Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    So in other words, you need to have bluetooth constantly on in order for the sharing of info to work. To me that just sounds like a waste of battery power.
    No NFC is virtually powerless (and can actually still be read by a reader if even you phone was flat) - you'd wave the phones together and software would then turn on and use the bluetooth chip and then turn it off.

We can play the standard WebOS game of "I CAN'T SEE THE POINT OF THAT" (larger screens, onscreen keyboards, 4g, apps, slab designs etc) all day but NFC isn't a technology that's coming, it's a technology that's here and used by millions of people every day, phones are simply a new usage.
    codecrumb, I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but OMAP4 isn't going to save you tons of power; it's built to increase performance at similar power levels per core. Both the OMAP3 and OMAP4 use the same ARMv7 instruction set so you can throw that out.

From ARM, I think it's probably appropriate to assume substantial power consumption increases for the processor. Scale the processors, and you'll see that Cortex A9 has big efficiency and performance advantage clock for clock, but you're still talking about at least 2x the power consumption.
    Cortex A8 < 300mW operation at 2000 MIPS (Dhrystone) @ 1GHz Single
    Cortex A9 = 750mW scaled at 7500 MIPS (Dhrystone) @ 1.5GHz Dual

Cortex-A8 Processor - ARM
    Cortex-A9 Processor - ARM

If you want to read all the tech speak, scale all the processors out, you should be able to reach my numbers above.

Onto the GPU. According to Anandtech, there's reason to believe the SGX540 was overclocked 25% in the OMAP4440 SoC. That will not help power consumption. Expect more power consumption there, too.

TI Reveals OMAP4440 Specs: Dual 1.5GHz Cortex A9, 25% Faster GPU, HDMI 1.4 3D, 1080p60 - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

I don't see any possible way the OMAP4440 will not require substantially more battery power than the Pre3.

Now that I think that should be settled, do you need an OMAP4440 in a smartphone? Are there any situations in which the mobile apps, the 3.6" display and resolution will require the super powerful OMAP4440? The answer is hell no. Not even tablets need that level of power right now as evidenced by the fact no known tablet will use anything higher than the OMAP4430 (Blackberry Playbook with a 5,300mAh battery, a small 7" screen, and already with battery life complaints to debunk)
    Last edited by EvilKell; 02/23/2011 at 02:37 PM. Reason: processor vs. SoC
    Side note, if you're going to debate that any change to a processor generation will result in better than a 25% power savings, clock per clock, core per core, you need to back up what YOU'RE saying, not ask somebody else to prove it to you.

Any assertion that a next generation processor running a 50% clock speed increase and 2x the number of cores will be more efficient than a previous generation processor, even with a major overclock, is generally ridiculous.
    I don't think it matters much. (but I would still have lived a dual-core)
    The 1.4 GHz processor is technically faster, as far as cycles per second, than the TouchPad's. It will be more than able to run the much more optimized version of WebOS blazing fast. AND all the reviews I have read they are all telling that it was so fast it was spitting out fire. Can't wait to chew on some juicy 1.4 GHz!!! Mmmm...
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    @astraith

To get back on track, I think it "could" be one of the reasons behind it. It is understandable that they would want to test/build webOS for a snapdragon device before (also) trying to move to dual core. I think veer and Pre3 allowed them to build/optimize webOS for snapdragon/Adreno processor/GPU first and then they worked on making it compatible with dual core for the tablet.

Tmobile G2 with its 800 MHz 2nd gen processor is on par with and in some cases faster than a 1 GHz Ti OMAP 3430 or a hummingbird based device. A 1.4 GHz Pre3 should be on par with anything that comes out by summer. Also, my 500 MHz Pre minus is only slow because it has only 256 MB memory. The biggest problem with Pre minus was the TMC and not really the speed. With Enyo and a bigger memory and faster processor Pre3 shouldn't really have any issues. Battery life will be better than a Pre minus but if it isn't I can always get a spare battery or a 2nd touchstone. So, for performance issues or for comparison with Next-gen hardwrae's sake HP didn't "really" need a dual core processor. All videos of Veer show that in spite of having a processor running at 800 MHz processor it is blazingly fast.

So, to summarize, I think your theory that webOS 2.0 is not SMP aware seems correct. It would have to be running on an SMP aware build of Linux at the bare minimum which webOS 2.0 isn't running (not that it needs to).
    It's not difficult to make a kernel that is SMP aware with the correct I/O scheduler. The problem is that they had to move away from having everything loaded inside luna or add the GPU functionality offload to it. Either or, they needed to optimize 3.0. Architectures of the current processors are key when choosing a mobile SoC. The 1.4Ghz Snapdragon processor is blazing fast. I have a feeling that HP will response with another phone in the summer. They were originally testing an OMAP4430 processor. Screens were limited, WebOS 2.0 wasn't quite ready and the transition to 3.0 was only for the tablet.
    Sprint Palm 2 - Developer Mode - 2.1.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    I don't think it matters much. (but I would still have lived a dual-core)
    The 1.4 GHz processor is technically faster, as far as cycles per second, than the TouchPad's. It will be more than able to run the much more optimized version of WebOS blazing fast. AND all the reviews I have read they are all telling that it was so fast it was spitting out fire. Can't wait to chew on some juicy 1.4 GHz!!! Mmmm...
    Meeee tooooooo
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345