Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
       #1  
    Sadly, I haven't spoken to a sprint rep but I thought that people would be interested in what Leo A had to say in the light of the earning call. He was interviewed on Bloomberg's 'Street Smart' and this is vertabim what he said:

    As to announced dates, we haven't changed them from the announcement. We still plan to have the Veer coming out in early spring, the Pre3 in the summer and the tablet, at least a wifi version of the tablet, of our touchpad, coming out this summer in the US and selected markets.

    Obviously this could change but that's straight from the horse's mouth about the current position - you can see the video here (where he also talks about his general view of the tablet market):

    Hewlett-Packard's Apotheker Interview - Video - Bloomberg
  2. 2xs
    2xs is offline
    2xs's Avatar
    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    #2  
    I am still betting for a strategical reasoned misinformation :-) Maybe they just want best timing to make Apple announcements yesterday-news....



    *praying*
    current devices: PRE+
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xs View Post
    I am still betting for a strategical reasoned misinformation :-) Maybe they just want best timing to make Apple announcements yesterday-news....



    *praying*
    Why would they deliver wrong release date information as a measure of strategy? Everyone else's release schedules for the rest of 2011 are pretty much locked, and they're all rushing to market for their own sakes. It's not like HTC or Apple heard that HP wasn't dropping major new devices until "summer" and said "Whew, we can rest easy, boys. Looks like we have plenty of time to release the brand new __________"

    No competitor has "beat HP's WebOS to market" as the major driving force of their release schedule.
  4. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
       #4  
    Also in the recent earnings call, the CFO of HP Chief Financial Officer notes that:

    And finally, in the second half of the year, we’ll also benefit from the launch of our new webOS family of products. And so I think that kind of shows what happens in the second half.
  5. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Why would they deliver wrong release date information as a measure of strategy? Everyone else's release schedules for the rest of 2011 are pretty much locked, and they're all rushing to market for their own sakes. It's not like HTC or Apple heard that HP wasn't dropping major new devices until "summer" and said "Whew, we can rest easy, boys. Looks like we have plenty of time to release the brand new __________"

    No competitor has "beat HP's WebOS to market" as the major driving force of their release schedule.
    Well on the other hand - maybe:

    1) It wasn't Leo on that show, it was an imposter

    2) They re-edited the tape to misquote him

    3) We are misunderstanding what the statement "in the summer" means, it's open to interpretation and could mean "next week".

  6. #6  
    Obviously you haven't read this article that Dieter wrote: webOS 2 and the hard call | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

    He defends HP saying they didn't lie to us, but rather, "plans changed".

    In fact the wording he used in the article was "No lie: plans change

    "

    So, do you notice the wording in everything HP does now? Availability is "planned" this Spring and Summer. A nice convenient out IMHO.
  7. mike5's Avatar
    Posts
    762 Posts
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    #7  
    I think we need confirmation from a Sprint Rep. :-)
  8. #8  
    I don't give a hoot what Dieter wrote. Precentral probably wants to remain friends with HP so he's going to be a little favorable to HP/Palm products. Just like why it was a good decision not to roll out webOS 2.x to older generation products (even though they're now doing it for Europe).

    If you say you're going to do something, and you don't, it's STILL A LIE.

    You tell a friend in the morning that you're going to meet him them at 4:00PM at the Irish Pub. At 3:45PM, you find out this girl you've liked for months has broken up with her boyfriend and she wants to go out with you to happy hour so you say heck yeah and go with her to the trendy bar. At 4:05PM, when you get to the trendy bar, you finally have time to text your friend that you won't be able to make it cause you're with the girl.

    Did you lie? Hell yes you lied. The friend may totally forgive you for it, but you still lied.

    HP took a lot of time between the announcement of webOS 2.x for legacy devices and then deciding not to hold up their end of the deal. How many people stuck with older generation devices instead of moving to Android because we were expecting Flash and other improvements? I did. A lot of developers surely did. If i had known in November that my little Pre on 1.4.5 without voice functions, flash and a microphone API would be all I really had as an option until this Summer, I'd almost definitely have gotten an EVO already. Now, I'm torn again because Summer is tantalizingly close. I got screwed and so did MANY webOS users because HP certainly knew or was leaning towards no webOS 2.x release coming to legacy webOS devices long before the February.

    Instead of admitting the change of heart (and yes, lie), HP strung us along for a couple months until "Summer" was close enough to cause us to second guess a platform switch. That's as simple as it gets. It was cold. It was calculating. It was premeditated. It was a lie.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    It was a lie.
    @EvilKell, don't know if your comment was directed at me based on what Dieter wrote, but for what it's worth (which is not really much), I completely agree with you.

    I personally find it very hard to believe that they made this sudden decision between the morning of their "Think Big Lies, Think Small Lies, Think Beyond Lies" event and the afternoon as Dieter seems to think in his article. This decision was made some time ago and, I agree with you, they decided to string us along until they had their good news of the Veer, Pre3, and TouchPad to allow the "we lied to our existing customers" to be lost in the midst of it.

    They had to know if they announced the decision when it was made that there would be massive defections from the platform from users as well as developers. Instead they are leading the sheep along to believe that the Pre3 is coming to their preferred carrier when in fact they have no agreement with any carrier (other than VZW for the Pre2). Now that they have announced the Pre3 all those who have drank the koolaid are fine with the explanation Dieter gave and willing to wait until "summer" to see if their carrier will get the Pre3.

    It will be interesting to see how HP handles this moving forward. Given their tumble in the stock market because of their lack of direction and the problems they have had in the past (Hurd) they have an even more uphill battle to fight than just on the webOS front.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    .... HP took a lot of time between the announcement of webOS 2.x for legacy devices and then deciding not to hold up their end of the deal. How many people stuck with older generation devices instead of moving to Android because we were expecting Flash and other improvements? I did. A lot of developers surely did. If i had known in November that my little Pre on 1.4.5 without voice functions, flash and a microphone API would be all I really had as an option until this Summer, I'd almost definitely have gotten an EVO already. Now, I'm torn again because Summer is tantalizingly close. I got screwed and so did MANY webOS users because HP certainly knew or was leaning towards no webOS 2.x release coming to legacy webOS devices long before the February.

    Instead of admitting the change of heart (and yes, lie), HP strung us along for a couple months until "Summer" was close enough to cause us to second guess a platform switch. That's as simple as it gets. It was cold. It was calculating. It was premeditated. It was a lie.
    Good post.

Posting Permissions