1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Sorry I haven't been posting a great deal of late..........

With Palm &/OR hp presenting many options so far the Pre3 and the VEER, I have decided to continue waiting and using my Centro....

My 2 year contract with V ended last Oct. I didn't jump on the Pre 2 bandwagon, b/c by the time my contract was up it was a lock that there would be newer phones in the offering.

I know that S has decided that it isn't going to handle upgrades in the same manner....which brings me to the following question:

Are there any 1 year deals anymore...for a while some of the cell companies were offering less of a phone subsidy if you took out a contract for one year instead of two....?

My Centro won't last forever, yet it is obvious that there will be other PDA/Smartphones from HP/Palm this year....

Therefore, I shall wait it out for as long as my Centro will take me and see what else Palm is offering....

Like many of you on this site, I had a number of Palm/Handspring phones before my centro... I had a Treo 300, 600 & 650...

Back in those days there was no subsidy on smart phones at all and we all had to shell out $500 plus for a new smart phone.

I would be willing to take a one year deal on a phone, with a smaller subsidy in order not to have deal with keeping my very trusty & extremely outdated Centro for 2 years!

What are your thoughts on this?

Take care, as always,

Jay

PS and OT...I saw The King's Speech and I loved it...I didn't have a stuttering problem...however my 1st spinal surgery was in my neck, as an anterior procedure...it was done from the from of my neck, just above my left clavical. I only have a scar that is less than an inch long, yet they were able to replace a spinal disc and removing a huge bone spur from the spine, all thru micro surgery.

It damaged my vocal cords and 20 years ago and still I have partial paralysis of my left vocal cord...it took years of speech therapy to overcome it.....I still often lose my voice when I get excited, as I forget that I have to push out much more air to speak, in order for the right vocal cord to go over further than it should and align with the left vocal cord...I still have watch my phrasing when have to speak a great deal in order not to lose my voice, I had to learn not to clear my throat, (doing so can lead to irreversible damage to your vocal cords), I also have to drink tones of water to compensate for the extra air that I have to force out to speak properly....

I can't begin to imagine the work one must do to overcome stuttering....I tip my hat to anyone who has to work so hard to overcome stuttering....

The irony for me is that I have the gift of gab and since I am 55 those of you who are about my age will understand the following:

When I was born, I cried so loudly that the OB/GYN said I must have been vaccinated with a phonograph needle, .....no truer words were ever spoken!

LOL! When there were still phonograph needles records (now aka vinyl) and for that matter phonographs
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    jay, I love your posts.

but if you are really that interested in a webos device, just go and get the pre 2. Sounds like you are one that stays with what works, so don't be afraid of the pre 2. Even though hp may be releasing more devices in the future, it may take a while for them to come to verizon.

but as you asked, yes, you can sign a one year contract, for about 250 for the phone with a one yr deal. I don't know if they will offer that instore or on the phone, but if you go to the vzw website, click on "2 yr contract", a drop down box will show with options for 2 yr contract, 1 yr contract, or without contract (at full price for over $400)

I think it's time to enjoy webOS.
  3.    #3  
    Hi, thanks for the info...I am not so sure that I want to stay with V in the 1st place...plus my old phone had died, that is why I had to get a Centro and couldn't wait for the Pre or Pre Plus...so I think I will wait a little longer, unless I have no choice and the Centro kicks off....

Thanks again, (go see the movie) & Take Care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    yup, VZW has 1 yr contract with Pre 2
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    How about one of the pixi deals that keep popping up?? I'm thinking I might get one for a back-up phone. Great deal for an off contract phone.
    I think the big carriers have announced that they will stop offering 1 year contracts. I still see them offered on the VZW website, but I'm sure they will disappear soon. The 1-year price is $70 more.
  7.    #7  
    Thank you all! I don't want a Pixi...it is too much like the Centro, that I have now....It is about time I had a far larger screen!

take care, Jay
    Compared to the Centro, the Pre2 is huge. If the Pre2 isn't big enough, start praying that VZW will offer the Pre3 soon enough for you.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Compared to the Centro, the Pre2 is huge. If the Pre2 isn't big enough, start praying that VZW will offer the Pre3 soon enough for you.
    Hi, I am so sorry, I didn't sleep well last nite and I already took an Ambien, so I am sure I haven't been as clear about this as I should have been.

The Pre2 screen is fine. It is the Pixi which I know is still around that I am not interested in, as it is basically the same small screen of the Centro.

As of now it is between, the Pre 2 or Pre 3, unless Palm AKA HP announces additional phones in the next few weeks or months.

I also have crossed off the VEER off my list for the same reason as the Pixi, & my current Centro, as the screen is much too small.

OK off to bed with me, I know it is only 8:15, but I am beat, plus the fact even on a good day, the Fibromyalgia wears me out early in the day.

Take care,

Jay

PS I hope this makes sense to all of you, if not we will blame it on 1/4 of an Ambien...if you ever used or saw how small an Ambient is, (about 1/2" long), when I had to cut them in 1/4's or I am zombie like, the following day. My late Dad, who was without a doubt the best father in the world, (as well as one of the funniest), as well as my best friend, said, if you attempt to cut that Ambien any smaller than in 1/4's it would be easier to smack it with a hammer and lick the dust of the plate.

Take care, be well, Jay
    Pre2 on VZW is available now. They said that the Pre3 is coming at the "end of summer" and they haven't announced a carrier yet. If you need something now, it sounds like the Pre2 will do the job. If you can wait and possibly have a choice... choice is a good thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I think the big carriers have announced that they will stop offering 1 year contracts. I still see them offered on the VZW website, but I'm sure they will disappear soon. The 1-year price is $70 more.
    It won't disappear. It might disappear online but stores will always be able to do 1 year contracts. Verizon actually recommends it for people that want to upgrade every year since they took away the annual upgrade.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by S.hasan546 View Post
    It won't disappear. It might disappear online but stores will always be able to do 1 year contracts. Verizon actually recommends it for people that want to upgrade every year since they took away the annual upgrade.
    Hi all,

I might do just what you stated, since it is obvious that there will be plenty of webOS phones coming out of the pipeline for the foreseeable future....

I would think that Sprint may have to offer a one year contract as well since they seem to have gotten rid of a form of upgrading they have....I expect the carriers will keep these types of contracts below the radar, since they really want to suck you into a 2 year contract.

Palm/HP stated there would be introduction of webOS products every few months for a while....my guess is that we will see several models of the TouchPad, possibly a smaller TouchPad/webOS phone, a slab phone and possibly a landscape keyboarded webOS phone or a webOS smartphone that will have a keyboard that will work both in landscape and portrait.

Plus I expect to see the HP printer that comes with a pad type device to be reworked for webOS, plus webOS netbooks, webOS running on tandem on a laptop with windows.....

HP has made no secret of the fact that both Palm and HP are working on devices with flexible roll up or folding screens. They were just award a contract to develop such a device for the US Army.....Plus there are already OLED screens that can be rolled up....

Take care all,

Jay