Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    One thing I look for in a phone is customization. Why? Because after awhile of usage I get tired of looking at the same phone, but if I can change things around maybe tweek it here or there then it makes the phone fun and new to play with. Case and point, why do people take vacations? To get away from the normal day to day, likewise customization is like getting away from my day to day phone. A feature within the phone that will allow you to easily change things around without losing the Mojo of it will make the WebOS a great and unmatchable competitor. For example maybe I don't like the green color on my phone Dialer I want Red or Pink or Blue. (Built in not tweeked). This is for your average user not a person who uses homebrew mods. What do you guys think! Good Idea?
    +1
    Sounds like you're looking for widgets and stuff from Android?
    The erstwhile Palm OS on the 'Treo' line of phones, had lots of personalization/customization options. Seeing the totally limited options in webOS, it is hard to belie3ve that it is from the same company. If the Pre with webOS had even half the functionality of the Treo with Palm OS, Palm would probably not have gone under.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    I love this idea. I see all these wonderful screenshots of people's phones and how they've jailbroken them to make them look awesome. HP/Palm should definitely take your idea into hand.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    It sounds like you're describing "themes".. & we've had that available for a LONG time already
    I agree. When I show webOS to my iPhone and Android friends, one of the things that impresses them most is themes - which is the only reason I use themes... I make it look just like an iPod.

Even if Palm can't integrate a handful of themes, they should at least provide a set of color schemes like they did with PalmOS. It's important to people, and personalization is very important many users. It was a huge deal for iPhone users when they added the ability to change wall paper.
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicMan View Post
    It sounds like you're describing "themes".. & we've had that available for a LONG time already
    Take a look at some of the iphone and android customisations available. WebOS themes are a start, but they don't even come close to the level of sophisticated visual mods available for other devices...

Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    Cool feature would be themer app, which would offer on the fly themes switching. Also, it would offer possibility to have more than one theme on the device and to switch between them easily.
    Next cool and needed would be unifyed patch applayng system. Option to enable or disable patch without need to uninstall it. I think it is known as mobile substrate in Iphone jailbreakin comunity
    Last edited by chalx; 02/27/2011 at 02:39 PM.
    Just get HP to install Preware on there as default software, thats all thats necessary really. Patches, themes, homebrew apps
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post
    Just get HP to install Preware on there as default software, thats all thats necessary really. Patches, themes, homebrew apps
    Seriously, have a look at this. This is one of many lock screens that have been designed for iOS

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l9...y5tlo1_500.jpg

Personally I hate iOS, but it sure beats what you can do with pre themes...true?

Sounds like your looking for PreWare? The hackage needed for this to work is "already built in". Thanks to HPalm and the awesome webos-internals beasts we can already more than any other OS to date! (Themes and Patches)
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    Sounds like your looking for PreWare? The hackage needed for this to work is "already built in". Thanks to HPalm and the awesome webos-internals beasts we can already more than any other OS to date! (Themes and Patches)
    The patches are undeniably brilliant. I couldn't live without them, but visually, apart from the limiting 'themes' that's about it

umm i think eventually we will have theme apps in the app store im sure !! maybe lol
    ĦṔ-ḶøØṫ-ŦḯØη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    impresses them most is themes - which is the only reason I use themes... I make it look just like an iPod.
    theme it to look like an ipod? what a waste.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Preware should be built in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by champiful View Post
    Preware should be built in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    NO!

overclocking for the average joe?

Pass!
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    NO!

overclocking for the average joe?

Pass!
    And....what do you mean by that? Average joes are already overclocking, so what the point?
    And....what do you mean by that? Average joes are already overclocking, so what the point?
    I mean, as much as i like preware, I'd be a headache for palm. It's a place filled with beta, and alpha stuff, including certain patches that are huge battery drains. And, I doubt the average joe is overclocking, and if they are, a family/friend has explained the risks. The average joe doesn't even know what overclocking really is.
    While I agree that most of the people already doing Preware on the phone have no idea what is going on under the hood (I don’t.) It is two completely different things to make a person load preware onto their phone with a special program and a USB connection to their computer and just giving them the default access directly in the phone as it ships from the carrier.

In any case, preware is not the best place for this type of personal customization. I agree that color changing, etc. should be offered as a built in function, or at least a downloadable “app” from the official app store to give that functionality. Not because Preware is hard, but because changing the colors isn’t (or at least shouldn’t) be something considered as “homebrew” or hacking.

-Suntan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast