Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    I was first in line for the pre, sence sprint started promoing it etc I knew that WebOS was the best, and I belive it still is.

As many of you day 1 owners remeber there was a flurry of patches- many of them saw our card count grow from 3/4 to 6+ and our battery go from 4 hours to 8 hours +

Just looking at the hands on video's the Veer seems quite smooth, polished quick and responsive just like whats reported on the Pre2 with WebOS 2.X - it also uses a "older" or more "common" CPU etc- as the Pre2 does- is this why the Veer is out before the rest?

The Pre3 and ToutchPad in some of the videos looks noticeably "slower" or "jumpy" in moveing cards etc- they both use processors etc that are just released, and will be the first devices with them even considering "in the coming months"

Are we waiting on the optimization of webos to the hardware? I am sure the hardware is ready? New mr HP prez- crack the whip- this is all in your house it seems- get your boys optimizing (whatever that means, I am no programmer) release the Trio at the end of March on every friggen carrier that you can- YOU HP Fainfair your products - dont rely on the carriers!

So, is this what we are waiting on? what equates to proper driver programming for the hardware they have chosen?

Anywho... eagerly awating a Pre3 to replace my work horse Pre1 @ 1ghz!
    They are building WebOS 3.0 from scratch.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Well, considering that the new framework is still in alpha ...
    so the question to some of our programmers on here, does it take this long to optimize a OS like Webos? Assuming they started months back on lets say webos 2.0?
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    The pre3 uses webos 2 (new version of it). My guess would be it wasn't fully gpu accelerated at the event while the Veer was (probably as the Veer will launch first). Also, the Veer hardware had FCC stuff on it at the event, so that means it was final hardware. Pre3/tablet were probably still prototypes
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    The pre3 uses webos 2 (new version of it). My guess would be it wasn't fully gpu accelerated at the event while the Veer was (probably as the Veer will launch first). Also, the Veer hardware had FCC stuff on it at the event, so that means it was final hardware. Pre3/tablet were probably still prototypes

right true good point, so my question is why make sure a lesser version is ready before a stronger version in the Pre3? Especially since even the Veer still didnt have carrier info, or prices yet so it meant they didnt have a lock down on where it was goin yet either.
    I thought both the Pre 3 and Veer were running the same version of webOS at the 2/9 event?
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I thought both the Pre 3 and Veer were running the same version of webOS at the 2/9 event?
    thats what my understanding was too. So thats the issue im having as if the Veer, and the Pre 3 essentially are running the same version of webos, why put the Pre 3 for a summer launch, and the Veer as a sprint launch?
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Probably hardware related - doesn't the veer use the pixi screen?
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Maybe because the pre 3 is a bit crippled without enyo support? Does mojo scale well from 400x300 to 800x480?
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    indeed, is the pre3 meant to be on webos3? I thought 3 was tablets and 2.x was phones and handhelds.

so yes, if the pre3 and pad are meant to be both os3 I fully understand how their hardware optimization is not complete.

I first watched the veer hands on and was in wow over how smooth clean and quick the little guy was. Then I saw the pre3 and was like..unmm really? Almost doubble the cpu, what the resoution slowing it down lol.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    pre3 will ship with 2.x and then move to 3.x afterwards, as 3.x will with enyo support multiple resolutions.

I wouldn't worry about the pre3 demos being slow, there are a work in progress.
    the pre 3 wasn't running the same version of webos as the veer. Pre 3 was running hp webos nova barley or whatever its called. I saw it with my own eyes when I went into device info. When I did that the phone was ripped from my hand and I was told I wasn't supposed to be looking in there by the hp girl
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    so the question to some of our programmers on here, does it take this long to optimize a OS like Webos? Assuming they started months back on lets say webos 2.0?
    I think the problem is they were trying to optimize it for lower hardware and powerful hardware. Making it work on not so powerful hardware means scratching eye candy and features and optimizing it for more powerful hardware mean making sure it can USE the power it has. And the Veer IS using a Snapdragon processor, so SOME of the work has to be done. But we won't ever really know to this question ...
    Quote Originally Posted by djfu3l3r View Post
    the pre 3 wasn't running the same version of webos as the veer. Pre 3 was running hp webos nova barley or whatever its called. I saw it with my own eyes when I went into device info. When I did that the phone was ripped from my hand and I was told I wasn't supposed to be looking in there by the hp girl
    You should have told her to look in the mirror on the back while you worked (still mad about the girl Derick got the demo from)
    Last edited by Titan078; 02/19/2011 at 12:46 AM.