Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Because of the late release date of the Pre3 and the thought they are updating the software. Is it possible that the Pre3 will come with version 3.0 already and that the gesture area will be removed from the device like the tablet?
    No. We've already seen and played with the Pre3 at the ThinkBeyond event. The device specs are set and the device is in production. You can see the device in a couple of threads here, or at Palm.com. The Pre3 is just like the Pre2 only larger, faster, better slider and keyboard, and sexier. No worry about the gesture area... it's still there and functions the same.
    No, the gesture area will likely remain on phones into the future. They way enyo works (apparently) is it determines the resolution of your device, they displays the scenes accordingly. If your on a smaller device, it will stack scenes (as we see with mojo apps) so you'll need a back gesture. If it detects a larger screen, it will lay the scenes side-by-side, so the gestures aren't neccisary.

if you watch the media from the feb9 event, you'll see how a single apps runs differently depending on the device your on.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Basically, if you don't write an enyo app like the mail app (panels) and only want one active scene at a time, for the pad you will have a back button in the app (similar to iOS).

Unless HP adds some sort of on screen gesture to replace the gesture area, which would be cool.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    1) gesture area there on Pre3.

2) lack of gesture are on TouchPad doesn't mean it doesn't use gestures. Gestures are still there, just done on the lcd itself.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 02/24/2011 at 09:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    The device specs are set and the device is in production.
    Prototypes have been produced, but since the Pre 3 has not yet appeared in the FCC database (much less receive approval) it is unlikely to be in production yet.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Prototypes have been produced, but since the Pre 3 has not yet appeared in the FCC database (much less receive approval) it is unlikely to be in production yet.
    fcc filings are kept confidential. The hardware is ready. All that is needed is for webOS version to be finished, and a launch partner.
    If there is a confidentiality agreement in place for a new handset, you can find the letter requesting the level of confidentiality in the FCC database, along with the FCC ID.

For example, here is the letter from Palm requesting confidentiality regarding details of the newly announced European Veer, for a period of 180 days following the Veer's FCC approval date:

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/...;O8F-BROY'

It's the first item, titled "Conf Ltr."

While most details about the handset remain hidden, you can still see which bands it will use and what its FCC ID is.

If you can't find even a letter requesting confidentiality or an FCC ID, it's simply not in there. And right now, the only two new things from Palm are the two Veers.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    If they remove the gesture area, that would be the worst move in the history of cell phones. I think that gestures on the Pre make the phone so much more convenient and I couldn't imagine the Pre without it.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    I would certainly think they would never get rid of the gesture area for the phone - it's what makes webOS what it is. The really interesting thing is that a dev at the event said that even the TouchPad still had a "virtual gesture area" that could be accessed for programming (kind of a box at the bottom of the screen where you can gesture inside). If this is true, I can see Homebrew accessing this and creating some cool stuff.

As other have said, FCC filings can be requested to be kept 'silent' and hidden from public release. I believe (from rumors) that the hardware is already in production and will be ready to be loaded once the software is finalized. But that, like everything, is just speculation.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    The really interesting thing is that a dev at the event said that even the TouchPad still had a "virtual gesture area" that could be accessed for programming (kind of a box at the bottom of the screen where you can gesture inside).
    Ok, this would be tight. I could imagine having a small area at the bottom of the screen that would accomplish this. Very effective.

One of my frustrations with using other phones/tablets (primarily iOS) is the fact that "going back" is not always the same for each app. It slows down my productivity. It's also one of the reasons why I'm pretty fond of Androd phones when I use them. When all else fails, there is a "menu" button that gives me more options. It's always the same. In WebOS, all I do is swipe down from the top to get more options/preferences, or swipe left in the gesture area to go back. It's always the same, and it always works. Love it.

I certainly hope that tablets and all future phones alike maintain the gesture philosophy. It just makes sense.
  12. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    If they remove the gesture area, that would be the worst move in the history of cell phones. I think that gestures on the Pre make the phone so much more convenient and I couldn't imagine the Pre without it.
    Completely agree. The gesture area is a pivotal part of making the UX of WebOS so superior to other mobile OS's. Im still amazed the dropped it from the touchpad as it would have worked well there too, but it *has* to remain on phones
    Favorite function of my Pre 2 was full swipe to move between apps. was semi bummed when this didn't make it to the tablet
    it can be done, just from an on screen button or swiping directly on the screen.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    it can be done, just from an on screen button or swiping directly on the screen.
    You mean it's already in there for the TouchPad or HP could put it in there?
    the buttons were in the apps I saw. I think the ability to swipe the lcd would have to be in webOS (or patched?).

But they introduced a bunch of new gestures on the lcd to handle notifications and interoperation between apps, so all of that may already be in there. Hopefully someone will get some hands-on time with a mature version of the touchpad so we can see more than a carefully scripted demo.
    HP should leverage the early lead it has with gesture areas before it's too late.. And I mean with the Touchpad (since pray-pray they wouldn't do something so stupid as to jack with gesture area on the smartphones). There is already a risk of Apple encroaching via smart-bezel technology. Look at this patent. Grrr...

Apple Patent Hints at iPhones With Smart Bezels For Visual Cues
    Gizmodo, the Gadget Guide
    I would say with enyo the gesture area is going to disapear , why would HP make a tablet without the gesture area and a phone with it, it would make it harder for devs, since HP removed the gesture area from the tablet I'd assume it will be removed from phones going forward
    If there is a confidentiality agreement in place for a new handset, you can find the letter
    Where's the iPhone 5?

Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    I would say with enyo the gesture area is going to disapear , why would HP make a tablet without the gesture area and a phone with it, it would make it harder for devs, since HP removed the gesture area from the tablet I'd assume it will be removed from phones going forward
    No. Reread the thread. Enyo is actually why this is wrong. The tablet doesn't need gestures because you can dynamically change the size of scenes, of which more than one can be concurrently displayed; phones need gestures so you can more easily switch between scenes, of which only one can be displayed at any given time. Plus there might be gestures on the screen instead of a special gesture area. Don't worry.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Where's the iPhone 5?
    Not submitted to the FCC yet. Therefore, not in production. So far all we have seen are engineering images of the phone, so it's safe to assume it's still in the prototyping stage. If you're still expecting a June/July release date, don't hold your breath.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast