Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I am sure HP knows about the need for a on-screen keyboard. The form factor of Pre just doesn't cut. They might be do it for Pre 3 with update to software.
    I'm one of those that switched back to the pre for the hardware keyboard. The problem with a software keyboard is that even on a 4 inch screen, when you reply to an email the keyboard takes up so much space that you can't see any of the email to which you are replying. This means if you need to reference that email you have to go back and forth. That, along with a few other minor annoyances in Android brought me back to webos.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    HP TouchPad shoots down planes, shows off next-gen Snapdragon's GPU (video) -- Engadget

Skip to 2:03 and pause. I think they're giving us a little teasing for virtual keyboard.
    Global Posts
    463 Global Posts
    I would LOVE a virtual keyboard in addition to my hardware keyboard. I really want the option. As others have said there are times where you just want to bang out a quick text or two and it would be nice to have an onscreen keyboard to do that quickly. With the bigger screen on the Pre 3, I think that this is a better option now than before.
    I never understood why people like surfing the web or typing in landscape. It's awkward to me. It is much more natural to do everything in portrait mode, which is why for me, the palm pre has been the only hardware keyboard phone I have liked. It's not horizontal, it's portrait. IMO it's more logical.
  6. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    I never understood why people like surfing the web or typing in landscape. It's awkward to me. It is much more natural to do everything in portrait mode, which is why for me, the palm pre has been the only hardware keyboard phone I have liked. It's not horizontal, it's portrait. IMO it's more logical.
    Sure Portrait, but no slider please. A candybar is what they should do next.
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Something like a Pixi 3.
    If they have one it's got to have auto-correct a la other soft keyboards.
    The Developer is the Customer - Richard Kerris

John Kneeland | Community & Developer Relations | Palm GBU | Hewlett-Packard Company

Feel free to reach out to me! john.kneeland (at) palm
    one of the biggest gripes with my Pre 2 was lack of onscreen keyboard
    I would use the virtual keyboard a lot, actually. Sometimes it's a lot of effort to push buttons
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    A vkb would be nice to have in landscape, considering the screen size is practically the same as the iPhone and people love the iPhone kb I don't see why HP can't implement a decent vkb. It's got to have the basics such as amazing autocorrect and prediction, and multitouch too. Other than that, if the hardware kb is as good as they say, portrait mode should be just great.
    if it doeant have a vkb I won't be buying it. There is just no reason why it doesn't have one on a 3.7inch screen
    Landscape keyboards are useless. It takes much longer to type on and they are illogical.

In my opinion. Stuff is designed to be used in portrait mode most of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by sobolosrios View Post
    I'm one of those that switched back to the pre for the hardware keyboard. The problem with a software keyboard is that even on a 4 inch screen, when you reply to an email the keyboard takes up so much space that you can't see any of the email to which you are replying. This means if you need to reference that email you have to go back and forth. That, along with a few other minor annoyances in Android brought me back to webos.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Exactly. Couldn't agree more. I don't like that about my iPhone. In fact, my iPhone is probably the worst device I have ever owned software wise. Love the hardware though.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    I'd like a virtual keyboard in addition to the physical one

T9 in portrait mode, qwerty in landscape
    VZW Pre 2 on 2.1

Thanks webOS Internals!

@thereddestdog
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schlk21 View Post
    I'd like a virtual keyboard in addition to the physical one

T9 in portrait mode, qwerty in landscape
    This!
    The patch for the on screen keyboard sucks. It gives you a luna restart after a few key taps. I actually tried to use it alot, it was alot better than having to slide the keyboard open especially in class.
    life is about options right?
    I recently had to switch back to my pre from my htc hero, and I forgot how much I actually loved this phone. I am looking forward to the pre 3, but am certain I won't be buying it if there is no option for an onscreen keyboard.
    Plus, if there is a vkb it should work in both portrait and landscape mode..as I read earlier there is just no reason not to have one! It is easier for quick messages, not having to slide open your phone is nice, and can be a lot more comfortable.
    once again I agree with an earlier post my biggest gripe with the pre was the lack of a virtual keyboard!
    I hope hp does it right and includes one, I would really love the pre 3!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12