Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I bet it's because WebOS 2.0 does not support dual core processors and 3.0 does. They may not have had time to implement it. What do you guys think?
    I think it's a matter of fitting the right cpu to form factor and battery capacity.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    It seems that dual core is a wee bit much horsepower for a phone.

Are we looking to get fans installed in our phones to cool all of that?
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post

No that would be silly. Now some heat pipes on the other hand
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post

I wouldn't say that, there are phones that are being released with dual cores. The main benefit of dual core is the amount of power you'll save. I don't need that much power but if I had it I wouldn't mind it lol.
    I'm sure they are working on dual core stuff. But when the pre was designed, it wasn't an option. Ironically everyone cried that palm would fal if they didn't use the same snapdragon that appeared in recent droids. And palm did, only at a much higher clock speed and lower power consumption. I'll wait until it ships before I question component choices.
    i dont kno if the pre3 is palms leftovers but if it is, thats fine by me cuz i like the form factor, and what, u dont think a 1.4ghz chipset will do the job?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    I wouldn't say that, there are phones that are being released with dual cores. The main benefit of dual core is the amount of power you'll save. I don't need that much power but if I had it I wouldn't mind it lol.
    true, but they're using next gen snapdragon processors in the pre 3. It will have all of the benefits of better power management with less power consumption.
    If the Pre 3 runs it's OS in a silk smooth way, why do you need an extra core? Battery consumption is less, but only if the OS is optimized to use it. Perhaps that is the reason?
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    I'd like dual core to future proof things a little. That's the trend in the market. That's where the super phones are going. I'm trying to "Think Beyond" and not see what was sitting in the labs of Palm two years ago being advertised as thinking beyond.

And yes, the OS does need to be optimized for the dual core, but shouldn't it being moving toward that trend? Things have been rather stagnant. Hardware isn't really moving forward all too much. This hardware progression is reminiscent of old Palm going from the 600 to 650 to 700 to 755. People weren't happy then so why should they be now?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I don't think the Pre3 was a leftover,but I do think the pre 2 was.We can't say if the Pre3 having a sinlge core is good or bad and if it should have had a dual corebecause it's not available to the public yet.I do believe future versions will have it if WebOS is still in phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I'd like dual core to future proof things a little.
    I think anyone that expects a cell phone to be “future proof” is expecting too much.

Personally, I want a phone that fits in my pocket. I want it to have a high res screen that can playback h264 video at that resolution. I want it to be snappy in operation, both in the UI and in programs. I want it to have the ability to play the most demanding mobile games that come out for at least the next 6 months after release. I want it to have a battery that can last all day even with moderate usage and doesn’t get overly warm even when being held in both hands for extended periods of time.

I don’t care if it has a gerbil spinning a tread-wheel, or an octo-core chip inside it. That is merely details.

For me, the next “big jump” in phone capability is when the phone processor and storage capabilities are large enough to be able to accommodate full BR rips, played back either on the screen or to an external display. When they can handle that with minimal fanfare, wake me up. Otherwise, the normal progression of power one-upmanship doesn’t concern me too much.

-Suntan
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I'm sure they are working on dual core stuff. But when the pre was designed, it wasn't an option. Ironically everyone cried that palm would fal if they didn't use the same snapdragon that appeared in recent droids. And palm did, only at a much higher clock speed and lower power consumption. I'll wait until it ships before I question component choices.
    For me the more important question is "why isn't NFC" in there? If you look at the time-frame when the Pre3 is anticipated to be released, pretty much all of the main OSes (barring W7) will have NFC devices available. That doesn't mean much at the moment but by the time this is out, we are going to be see lots of interesting services and applications using NFC popping up.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    That doesn't mean much at the moment but by the time this is out, we are going to be see lots of interesting services and applications using NFC popping up.
    What type of services would you think to be available in the next 2 years?

-Suntan
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    both the pre3 and veer appear to be left over from palm, but i suspect that the biggest reason was optimization for dual core. I think in webos 2.0 battery drain would be too much for the phone and they are realsing 3.0 on the tablet to help "beta" test the batt drain on dual core. that way when there dual core phone comes down the road users will have a much better experience.
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    both the pre3 and veer appear to be left over from palm, but i suspect that the biggest reason was optimization for dual core. I think in webos 2.0 battery drain would be too much for the phone and they are realsing 3.0 on the tablet to help "beta" test the batt drain on dual core. that way when there dual core phone comes down the road users will have a much better experience.
    It's best to do some kind of research befor you make assumptions. NONE of the hardware inside of both the Pre3 & VEER are even closeto the same as was in the pre, pre+, pre2 or pixi . And I repeat , NONE of the hardware is the same . Completely different .

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-ḶøØṫ-ŦḯØη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    What type of services would you think to be available in the next 2 years?

-Suntan
    Broadly you are going to see services in three categories - Ticketing, payments and sharing - so things like - the ability to use as token/ticket, general payment methods, instant connectivity between unpair devices (ability to share URLs, contact information, files etc etc instantly), ability to receive information from sensors (so you put it in your car and it instantly logs all your telemetry information).

The hold-up in innovation so far is simply that users don't have devices with NFC chips in them - there are a lot of phones coming out in the next six months with NFC so that will change. This is not going to be limited at the top-end of the market, ZTE (third biggest phone manufacturer in the world) who make budget android handsets is including NFC in all of it's handsets.

(if anyone is wondering "isn't that touch to share?" - that is (AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK) $a$ $bluetooth$ $based$ $method$ $of$ $sharing$ $information$ with yourself between paired devices using the same user profile).
    Last edited by CGK; 02/21/2011 at 11:42 AM.
    I'm stuck for two years with a phone. The latest trend from other mfgs is to go dual core. It's the future. I'm I'm re-emerging with a new product line and trying to think ahead, I want to invest in a phone that follows that logic of thinking. I don't want to spend another two years with an incremental upgrade over the last two phones. I suffered through that with PalmOS. For me, either Palm phone is purely a backup now. I'd love to come back and use webOS, but this hardware that still isn't available is running in line with the lack of certain software to boot. I just thought the whole point of Thinking Ahead was to actually do just that. I wanted to be wowed. I wanted to say I'm on that if they have doc editing and seamless google voice come summer. But that just wasn't the case. So I'm left underwhelmed.

And if you had external storage capabilities you could easily throw some blue ray rips on cards and have access to them. Storage is yet another underwhelming thing that I don't understand. 16gb and onboard only halfway through 2011? Good luck with your BR rips.

And this isn't one-upmanship. It's staying current. It's following the trend of the market and seeing the direction the industry is going.

Also, the 1200+ mAh battery makes me wonder too. Will be interesting to see how it fares in real life usage. I look at Motorola, and while they need some help on the convergence side of the Atrix, the phone itself should be looked at as a standard of where things are heading.

Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    I think anyone that expects a cell phone to be “future proof” is expecting too much.

Personally, I want a phone that fits in my pocket. I want it to have a high res screen that can playback h264 video at that resolution. I want it to be snappy in operation, both in the UI and in programs. I want it to have the ability to play the most demanding mobile games that come out for at least the next 6 months after release. I want it to have a battery that can last all day even with moderate usage and doesn’t get overly warm even when being held in both hands for extended periods of time.

I don’t care if it has a gerbil spinning a tread-wheel, or an octo-core chip inside it. That is merely details.

For me, the next “big jump” in phone capability is when the phone processor and storage capabilities are large enough to be able to accommodate full BR rips, played back either on the screen or to an external display. When they can handle that with minimal fanfare, wake me up. Otherwise, the normal progression of power one-upmanship doesn’t concern me too much.

-Suntan
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    For me the more important question is "why isn't NFC" in there? If you look at the time-frame when the Pre3 is anticipated to be released, pretty much all of the main OSes (barring W7) will have NFC devices available. That doesn't mean much at the moment but by the time this is out, we are going to be see lots of interesting services and applications using NFC popping up.
    I want know why nyc isn't in the touchpad, because HP was clearly working on that as an android device before they bought palm. The pre3 and ever were all palm designs before hp stepped in. So palm made compromises to reflect resource limits. But anything hp designed in the last several years should have it included. TTS is nice, but proprietary and not going to help if I don't buy the phone/pad as a pair, and it won't help when every retailer has it built in to their cash registers...
    Sorry, but when you put the Pre, Pre+, Pre 2 and Pre 3 next to one another, how do you not see the same phone. How do you not see the same incremental improvements that we saw in the Treo line years back outside of going to a 3.6" screen? I could see coming out with the 3 if any of the others were successes, but they weren't. They appealed to a small niche and that's how it remained. Think they should've shook things about a bit for this round. Incremental design changes, incremental memory upgrades, incremental revisions to the keyboard though coming from the Pre, even incremental is an improvement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    It's best to do some kind of research befor you make assumptions. NONE of the hardware inside of both the Pre3 & VEER are even closeto the same as was in the pre, pre+, pre2 or pixi . And I repeat , NONE of the hardware is the same . Completely different .

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast