consumer has no idea about Pres or webOS because of all us who faced those issues and sales people who shied away from it because of those very reasons.

HP has made it clear, through lack of support for existing devices, that they don't care about their current customers and only want new customers -- therefore naming it Pre3 kowtows to the current customer base which they have already alienated and does nothing for the new customers they want to attract.

Think about it. They made a huge splash saying that the Veer is the smallest smartphone in the world ("Think Small"). They could have named that phone the Pre Mini, but they didn't -- they went a whole new direction with the name. Personally, I think they should have done the same with the Pre3.

Since the Pre3's big new feature is the "Tap to share", they should have tied together the naming of their tablet and the phone. Perhaps the TouchPhone or something like that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Honestly I don't think that is the impression that the average consumer has. My guess is that the average consumer has no idea about Pres or webOS because of all us who faced those issues and sales people who shied away from it because of those very reasons.

HP has made it clear, through lack of support for existing devices, that they don't care about their current customers and only want new customers -- therefore naming it Pre3 kowtows to the current customer base which they have already alienated and does nothing for the new customers they want to attract...
    So is that why they are saying they are going to "make it right"? I don't understand all of the people that think HP is abandoning the current webOS user base. Who knows what that "make it right" is going to be but honestly, HP, through their open dialog so far has shown the exact opposite that they do value their current customers. Just because they aren't able to provide everything they've ever said they would and just because you aren't getting exactly what you want doesn't mean the company has "abandoned" its customers.

Back on topic, I don't think that naming it the Pre 3 is really going to hurt things. Most people don't know much about the Pre at all. For all of the people that may have seen it in a store but not actually bought it, they won't know about the hardware problems of the original Pre. I really don't think "Pre" has this horrible connotation like many people on precentral think it does. To those of us that have been on these forums for the past two years and have had the phones the whole time it may be a different story, but to the average consumer there is no connection to the Pre name, good or bad.
    I mean it in the way that the original Palm Pre got bad attention due to faulty hardware and I don't want that to affect sales or impression. I know the phone is going to be amazing but maybe people will pass it up simply because of it's past.
    I was hoping for the "thpree," personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by enzo319 View Post
    why bother making a pre 2? ********.
    It would have been a marketing disaster to go straight from the Pre to the Pre 3.
    Instead of Pre 3, I'm surprised they didn't call it the Tre.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZBigE View Post
    It would have been a marketing disaster to go straight from the Pre to the Pre 3.
    Maybe, but some will argue that they could've skipped the device we now know as the Pre 2 entirely, which would've made the device we now know as the Pre 3... the Pre 2.
    Skipping a number isn't entirely unheard of, though. Winamp skipped a version number, and for those of you who can't make heads or tails of this whole Justin Bieber ordeal either, so did Leisure Suit Larry. Now get off my dang lawn.

That said, I'm so glad they didn't go and name it the Pr3. SO glad.
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraMav View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out what the heck a "thunderbolt" is.
    You could look it up in a dictionary if you want: Thunderbolt | Define Thunderbolt at Dictionary.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12