Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    i know it wasnt announced. but any idea if the pre3 will have beats audio? i know hp is making a big deal about beats in general, so it would make sense that it would have it on here. and im sure not everything for the pre3 (asside form pricing and availability andand carriers). so is it possible? honestly ive no idea.
    The Pre 3 does not come with Beats Audio (only the TouchPad). BUT.. I wouldn't be surprised to see them incorporate it in the phones in the future. Just wasn't part of that phone at the moment.
    pre3 was a palm phone.
    I wish it did. Listening to music is what I use my iPhone the most for. And the Epic I had. And the Evo i had (worst phone ever). And the Pre before that.

A Pre with the engineering of Beats Audio would make my day! I just can't wait til that darn phone gets released already!

I just really hope that the Pre will have just as good as a sound card as the iPhone does. I am very happy with the iPhone one. Much better than any other device I have ever owned. I guess we'll see. Not a dealbreaker for me, but still will take it into consideration.
    One thing to understand about Beats Audio, it costs HP $$ for every device they ship with it (the label "Beats Audio") attached. That doesn't mean the audio quality isn't exactly as good. My guess is there is almost no difference between Beats Audio devices and non, but it is obviously to HP's advantage at times to brand some of their devices as Beats.
    Quote Originally Posted by misterpepper View Post
    One thing to understand about Beats Audio, it costs HP $$ for every device they ship with it (the label "Beats Audio") attached. That doesn't mean the audio quality isn't exactly as good. My guess is there is almost no difference between Beats Audio devices and non, but it is obviously to HP's advantage at times to brand some of their devices as Beats.
    Agreed.

For some devices (like laptops) they may get slightly better on board speakers, but if you are plugging headphones in, don't expect much difference between one device and another.

-Suntan
    As Suntan mentioned, why would Beats Audio lend anything to a phone that you use BT or plugged in headphones? Since the walkman cassette, no one has been holding anything that small up to their ear and dancing around 1960s style with a transistor AM radio. Having said all that, if it would help with the speaker phone use then I'd be all for it.
    Have you guys every had a demo of Beats Audio and the improvement to audio it achieves? If you are using a cheap pair of headphones, the difference is negligible, but if you are into music and use a good pair of headhphones, this system achieves impressive audio even with those. You don't have to be running expensive speakers to utilize the sound improvements Beats offers - it can be heard in good headsets too.
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    In actuality, the audio chain in the Pre Plus is significantly better than the latest iPod and iPhone chains. What would it mean to put Beats Audio into a phone...

1) Change the metal headphone connector to a plastic one to reduce EMI. Unfortunately, this will also increase the chance that the jack might break.

2) Separate the analog components in their own isolated segment of the board. This is a layout issue. I don't know if the DAC is integrated with the analog chain, but this may require additional space on the board and increase cost for multiple components.

3) Beef up the audio amplifier to increase headroom. The current amplifier is pretty much adequate unless you're thinking of driving non-amplified speakers or extremely inefficient headphones.

I don't see anything special with Beats Audio other than the name. These are all common-sense analog engineering practices. In books on EMI, Printed circuit design, or analog design starting in the 50's (maybe much earlier) you'll find the same solutions.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Have you guys every had a demo of Beats Audio and the improvement to audio it achieves? If you are using a cheap pair of headphones, the difference is negligible, but if you are into music and use a good pair of headhphones, this system achieves impressive audio even with those. You don't have to be running expensive speakers to utilize the sound improvements Beats offers - it can be heard in good headsets too.
    Actually, I use a pair of Shure IEMs. Other than variances in low noise floor (which can be remedied by an in line variable resistor) sound quality between portable devices has always been rather consistent.

But even then, I usually listen to my phone's audio when I'm busy dong stuff at the office or somewhere with extensive background noise. I don't settle into a chair in a quiet room just to critically listen to audio from my phone.

As such, the marketing associated with it's audio quality doesn't really do a lot for me.

-Suntan

the other variable is if Beats headphones, specifically the inline mic will now work with the pre 3. The curretnly do not, in fact it worked the very first time I plugged them in, then ceased to operate. I've had Shure headphones and other's...Beats sound phenominal and make many aspects of the music pop like no other. ...HOoowever...I can't even begin to imagine listening to anything for more than a few minutes at a time if the batt life isn't significatly improved from the +. I was streaming a site this week end thru my bluetooth in the car and since i forgot my charger (silly me..) the phone died and I was SOL for the rest of the afternoon...
    You can check some testing made by GSM arena
    Pre - Palm Pre review: A pebble in your hand - GSMArena.com
    all in all, equalizer and unlocked volume would be enough for me on Pre3. Like estebancam, I'm using my phones for music listening, and it's one of reasons why I never managed to use Pre as primary phone