Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Right, but for NFC to do anything other than add to the BOM for a phone, there needs to be an ecosystem connecting merchants, hardware manufacturers, OS makers, banks/card companies/payment companies etc.

Right now this isn't even close to happening. And it won't happen anytime soon since every player in this game wants to become the gatekeeper and is working to position themselves as such.

Only Apple will be able to break the cycle with its unique combination of critical mass huge size and vertical integration. But once they do, others can and will follow in their footsteps (think USB, floppy-killing, wrestling control of the smartphone from the carriers, etc).
    Last edited by John Kneeland; 02/27/2011 at 08:15 PM. Reason: adding more awesome
    The Developer is the Customer - Richard Kerris

John Kneeland | Community & Developer Relations | Palm GBU | Hewlett-Packard Company

Feel free to reach out to me! john.kneeland (at) palm
    HP is going with there own instead of NFC cause they say what they have travel between 2 units much faster than NFC.
    if i'm not mistaken, BB is conducting this trial using older models of blackberry, not new ones. They'll just be providing NFC compatible backs... Any phone can be retrofitted this way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    if i'm not mistaken, BB is conducting this trial using older models of blackberry, not new ones. They'll just be providing NFC compatible backs... Any phone can be retrofitted this way.
    +1

I'm not seeing the point outside of commerce of nfc. I have a debit and credit card that have that chip. Why would I need my phone to do the samething?

share info through apps? The Pre 3 does that with the touchpad. If I have to have nfc, buy a case or back that has it built in.
    Quote Originally Posted by ikirumata View Post
    ... I'm not a tin foil hat guy either, but seeing a real life rfid attack was enough for me to buy rfid blocking sleeves for my credit cards and passport!
    But...aren't those RFID blocking sleeves made out of a type of tin foil?

I'm just ribbing you! I think those sleeves probably are a useful item to have if you have RFID cards.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12