Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 86
  1. #61  
    A few questions here for you pundits (conjecture welcome):

    Sounds like they are announcing "current" stuff to coincide with everyone else's "nextgen" stuff, also slated to appear this summer. Is this what I am hearing?

    There are so many mobile processors out there, my brain wants to explode. It's the end result that matters to me anyway. What does the Qualcomm processor DO anyway, compared with others (video, games, rendering, etc) that would make HPalm pick it instead?

    I have seen the iPhone do the bump (tapping to send files and stuff). Did they discontinue that?

    It's a shame the P3 is actually physically larger than the P1/2 but the battery seems...well by percentages, actually smaller/same size. Was there a reason for this?

    I also notice that the Pre3 does NOT show a Gyroscope listed...with all the hype about augmented reality and so on, I wonder why they didn't include it, any ideas?
  2. #62  
    1) The Pre3 is competitive with all the "next gen" stuff that has been announced. The resolution on the Pre3's screen results in a similar pixel density when compared to the Atrix and Droid Bionic. The 1.4GHz processor is faster than a dual core 1.0GHz setup. A 5MP camera is more than adequate in the world of smart phones as it's about quality, not quantity when you start hitting 3MP+ anyway.
    2) I have never heard of an iPhone with NFC or a tap to share function.
    3) The battery is questionable. While the new chip set has a die shrink for enhanced battery life, and webOS 2.x is supposed to be much more efficient, nobody can say definitively the Pre3 will have better battery life than the original Pre minus.

    The gyroscope adds the potential to be more precise than an accelerometer, but I don't know as it's necessary.

    HP addressed virtually every single complaint about the former Pre series phones, yet there is always something people want to complain about.
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    1) The Pre3 is competitive with all the "next gen" stuff that has been announced. The resolution on the Pre3's screen results in a similar pixel density when compared to the Atrix and Droid Bionic. The 1.4GHz processor is faster than a dual core 1.0GHz setup. A 5MP camera is more than adequate in the world of smart phones as it's about quality, not quantity when you start hitting 3MP+ anyway.
    2) I have never heard of an iPhone with NFC or a tap to share function.
    3) The battery is questionable. While the new chip set has a die shrink for enhanced battery life, and webOS 2.x is supposed to be much more efficient, nobody can say definitively the Pre3 will have better battery life than the original Pre minus.

    The gyroscope adds the potential to be more precise than an accelerometer, but I don't know as it's necessary.

    HP addressed virtually every single complaint about the former Pre series phones, yet there is always something people want to complain about.
    Ummm... the iPhone has had the Bump app to do tap to share for a very long time, now.

    Beamed down to the earthlings from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    If the application is not multithreaded then you will gain no benefit from multiple cores. My experience has been that a single core has a higher clockspeed, and therefore will run a single-threaded task faster than an N-core system.
    That assumes that the user is only running one application at a time or doesn't have any services in the background doing work. That's not the case with most systems now and an extra core does help if the OS' scheduler balances the load appropriately over all the cores.
    Quote Originally Posted by GenTarkin View Post
    I wonder if webos is even multithreaded because if it isnt, it wouldnt really be able to take advantage of the extra core. Only seperate tasks such as the audio engine and other actual linux processes could run on the second core if webos is not multithreaded to begin with.
    Specifically does the webOS UI run each card as it's own thread or process? If it does, then another core would help.
  5. angiest's Avatar
    Posts
    933 Posts
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    That assumes that the user is only running one application at a time or doesn't have any services in the background doing work. That's not the case with most systems now and an extra core does help if the OS' scheduler balances the load appropriately over all the cores.

    Specifically does the webOS UI run each card as it's own thread or process? If it does, then another core would help.
    The way I understand it, currently, native webOS apps run inside the great big LunSysManager process, which is probably why I have seen it peg the CPU on my Pre-, from time to time. I am not sure how PDK apps work.
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    The way I understand it, currently, native webOS apps run inside the great big LunSysManager process, which is probably why I have seen it peg the CPU on my Pre-, from time to time. I am not sure how PDK apps work.
    From what I can tell, PDK apps are their own processes. I just tested this out by looking at the process list using Terminal while running Angry Birds and Angry Birds Seasons. They show up as separate processes, but launching additional Mojo apps do not show up as additional processes. I haven't checked to see how many different threads Luna uses.
  7.    #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Whether or not webOS 1.x or 2.x support dual core processors is irrelevant. There are no dual core devices for those operating systems, and there never will be. webOS 3.0 will be extended to the Palm Pre 3 and Veer via an OTA update last I heard.

    The Palm Pre3's single core processor will outperform most of the expected dual core processors in phones that have been announced anyway so even if the webOS 1.x and 2.x OS's did support dual core, there's no reason HP would really have to put a dual core into the Pre3.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    1) The Pre3 is competitive with all the "next gen" stuff that has been announced. The resolution on the Pre3's screen results in a similar pixel density when compared to the Atrix and Droid Bionic. The 1.4GHz processor is faster than a dual core 1.0GHz setup. A 5MP camera is more than adequate in the world of smart phones as it's about quality, not quantity when you start hitting 3MP+ anyway.
    2) I have never heard of an iPhone with NFC or a tap to share function.
    3) The battery is questionable. While the new chip set has a die shrink for enhanced battery life, and webOS 2.x is supposed to be much more efficient, nobody can say definitively the Pre3 will have better battery life than the original Pre minus.

    The gyroscope adds the potential to be more precise than an accelerometer, but I don't know as it's necessary.

    HP addressed virtually every single complaint about the former Pre series phones, yet there is always something people want to complain about.
    Your really not getting it.

    Why are there no devices with those dual core cores? They could have choosen OMAP 4 1.5 ghz processor -- which, btw, is available TODAY -- for the Palm Pre 3. That would have been a great choice for the Pre 3. They could have choosen the dual core snapdragon processor for the Pre 3. That also would have been a good choice (on a side note, the SoC they did choose IS a good choice).

    My question is is the reason the choose the most powerful single core processor available instead of a more powerful processor like OMAP 4 1.5 ghz processor (link) because WebOS 2.0 does not support dual core processors? Did they not have enough time to make it available for it? Or did they think it was better to choose the 1.4ghz processor? Thats really the question.

    Does it matter in the end? Not really -- I AGREE with you that the Snapdragon processor in the PRE 3 IS a powerful and great choice for the device. I NEVER said anything else and if I did QUOTE me. It's not possible, though, I'll save you the time.

    Thats the point of this thread. To see if people think THATS the reason for the choice, or if it was because HP thought it was a better choice.
  8. #68  
    @astraith

    To get back on track, I think it "could" be one of the reasons behind it. It is understandable that they would want to test/build webOS for a snapdragon device before (also) trying to move to dual core. I think veer and Pre3 allowed them to build/optimize webOS for snapdragon/Adreno processor/GPU first and then they worked on making it compatible with dual core for the tablet.

    Tmobile G2 with its 800 MHz 2nd gen processor is on par with and in some cases faster than a 1 GHz Ti OMAP 3430 or a hummingbird based device. A 1.4 GHz Pre3 should be on par with anything that comes out by summer. Also, my 500 MHz Pre minus is only slow because it has only 256 MB memory. The biggest problem with Pre minus was the TMC and not really the speed. With Enyo and a bigger memory and faster processor Pre3 shouldn't really have any issues. Battery life will be better than a Pre minus but if it isn't I can always get a spare battery or a 2nd touchstone. So, for performance issues or for comparison with Next-gen hardwrae's sake HP didn't "really" need a dual core processor. All videos of Veer show that in spite of having a processor running at 800 MHz processor it is blazingly fast.

    So, to summarize, I think your theory that webOS 2.0 is not SMP aware seems correct. It would have to be running on an SMP aware build of Linux at the bare minimum which webOS 2.0 isn't running (not that it needs to).
    Last edited by sapient2k7; 02/22/2011 at 10:44 PM. Reason: clarification
  9.    #69  
    @sapIent thank u!!! You also answered my question on why the move from TI to Snapdragon -- probably more power. And yes the Veer looks fast doesn't?
  10. #70  
    You forgot to mention Qualcomm and Netflix.
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Ummm... the iPhone has had the Bump app to do tap to share for a very long time, now.

    Beamed down to the earthlings from my eVo
    Thanks for the info, I did a google search for anything like touch to share but nothing came up quickly.

    Sounds like "Bump" is also available for Android.

    Side note, the "Bump" app and others do not not appear to be competition with "touch to share" The bump app doesn't transfer active data from one application to another like starting a task and transferring that task to another device.

    Still, Bump is a very cool app.
    The Bump App for iPhone and Android | Bump Technologies, Inc.
  12. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #72  
    Side note, the "Bump" app and others do not not appear to be competition with "touch to share" The bump app doesn't transfer active data from one application to another like starting a task and transferring that task to another device.
    It's irrelevant really - by the time, TTS comes to market, all of the current range of Blackberries, Androids and (maybe) iphone 5 will have NFC which is a common standard that will allow that in a simple way using a mixture of NFC (for the handshake) and bluetooth (for the bandwidth). I'll be amazed if Bump isn't modified to take advantage of that - if it's not, it will be completely superseded very quickly.
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    That assumes that the user is only running one application at a time or doesn't have any services in the background doing work. That's not the case with most systems now and an extra core does help if the OS' scheduler balances the load appropriately over all the cores.

    Specifically does the webOS UI run each card as it's own thread or process? If it does, then another core would help.
    What, specifically, would it help if the Pre3 can already handle all you will ever throw at it? If the Pre3 was laggy or maxing out it's processing capacity due to multi-tasking, you'd have a point.

    There is every reason to believe the Pre3 has no problems with any multi-tasking you should throw at it. Even the Pre- overclocked can handle just about all the apps you want to run at the same time.

    There is also every reason to believe the Pre3 will run games and other intense applications a lot better than a dual core 1.0GHz.

    Matching parts to the jobs you need them to do is key to any system/car/device build.
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Your really not getting it.

    Why are there no devices with those dual core cores? They could have choosen OMAP 4 1.5 ghz processor -- which, btw, is available TODAY -- for the Palm Pre 3. That would have been a great choice for the Pre 3. They could have choosen the dual core snapdragon processor for the Pre 3. That also would have been a good choice (on a side note, the SoC they did choose IS a good choice).

    My question is is the reason the choose the most powerful single core processor available instead of a more powerful processor like OMAP 4 1.5 ghz processor (link) because WebOS 2.0 does not support dual core processors? Did they not have enough time to make it available for it? Or did they think it was better to choose the 1.4ghz processor? Thats really the question.

    Does it matter in the end? Not really -- I AGREE with you that the Snapdragon processor in the PRE 3 IS a powerful and great choice for the device. I NEVER said anything else and if I did QUOTE me. It's not possible, though, I'll save you the time.

    Thats the point of this thread. To see if people think THATS the reason for the choice, or if it was because HP thought it was a better choice.
    You still don't get it, and you don't get it because you don't understand the technology you're coveting. Please stop.

    An OMAP 4 processor with a 1.5GHz dual core, and a SGX540 GPU would be an absolute travesty in a smartphone with a 1,230 or even 2,000 mAh battery.

    Necessary Performance: OMAP4440 = MSM8255 @ 1.4GHz
    Manufacturing Cost: MSM8255 @ 1.4GHz > OMAP4440
    Battery Life: MSM8255 @ 1.4 GHz > OMAP4440

    Like I've stated over and over in here, like people continue to overlook because they're obsessed with either some obscure scenario in which specs outweigh real world situations:

    Dual core hurts the Pre3's performance while making it way more expensive to manufacture and potentially killing battery life. There is virtually nothing positive a dual core processor would bring to the Pre3. That's why HP didn't select dual core.
  15. #75  
    I agree and I disagree with evil. Right now they are fighting for mindshare. Andriod has done this through specs. Apple has done it through being cool. Used to be the elite PC for those who knew about computers that has transitioned into your grandmothers PC...strange. Everyone remembers when dual cores hit pc's and the heavens opened. Even if there isn't much to be gained performance wise with a dual core processor there is still mind share to be had. Lets just hope 1.4 attracts more people and has better performance than 1x2.
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Really Long Post
    Glad to know we have someone so knowledgeable in our midst.
    Current: Palm Pre 2
    History: [Palm] Pre Plus - [IOS] iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G - [Blackberry] Pearl 8120, Storm 9530, Bold 9000, Bold 9700, Torch 9800 - [WP7] HTC HD7S - [WM] HTC Fuze - [Android] HTC Aria
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    It's irrelevant really - by the time, TTS comes to market, all of the current range of Blackberries, Androids and (maybe) iphone 5 will have NFC which is a common standard that will allow that in a simple way using a mixture of NFC (for the handshake) and bluetooth (for the bandwidth). I'll be amazed if Bump isn't modified to take advantage of that - if it's not, it will be completely superseded very quickly.
    So in other words, you need to have bluetooth constantly on in order for the sharing of info to work. To me that just sounds like a waste of battery power.
  18. angiest's Avatar
    Posts
    933 Posts
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    So in other words, you need to have bluetooth constantly on in order for the sharing of info to work. To me that just sounds like a waste of battery power.
    In my (unscientific) testing, the only radio that had a significant battery drain is the 3G data radio. With Wifi, BT, and even GPS on or off, I saw no real drain in batter. Wifi on and connected improves batter, but even better is to use modeswitcher and have a profile to shut off the 3G data radio when connected to Wifi. The only time I care about which radios are turned on is when I am under ~15% battery and don't have immediate access to power. In those cases, I manually enable a mode that turns off all radios except the voice radio. I have lasted for well over 10 minutes on 0% with that setup.
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    So in other words, you need to have bluetooth constantly on in order for the sharing of info to work. To me that just sounds like a waste of battery power.
    It’s actually kind of funny.

    We’ve spent all this time, money and effort to make these gadgets completely stand alone, mobile systems. Now everyone is crawling all over each other for the option to physically touch them to stuff…

    -Suntan
  20. #80  
    Links or references please. I have not seen the cost per processor referenced anywhere nor validation that the MSM8255 has a smaller power draw than OMAP4440.


    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Necessary Performance: OMAP4440 = MSM8255 @ 1.4GHz
    Manufacturing Cost: MSM8255 @ 1.4GHz > OMAP4440
    Battery Life: MSM8255 @ 1.4 GHz > OMAP4440
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/warthogkernel

    Experimental warthog kernels for webOS devices. Patches such as Muffle System Logging, Max Blocker etc.

    Donations go towards further experimentation.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions