Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    let me also add that once you try the pre3 you won't be wondering why it isn't faster. It's fast, snappy, smooth, and did I mention it's really fast?

I'm more concerned about battery lfe because it's already really fast.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Would there be any advantages to underclocking it if possible? Maybe to 1ghz or 1.2ghz?

I used the evo shift which has a 800mhz processor and I thought that was insanely fast, so I would think 1.4Ghz and webos 2.x would be overkill unless you are gaming. I wouldn't mind waiting another couple of seconds for an app to load to save on the battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by dex4 View Post
    You lost me. How is the TI OMAP chip similar to the Qualcomm MSM?
    You missed the point.

The point I was making is that the processor in the Pre2 (TI OMAP 3630) only publicly has a 720MHz clock speed, yet the manufacturer (TI) set the clock speed of the Pre2's processor at 280MHz higher than that. It is because the processors used in the Pre2 CAN run at that speed.

Same with the Pre3's processor. While they only heavily advertise the 1GHz clock speed, there are some of the processors capable of running at 1.4GHz and those are the ones HP bought for the Pre3.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    Here the benchmark between Adreno 205 vs PowerVR SGX540
    3DMarkMobile GPU showdown: Adreno 205 vs PowerVR SGX540 Android and Me

Xperia Play using same GPU with Pre 3 & Veer.. so seems gaming experience on both HP new phone should be great
    It really isn't a "great" GPU by any stretch of the imagination, but it'll be interesting to see how well developers take advantage of it. The special part of the Xperia Play is that in order to be on the PlayStation store, games have to be specifically optimized for that phone and run at 60fps. Clearly HP isn't going to set tight rules on games for WebOS since right now, most game developers don't even see a value in porting over to this OS. It's one of the things that bums me out about WebOS. I'd like to see a lot more gaming support than what we've gotten. I can't lie, I love WebOS, but even I am debating getting the Xperia Play because it's a gamers dream phone.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I'm just glad to see that the Adreno 205 is better than the 200. The performance of the 200 gpu is horrible. But based on that link it would appear that the 205 will outperform hummingbird. Works for me. Bring on the Pre3.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Sprint Palm Pre
    Sprint Palm Pixi
    Ok so here is a question:

I have been very VERY disaapointed with Qualcomm's GPU power. Look at HTC devices. Completely horrible and laggy for a GPU. My question is: does clock speed actually affect the GPU performance??? If so, would it be safe to assume that the Pre 3 will have better graphics performance than the HTC Evo Shift, which also runs 205? I hope so. I love to play the newest games, and Qualcomm has never been able to handle it. That's why a few months back I traded in my Evo to get an Epic. Evo had Adreno 200. SUCKED.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunar View Post
    I'm just glad to see that the Adreno 205 is better than the 200. The performance of the 200 gpu is horrible. But based on that link it would appear that the 205 will outperform hummingbird. Works for me. Bring on the Pre3.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    205 does NOT outperform hummingbird. I have tested this. If you want further proof, look on youtube at Evo Shift 4G benchmark vs. Epic 4G. MOre proof? Notice that the ONLY devices that can handle Android's only Unreal game are:

Galaxy S Devices, Tegra 2 Devices and OMAP 4 devices. (NO qualcomm anywhere)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12