1.    #1  
    So over the lunch hour I was checking out the Pre3 competition that will likely become available on Verizon this summer over at Phonescoop. Namely just browsing for any of the phones coming out with a front facing camera (important to me.) All that were coming up where the next gen of Android 4.3” slab phones.

I know y’all can find different threads if you want to go on and on about how much better WebOS is vs. Android. That’s not what this (thread) is about.

One of my main issues with the slab phones (aside from the fact that I really prefer a physical keyboard) is that the slab phones just look so big and monolithic. Although not one to really care what people think of me in normal social situations, I tend to work with a lot of older individuals that, although they all work in a technical field, are almost all universally behind the curve in adopting technology in their personal lives. As such, having a big slab smartphone is looked on with bewilderment and suspicion. Yes, yes. Your appearance and ability to “fit in” shouldn’t matter that much in an ideal world, but I don’t work in that world. I work in the one that continues to pay to put food on the table.

So with that aside, I started looking at the sizes of these things. Just based on dimensions, they aren’t *that* different in reality. (The inside rectangle is the dimension of the Pre3, the outside dimension is the LG revolution.)

But the slab phones sure do *appear* much bigger in real life. Specifically, they look silly when held up to your face.

Is it just the small radius corners and flat front/back accentuating the “boxy” look of the slab phones that make them the aesthetically challenged slabs that they are? I’m starting to think so.

For example, the LG revolution just looks horribly boxy.
    LG Revolution Photos (Phone Scoop)

The Driod Bionic looks a little better with its more generous radiuses on the corners.
    Motorola Droid Bionic Photos (Phone Scoop)

and the i510 looks even better still for form-factor.
    Samsung SCH-i510 Photos (Phone Scoop)

Anyone else feel the same way?
    Yah, Evo is not a phone...its a small computer you're talking into. I think HP is heading in the right direction with their webOS ecosystem more tahn any other company. You get a person a phone small enough to be compact phone type yet big enough for them to operate happily, then give them a pad to go bigger for more intense stuff.

To me this is perfect. The phone is the perfect size for a smartphone OS with apps and web browsing, then if i want to read the WSJ/Kindle, etc, I tap the pad and boom. Yet if the pad is not available at my fingertips, i have a screen suitable enough to get me by if I really must read something etc.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    Both! I love the Pre3 size and shape (webOS is the first attribute I love) - really like how different it is from most smartphones. It may be true that the specs will be outdated by the time I get it, but the form factor is perfect for me. The Touchpad will do nicely if I need screen real estate.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Give me function over form any day. I don't care what I look like when I'm on the phone. I don't take a glance at something and count it out just because it "looks" this way or that way. I'm more analytical, I actually base things on fact.

Rectangle screen, Rectangle phone. Makes perfect sense. It's a phone, not a sports car.

I don't need pretty little curves or shiny little buttons. Therein lies the problem, Some people like one thing, some people like another. Manufacturing something to please both of them is difficult.

People who base everything on looks would probably produce spherical drinking glasses because they "look" better despite the fact that you could never set them down, can't stack them, are harder to drink out of, and are harder to hold.

Give me a phone that works, and is durable. That's all I ask. Somehow, NONE of the phone companies can do that. They produce a crap phone, and then instead of fixing the flaws of the previous version and adding features, they simply create a new physical form with different flaws.

Name me one phone that doesn't have any of the following:
    + Fragile Screen
    + Crappy OS
    + Crappy Slider
    + Crappy Keyboard
    + Crappy Battery
    + Stupid charging port location (like on the side or top - seriously?)
    Mike Dixon
    Software Developer
    That's what she said.
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    the pre was designed to be a smooth river stone, everything was based on that.. Hence toutchstone etc.

hp design is moving away from that for more practicallity, flat screen etc.

the pre3 addresses all my issues with my pre, I want a bit more screen, with that a bit more keyboard and a processor etc that will keep it running smooth. Done, done and done..

oh yes, once you go toutchstone charging...you hate plugging up, it's soo nice.
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    Yah, Evo is not a phone...its a small computer you're talking into. I think HP is heading in the right direction with their webOS ecosystem more tahn any other company. You get a person a phone small enough to be compact phone type yet big enough for them to operate happily, then give them a pad to go bigger for more intense stuff.

To me this is perfect. The phone is the perfect size for a smartphone OS with apps and web browsing, then if i want to read the WSJ/Kindle, etc, I tap the pad and boom. Yet if the pad is not available at my fingertips, i have a screen suitable enough to get me by if I really must read something etc.
    Yes, but HP is brain dead to not include a regular 3.5 mm audio jack and a USB charging port. Sometimes smart companies do stupid things, HTC did it , the original G1 did not have an audio jack too.
    I don't agree. I wiish they would use that connector on the pre3 and tablet. Magnetic connect is cool, just like the mag charger connection on the macbooks.

I like it. And until you have actually played with it and carried it, keep an open mind.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    "Is it the size or the shape?"

I always thought it was the motion in the ocean . . .
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Quote Originally Posted by davidtm View Post
    "Is it the size or the shape?"

I always thought it was the motion in the ocean . . .
    Only because most women lie, to make guys feel better.

Beamed down to the earthlings from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Yes, but HP is brain dead to not include a regular 3.5 mm audio jack and a USB charging port. Sometimes smart companies do stupid things, HTC did it , the original G1 did not have an audio jack too.
    Bluetooth headphones (or an adapter for them) solve the headphone problem. Sony makes a bluetooth adapter compatible with any phone.
    As for charging the mag connector is a usb charging port... Or better yet, use a touchstone.
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    Bluetooth headphones (or an adapter for them) solve the headphone problem. Sony makes a bluetooth adapter compatible with any phone.
    As for charging the mag connector is a usb charging port... Or better yet, use a touchstone.
    Yup you can get around, but precisely my issue is buying and charging the Bluetooth headset. Plus many do not want to buy touchstone unless it is given free. OTOH you have to carry the adapter to charge with micro USB, not good. Too many things to lug around.
    before i got an ipad, i always used my pre to browse stuff in bed before i went to sleep. now i only use my phone to browse while im at work or on the go, i use the ipad in bed now. having the (somewhat) full internet experience on your phone is great, but the net was intended for a larger screen.

Pre3 is as big a phone as ill ever need, since it will allow me to do a little browsing on the go, and play a quick game at the airport etc. id rather use a tablet or laptop in the home.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I would have to say the shape makes the size more appealing. I just joined the webOS with a shiny new Pixi+. Coming from a HTC Touch (hacked to run android froyo) and a Moto Q9c, the touch felt better to me but the q was far more functional. In the pixi, I find a very functional keyboard (much to my suprise), a pleasing shape, and love that i don't have some frankenthing in my pocket. Just spent the first part of my lunchtime doing size compares of the pixi w the pre3, not that much bigger and much more power. Knowing that the shape will make the Pre3 "feel" much smaller, it may be on my horizon when it hits vzw. just my 2 cents.
    evo is ugly
    I have an Evo right now and when ever I set it down I actually set it down upside down because the back looks much better (just my subconscious do that). That is why I loved the form of my original launch day Sprint Pre. It looks nice and smooth, kinda like how the Veer is getting described but on a bigger scale. I don't think I'm buying a 'boxy' phone again not because I actually decided not to but I just am not impressed with it. The Pre3 actually looks smaller in the hand than the iPhone even though it is in fact bigger just because of the slick edges. I do believe that, if you design it right like HP, you can make a BIG SUPER FONE that appear very normal sized and when you hold it and feel the depth, you will fall in love with it.

If you really want to see/feel the build quality of the Pre3 you can go to WebOSRoundUp's video below. You can skip to 0:32 to see the slide out keyboard.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post

No kidding. My friend has an EVO; he installed Windows 98 on it.