View Poll Results: Breaking contract for the Pre3?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, saying 'goodbye' to Sprint

16 18.18%
  • Yes, saying 'goodbye' to Verizon.

1 1.14%
  • Waiting until next device.

23 26.14%
  • Screw HP, Sprint rules.

14 15.91%
  • Android has asked me out so....

7 7.95%
  • I don't know. I'm depressed about the whole thing.

27 30.68%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    my contract is up in Jun.

with Sprint's new 22 mo phone upgrade policy, I might as well goto ATT, ATT may be somewhat stupid, but VZ is evil, I won't want to go close to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    but VZ is evil
    How so?

I’ve been a VZ customer for many years and I can still see my reflection in the mirror… What’s so evil about them?

More importantly, I can understand choosing one carrier over another because the contracts and features they offer are more aligned with your needs, but I don’t understand people’s hatred for one carrier or another. I mean, go to one forum or another and you will see different people idolizing every carrier (including VZW) while at the same time you can find people demonizing every carrier (including Sprint.)

What’s the deal?

-Suntan
  3.    #43  
    It's based on personal experiences. Sprint really has been nice to me, but I get no signal in my house or within a half a mile radius of my house. Even though on their coverage map I'm in a good signal spot.

My parents have had a falling out with AT&T with them adding on stuff every month like data packages when they never use the internet. To them, AT&T is evil, but to me it's really what gives me the best deal or the most reliable service.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    It absolutely comes down to a persons individual experience with carriers. I have been using my Pre2 with an AT&T sim card from my work, and I drop 1 out of every 3 calls. It is annoying as heck. I mean, how can a phone drop a call when it has 5 bars of signal? It would take a lot for me to personally sign a contract with them.

I really liked Sprint, and would love to come back if they carry the Pre3. They even let me cancel my contract without an ETF due to me being active duty military. They always did right by me, and my only complaint with them is they never picked up the pre+ and have not announced plans to carry any of the new hardware.
    I'm hoping the Pre 3 comes to Sprint so I don't have to make that decision, because I don't know of any other carrier where I'd have unlimited everything (including GPS/Nav, which I use almost daily) for around $58 a month.

Also, there's been a few times that I've used more than 6 or 7GB of data in a month (after a webOS Doctor, generally, from redownloading apps). Sprint's unlimited data is the only 'unlimited data' I know of that would be fine with this.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 02/22/2011 at 08:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    They didn't get the Evo, the Epic, the original Pre or quite a few others I could mention.

Sent from my eVo
    The Epic is a Galaxy S phone...AT&T got their own version (Captivate).
    It's based on personal experiences. Sprint really has been nice to me
    It absolutely comes down to a persons individual experience with carriers... ...I really liked Sprint, and would love to come back if they carry the Pre3.
    Well, yeah. It makes complete sense that a person would like to continue doing business with a company if they have had good experiences with them.

But how does that translate to “That other carrier is evil!” mentality. That’s the part that doesn’t make sense. Does anyone really believe that any of the major carriers have stayed in business by being “evil” to all their customers?

Personally, I hope the Pre3 is released on Verizon as soon as possible, but I don’t wish Sprint/ATT/Tmobile to die of gonorrhea and go straight to hell.

To anyone wishing Sprint’s competitors would go out of business, how long would you expect Sprint to continue being nice to you if it had no competition?

-Suntan
    Yeah...I don't really understand the "evil" comments. Overpriced? Definitely...but I suppose people are satisfied enough with them to happily pay out the wazoo.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    But how does that translate to “That other carrier is evil!” mentality. That’s the part that doesn’t make sense.
    I never said anything about evil. Sure I have my complaints about AT&T, but I don't believe they are evil. Some people just have a tendency to jump to extremes. I guess the thought process is
    Code:
    overpriced -> greed -> evil?
    Apple on the other hand... ...haha
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    Overpriced? Definitely...but I suppose people are satisfied enough with them to happily pay out the wazoo.
    I certainly don't want to get into a "whip'um out and compare" argument over which carrier is the best. Lord knows there's plenty of those everywhere as it is, and there are things about verizon I don't like too.

But these comments aren't much better. I mean, wouldn't you consider it "paying out the wazoo" if a person continued to pay for Sprint even if they didn't get very good coverage in a number of places they usually use their cell phone?

Yeah, yeah. Sprint jumps on verizon network when roaming. That wouldn't do a lot for me. At my house, friends get very spotty connection to Sprint's towers. Just enough to keep them from "roaming" to the verizon tower a mile down the road. The situation is better, but still similar at the office from informal conversations I've had with a couple of associates.

Lastly, maybe some of us have 20% Verizon plan discounts through work. Making their plans less expensive than Sprint, or any other carrier’s…

-Suntan
    Sprint would probably offer you a free Airave if you complained about the poor reception at your house. But if VZW is cheaper (that is rare) then no reason to leave.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zealster View Post
    reliability of AT&T's network
    "Visits? Well that would indicate visitors."
    "Future events such as these will affect you in the future."
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinfusor View Post
    Now I know every carrier lies about their coverage areas (including AT&T, when contrasting this map), but basically:

Sprint - Nationwide Coverage

vs.

AT&T Coverage Viewer

I mean, really.. Now I know AT&T has dropped call problems, but that's alot better than having drop call problems and then try to call again to find out you actually have no signal. At least on AT&T your dropped calls are just dropped calls in a service area.. Just my 2 cents, but to each his own.
    Quote Originally Posted by zealster View Post
    Now I know AT&T has dropped call problems, but that's alot better than having drop call problems and then try to call again to find out you actually have no signal. At least on AT&T your dropped calls are just dropped calls in a service area.. Just my 2 cents, but to each his own.
    Indeed, to each his own. I very seldom go to places that the major carriers don't have coverage in, so dropped calls are much more frustrating to me. And the poor sound quality, which is actually my biggest complaint with AT&T.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinfusor View Post
    Exactly my reaction when I saw "AT&T" and "reliable" in the OP.

As many level-headed posters have already pointed out, carrier experiences are going to vary from market to market. But I've used AT&T on and off in New England for the past two years, and the network experience has been atrocious compared to Sprint. Not to mention their ridiculous 2GB data plan.

So, would I switch to them if they were the exclusive carrier for the Pre3? Probably, because I love the Pre3. But I'd hate the experience.

Will I choose any other carrier if given the option? Absolutely.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    So, would I switch to them if they were the exclusive carrier for the Pre3? Probably, because I love the Pre3. But I'd hate the experience.

Will I choose any other carrier if given the option? Absolutely.
    My thoughts exactly.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    If sprint didn't change their premier program I'd be sticking around till summer. At this point all the sprint phones are crappy, there is nothing interesting coming out soon and at the end of March my upgrade credit disapeers. So now I'm in the situation of probably buying an Evo right at expiration, leaving it in the box and selling it on Ebay new to cover the line cancellation fees and then jumping ship to another carrier that has something more interesting. Perhaps if Sprint ever got 4G in San Diego that would help. I just got a verizon 4g usb modem and the thing gets like 32mb/s down and 7 up from my house. Now THAT is a network. The WiMax even up in Los Angeles is slow in comparison. Even att's HSPA+ is in general faster than the wimax. I hope they move to LTE soon and bump up the coverage and speeds to compete.
    Im jumping ship, thinking of ditching pre for blackberry if HP dosn't make web os 2 update for origional pre buyers
    Actually my contract has been up since April, so waiting around more isn't going to change much. Was going to get the Pre, then heard about EVO coming to Sprint. Wanted hotspot feature. Once EVO arrived, waited to find out reviews about it. By that time, Palm was over due to release update, so waited around for Pre+/?. And waited and waited. Saw devices disappearing with no new announcements. Then the strange French carrier leak. You know the rest of the sad strange story.
    I wouldn't break contract for any phone the fees are gigantic. I've been an AT&T, T-Mobile user and am a Verizon user currently. I never had any issues with AT&T though I was on there before smartphones came out. T-Mobile I found I had a bad signal. I'm intrigued by the Pre 3, but i'm sticking with my Pre Plus until i'm eligible for a new upgrade in January.

Whether or not I upgrade to a new WebOS device come January is going to depend very much on HP/Palm's future marketing and customer relations as I'm very dissatisfied with the handling of the 2.x upgrades and lack of communication, I'm hoping that this is something that they improve on in the coming months, otherwise i'd rather jump brand.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast