Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    While the Pre 3 looks enticing, I'm worried about how usable it would be foe one-handed typing. I currently hae a Pixi Plus and I can easily hold it in one hand and type with my thumb.

The Pre 3 is the same length closed but of course will be longer open for the keyboard. Seems like it would be too top heavy to hold and type with one hand.

Are current Pre users able to use their devise comfortably one-handed?
    Quote Originally Posted by klynngullo View Post
    Are current Pre users able to use their devise comfortably one-handed?
    Yes.

This is one of the reasons I love the form factor of the Pre. I can slide it open and just type with one hand while I am standing on the bus, or carrying something or whatever. I don't think the extra .5" of screen space will alter that ability, but maybe someone who has actually touched a Pre3 will be able to attest?

nnb
    You can also install the virtural keyboard on it which looks easy to type on.
    I am actually hoping it will have the Talk to Text feature it was reportedly getting a long time ago. I have been using it on my Epic (dont flame i had to get something as i dropped my Pre way to many times) and do like the feature quite a bit.

it will be even better if you can communicate with your phone via BlueTooth head set using the same feature.
    Pre be with you.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. -- Winston Churchill

Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities. -- Aldous Huxley
    I can type one handed on the Pre very easily. I did try this on the Pre 3 and was surprised that I could do it as easily as I experienced as the phone is well balanced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard Jr View Post
    I am actually hoping it will have the Talk to Text feature it was reportedly getting a long time ago. I have been using it on my Epic (dont flame i had to get something as i dropped my Pre way to many times) and do like the feature quite a bit.

it will be even better if you can communicate with your phone via BlueTooth head set using the same feature.
    No Flames from me.

I loved being able to talk into my Epic. Really comes in handy when I can't type at that moment. I think if the Pre gets this ability it will be awesome.

nnb
    One handed typing is very easy on my Pre Plus and slightly heavier Pre 2. In fact, using the phone for anything with the keyboard and touchscreen is easy with one hand. I imagine the P3 would be harder to use the screen one handed but the keyboard should be just fine with one hand.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre 2 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I can type one handed on the Pre very easily. I did try this on the Pre 3 and was surprised that I could do it as easily as I experienced as the phone is well balanced.
    Glad to hear it. One handed typing is the reason why I'll never buy a landscape keyboard, just don't understand the love behind that thing. I too was worried about the Pre 3 being bigger and harder for that reason, but it sounds like it's not that bad.
    Another reason I prefer the Pre form factor is it allows this pretty well. Haven't tried it on virtual keyboards to compare.
    I find one hand typing on the Pre2 a little more difficult than the Centro which was my last phone. The balance could be a little better. Hopefully they shift some of the mass to the keyboard end to balance it better in the Pre3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercury+fly View Post
    I find one hand typing on the Pre2 a little more difficult than the Centro which was my last phone. The balance could be a little better. Hopefully they shift some of the mass to the keyboard end to balance it better in the Pre3.
    yes the balance should be better more towards the bottom of my hand when opened not so top heavy (for obvious reasons)
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
    the keyboard size and balance is a lot like my old blackberry curve. Onehanded typing was excellent, and IMHO easier than the Pre
    I would say it really boils down to the size of the hand of the person typing one handed: small hands = somewhat difficult, harder to balance the device in the hand; large hands = easy to hold and balance the device while typing.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    it's easy to type one handed..
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    I would say it really boils down to the size of the hand of the person typing one handed: small hands = somewhat difficult, harder to balance the device in the hand; large hands = easy to hold and balance the device while typing.
    That's why I used the BB Curve reference. Basically the same size and feel. Similar to the Treo 755.

If you can type one-handed on those, the Pre3 is awesome.

I actually think Palm did some usability research that resulted in the 3.6 inch screen instead of the iPhone's 3.8, but thatls a guess.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I actually think Palm did some usability research that resulted in the 3.6 inch screen instead of the iPhone's 3.8, but thatls a guess.
    I thought iPhone was 3.5"?

Regardless, I'm still a little miffed that the screen is just a hair wider, but much taller. I'd have preferred 2 hairs wider and not as much taller.

Would have allowed the keyboard to be an extra hair wider too.

Also, if they had kept the same aspect ratio, SDK and PDK apps could predictably scale. I'm not sure what is going to happen as it is now.
    It may be easy on the pre series, but it still doesn't beat the Treo series.
    Oh well, those days are gone.
    I am anxious to see how the Pre3 does,
    but I still prefer no moving parts.