Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What is everyone's thoughts on the potential of having an onscreen keyboard in addition to the slide out keyboard?
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Not useless, but I don't see it getting used a lot. It would take a pretty awesome virtual keyboard to make it NOT worth sliding out the physical one to type on. For real quick stuff I could see a use, anything else I'm sure it will not even be thought about.

Jason
    Quote Originally Posted by jquinn38 View Post
    Not useless, but I don't see it getting used a lot. It would take a pretty awesome virtual keyboard to make it NOT worth sliding out the physical one to type on. For real quick stuff I could see a use, anything else I'm sure it will not even be thought about.

Jason
    How about being held horizontally?
    Last edited by gmanjudo; 02/25/2011 at 02:07 AM.
    I think it be useful when your holding it horzontal because that's generally how I surf the web when using my ipod (which I am using now).
    It would be great, as long as it's not laggy & a pain in the **** to use.
    I would prefer to have to option. I use the virtual keyboard patch on my Pre+ about half of the time I need to type something. Sometimes I feel like a hardware keyboard, and sometimes I feel like a virtual one. I might feel differently if the Pre3 keyboard is better than the one for my Pre+, which is almost certain to be the case.
    There is a virtual keyboard already in webOS it kjust needs a patch to use it . Not sure how functional it is though .

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    They NEED one when using the phone horizontally its just annoying to have to switch orientation all the time
    I don't NEED one, but i'm not against having the option. I'm assuming that since the Pre3 will be running 3.0, a VKB will come with that update...
    Sense the screen is bigger I would love one for landscape purposes only. But personally, I can live without one and if HP or WebOS-Internals dishes one out, the GREAT!
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Since*^
    i use the built-in virtual keyboard in webOS 2.0 for cases where i just want a simple response... works really well in that regard
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    For quick replies to SMS/Text Messages, I would prefer to have a quick-responding, landscape-mode on-screen keyboard.

russ
  14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyeboy1 View Post
    What is everyone's thoughts on the potential of having an onscreen keyboard in addition to the slide out keyboard?
    My guess is they have it for the next device , a 4.3 inch slab.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I think it would be ideal for the soft keyboard to pop up automatically when you select a text field at any time while in landscape mode.
    in portrait mode maybe only come up if the slider is closed and you select a text field. If the slider is open, then the soft keyboard would never come up.
    Quote Originally Posted by dohcstunr View Post
    I think it would be ideal for the soft keyboard to pop up automatically when you select a text field at any time while in landscape mode.
    in portrait mode maybe only come up if the slider is closed and you select a text field. If the slider is open, then the soft keyboard would never come up.
    +1 !!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dohcstunr View Post
    That's what the other OSes do...and it works well. There's no reason why HP shouldn't enable this.
    i would really love to see a landscape keyboard and i would even use a portrait one from time to time. enabled the keyboard on my 2.1 pre- (with the 2.0.1 patch) it works kind of, but luna crashes after pressing only some buttons hope someone will fix this...
    I would like an on-screen keyboard and a physical keyboard. The virtual keyboard is nice for quick responses. It would also be nice for Just Type. Example- I want to look for an application that will not require text input to consume content. Much easier to do without having to open up the slider to type.

I enjoy the physical keyboard when I want all of my screen real estate.

And PLEASE bring Swype to WebOS!
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    It needs to have one. I hate having to use the slider every time I need to type something in. Sure, it's great for long strings of text, but when it's something simple and short, I'd much rather use a on screen keyboard instead.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast