Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Iread on the dev forums that future devices smartphones and tablets will not have the gesture area... :/
    but they will support gestures. so there is no issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    but they will support gestures. so there is no issue.
    in what way, as in the screen will allow for gestures? explanation/link please
    We can't know specifically until they release products, but the dev site talks about a "gesture strip" at the bottom edge of the screen. They could also recognize gestures right on the screen (like the do with pinch and zoom today), so there is no worry that we won't be able to toss cards in the future. As the screens get bigger, the list of options grow longer.
    Wait, so there is confirmation that the gesture area is, in fact, going away?

Backswipe was the most elegant thing ever, but people don't "get" it. I've heard of people who returned their phones because "the piece of sh!t can't even go backwards, you always have to close an app to go back".

Would be a sad step, even if it's necessary to make the platform more accessible... but I do hope that they'll still allow for going back by backswipe through some sort of "advanced" feature (like the advanced gesture to switch between apps now).

The whole thing is moot if they just let you backswipe anywhere on the screen. That would even be kind of awesome.
    gestures Is a muss have On the phones imo. I wouldnt buy a new webos phone without it. I just lose the gesture Area cause it Frees up the screen Of buttons. If they would geht rid Of it, it would Be the stupidest move of hp yet....
    Removing it on the TouchPad I can see why, but on the phones? No thanks. The gesture area is what made my Pre so usable single-handed.

Also there's zero indication that WebOS 3.0 will not support the gesture. The TouchPad doesn't have it, and that's just that.

Besides underlying, the back and forward gestures are just equivalent to the Back button you see on some "Internet" keyboards. Even a barebone Linux install or even Windows supports it without drivers.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    No need for dedicated touch area, just make gestures you currently use in the touch area work at the very bottom of the screen. Saves space as you can have a larger screen or smaller device just integrating those gestures into the screen.

unfortunately it doesn't look like hp is implementing this just yet, hopefully they get the idea. Can work on touchpad equally well and maintains continuity across devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjab View Post
    No need for dedicated touch area, just make gestures you currently use in the touch area work at the very bottom of the screen. Saves space as you can have a larger screen or smaller device just integrating those gestures into the screen.

unfortunately it doesn't look like hp is implementing this just yet, hopefully they get the idea. Can work on touchpad equally well and maintains continuity across devices.
    will there be 2 gesture areas? if there is only one, then when i put the device in landscape mode will I need to make the gestures off to the side? I guess this is something that will eventually come out when we get closer to the release date.
    I don't know where all this conjecture is coming from. To remove the gesture area would necessitate a complete re-work of the OS. We've seen pictures of the Touchpad which will have WebOS 3.0, and it still has the gesture area, and it's ridiculous to suggest they will be making a one-off version of WebOS for the Pre3. Where are these rumors coming from?
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    I don't know where all this conjecture is coming from. To remove the gesture area would necessitate a complete re-work of the OS. We've seen pictures of the Touchpad which will have WebOS 3.0, and it still has the gesture area, and it's ridiculous to suggest they will be making a one-off version of WebOS for the Pre3. Where are these rumors coming from?
    touchpad has a gesture area....I thought it was taken off...?
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    touchpad has a gesture area....I thought it was taken off...?
    Was it? I just looked at the news page on precentral.net, and it clearly shows a Touchpad with a white gesture strip on the right side of the screen (would be the bottom if held portrait vs landscape).

Touchscreens are a fad.
    Was it? I just looked at the news page on precentral.net, and it clearly shows a Touchpad with a white gesture strip on the right side of the screen (would be the bottom if held portrait vs landscape).

only a button/notification light, no gesture area. There has been a big uproar about this, hp/palm got rid of the gesture area because they had user issues with it in prototype trials.
    Hrmm, guess I haven't been keeping up with the news as much. Seems stupid to dumb down a device to the lowest common denominator.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    True.
    The picture of the Stingray looks like it has a similar button. I hope there's still some touch sensitivity down there.

Okay, I beat you all to it. That's what she said.
    *badum ching*
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    If they remove the gesture area on the phones, then I will leave the platform. Gestures is absolutely my favorite thing about WebOS. I just don't want to have to live without it. It's bad enough that they've tampered with it on the Touchpad. Why would they remove something that is such a differentiating and cool factor above all of the other platforms?

Um, I think the conjecture comes from a few of the official affiliates who were demonstrated the device saying that there will be no dedicated gesture area. I hope you're right, but I have seen and read two different demos/articles where it was said there would be no gesture area on the Touchpad.
    I personally think that even on future WebOS 3.0 smartphones, the gesture area will still be there. The gesture area is just obsolete on tablets and isn't needed because of the new Enyo framework. On a smaller screen however, it will still need to be pushed back and forth from screens.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Guys, I had a go with a Pre3 at ThinkBeyond, and, assuming my memory still serves me correctly, I was able to go back through the Photos app with the usual back-swipe. Sure, it was a little awkward for me to get used to, due to the size, but I'm pretty sure it's still there.
    Let me show you what cynicism looks like.
    umm the touchpads screen will be the gesture area lol come on man ! really .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast