Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    But you did say it worth 200,000 apps. So you have to consider this to be one of the main feature, right? Ok, I have to say webOS multitast has to be the main feature, am I correct? However, I would rather have 200,000 apps with different multitast than webOS multitast with lack of apps.
    HAve you looked at the roster of apps available for the iphone and Android? no doubt they have some good ones that i wish were available on WebOS, but I could find 200K between the two that I would never miss... I only need one flashlight app and one fart-sound app...

But instead of trying to play varbal cat-and-mouse over what I meant exactly, I'll just say that the touchstone charger is a unique and compelling feature that HP should put more effort into advertising as the general smartphone buying public has no idea it's even possible, let alone available.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchmasta View Post
    it seriously is one of the main things that is keeping me with the pre and is probably going to make me buy the pre3. its that awesome to me.
    I agree. Everyone has their own desires, but touchstone charging is a good usability feature and some people value usability more than specs or numbers of available apps.

Personally, the next phone I buy has to have something along these lines. Even if it has to be a crude docking cradle. Dinking with plugging a charging cable into the bottom/side of my phone is not something I want to go back to.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    I agree. Everyone has their own desires, but touchstone charging is a good usability feature and some people value usability more than specs or numbers of available apps.

Personally, the next phone I buy has to have something along these lines. Even if it has to be a crude docking cradle. Dinking with plugging a charging cable into the bottom/side of my phone is not something I want to go back to.

-Suntan
    Touchstone is cool. I am not denying it. However, I would much rather want a phone requires charging once every 2 or 3 days. That would be much better product. So far, no smartphone out there has that kind of capacity. Wish HP can come up with that kind of awsomeness.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Touchstone is cool. I am not denying it. However, I would much rather want a phone requires charging once every 2 or 3 days. That would be much better product. So far, no smartphone out there has that kind of capacity. Wish HP can come up with that kind of awsomeness.
    Well sure. Wed all like longer battery life. But the laws of physics are what they are.

And the laws of marketing focus groups continually tell the phone makers that everyone wants slimmer-slimmer-slimmer. So dont expect to see a smartphone that lasts the better part of a week any time soon.

-Suntan
    Apple doesn’t market their specs? Retina, anyone?

Everybody markets the specs that they think will resonate with their customers (or at least the specs that they think they can make their customers feel are important.)

The reality is what it is. Market accordingly to the audience you have. You need to prop up your tech specs in an Engadget articles because blind spec following is what that crowd looks at. But you don’t need to talk all E-nerd specs in a TV commercial.

They are on the right track with endlessly showing off the “touch-to-share” to the general public, but the (imo much more useful) feature they should be showing people even more is the touchstone charging/display feature. I could think of about 4 or 5 different commercials that could show off its potential.

Personally, touchstone charging is worth at least 200,000 apps in anyone else’s catalog to me. Based on the look of astonishment and approval I see from people when they see me set the Pre on or take the pre off the touchstone at work, other people seem to agree.

-Suntan
    I didn't say say that. at no time did i say apple or any other company doesn't mention specs in a commerical.

I said apple doesn't "advertise the speed of their chips specifically the A4."
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    "I'd bet most Iphone and EVO users couldn't tell you what the speeds of their chips are. Apple surely doesn't advertise it."
    And when i said advertise, the context of the word was NOT to mean tv commercials, but rather advertise in the sense of making it easily available public information. To call attention to something so to speak. Even so, I don't recall apple having a most of their tv commercials stating the clock speed of an A4 chip or how many cores it has. Why? They are smart enough to know most consumers don't care. But apple's lack of boasting about it chip specs is not the point and that you focused on that makes me sure you don't get it. The point was consumers don't know the speed of the chip. And thus the specs like chip speed are much less important then stuff like having a good library of apps.

touchstones, one, aren't included, they are an ad on just like inductive charging on other phones, so it's not like everyone has one. I don't. I'm not spending $40 when a cable can charge my phone for free. The Pre 3 doesn't have it included so it's kinda hard to advertise a phone based on a non included accessory. second, It's fine that a touchstone is that valueable to you. that's your personal feelings. But that's not most consumers and if touchstones we're worth more then apps everyone would have a pre. The touchstone has been around since the platform launched. It hasn't helped them that much in the big picture.
    An ad showing someone charging and using their phone at their desk is NOT a good idea!

Nothing says "can't hold a charge all day" than charging it in the middle of the day.
    HAve you looked at the roster of apps available for the iphone and Android? no doubt they have some good ones that i wish were available on WebOS, but I could find 200K between the two that I would never miss... I only need one flashlight app and one fart-sound app...
    same applies to webos too though. i dont' need fart apps or flashlight apps at all. I also don't need like beautiful girls wallpapers, trigonometry reference, diet guide whatever, weight trackers, tip calculator, cop trackers, asthma trackers. Hell i have asthma and i don't want to track it. And you can go on an on from drinking game apps to endless soundboards. Look at the app gallery. I've never heard of most of the apps on the first like 4 pages. I haven't seen an app worth downloading in nearly a year. The point isn't the apps you don't want. They don't matter cause you don't want them. You'll skip right over them. If you search you won't get them. It's having the ones you do.

Like if i want to trade stocks from my Fidelity account on a Fidelity App, where is it on webOS? Or a Netflix app. Etc.

The choice is pretty clear. You either take a bunch of crappy apps an no Netflix or a platform with crappy apps and Netflix. Like if i want a netflix app and one platform has it but yours doesn't, well it doesn't help your platform to say, yeah but they have lots of crappy fart apps too. Yeah but they also have what i want and you don't. That's a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Finally, an explanation for why the Palm devices haven't come with basic functionality like voice commands. Nothing like intense arrogance from a fringe device/system. HP thinks they're the best because they've never seen the competition, lol.
    NO. This not true at all. Ruby is NOT Palm or HP OR the BIG developers who are REALLY behind WebOS. Ruby said clearly that he looks at the reviews indepthly online. Also Voice Recognition is already in WebOS you just don't have a webos device, and extra to put 2.1 on, Pre2, or any updates on tech news. They had already put it in WebOS awhile ago it just hasn't found its way onto your device.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Functionality of webOS outshines the rest, but wish it had the apps IMO
    webOS is much more intuitve that the other systems out there.

I don't know who came to the idea that we have to have a new phone / computer every year...I for myself have a phone for two years...and then I'll change to the next level...so the "specs war" is entirely made by the industry to sell their stuff on high rotation.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123