Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    No sprint, no verizon, and no AT&T? Is hp waiting till the last possible moment to get customers? I mean it seems like we are always waiting and rarely recieving.
    pre 2 debuted on verizon today so I would expect a discrete waiting period, (maybe to early April?) before pre3 carrier announced. Veer should be sooner as release is in spring.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Didn't they announce the pre 2 like in October or november? And it just now released on verizon as promised months ago? That's what I mean, they build some hype and it all slowly dies as people get over it or get hyped over a iPhone 5/droid 3 announcement. I just don't want them to drop the ball and not capitalize. I mean if the phone looks ready and runs smoothly why not release in a month or two?
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    It's pretty poor when you consider that phones were announced at MWC with dates and carriers explicit and upfront.

If you look at how this is handled, I'd guess they have no carriers at the moment. The Verizon CTO was pretty clear that RIM, Android, Apple were the big three for them, the Sprint CEO has made it clear that Android is where they think the game is going to be at for 2011.

I'm sure that the Pre3 will appear on a network but I don't see it getting a particularly big push.
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    As much as I like my Pre+ and really like the Pixi+ I just picked up off contract, I'm really looking forward to the Pre3. If they would just announce the carriers then I would know if I should squash the anticipation or not, because I won't be leaving Verizon. I hate waiting!!
    my guess is that the carriers are not really interested too much about the new webos phones. at&t has the atrix, sprint has evo, verizon has iphone, t mobile has the mytouch.
    Quote Originally Posted by c_legaspi View Post
    my guess is that the carriers are not really interested too much about the new webos phones. at&t has the atrix, sprint has evo, verizon has iphone, t mobile has the mytouch.
    Good thing that's just a guess . The pre3 is coming to sprint . I got good word that they will carry at least the pre3 . Barring any glitches in testing or unforseen issues . Just saying . Sprint has already said they are working closely with HP .

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    HP really dropped the ball on this. There are many who won't update to new HP hardware because of upgrade changes on Sprint. I have until 03/31/11 .
    Quote Originally Posted by xylos555 View Post
    HP really dropped the ball on this. There are many who won't update to new HP hardware because of upgrade changes on Sprint. I have until 03/31/11 .
    For the same or better service on any other provider sprint is still at least 20$ cheaper or more than any of them . Just sayin !!

ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    Good thing that's just a guess . The pre3 is coming to sprint . I got good word that they will carry at least the pre3 . Barring any glitches in testing or unforseen issues . Just saying . Sprint has already said they are working closely with HP .

good on sprint and its customers.... i for one also hope that it comes to at&t but i wont hold my breath on that
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    It's pretty poor when you consider that phones were announced at MWC with dates and carriers explicit and upfront.

If you look at how this is handled, I'd guess they have no carriers at the moment. The Verizon CTO was pretty clear that RIM, Android, Apple were the big three for them, the Sprint CEO has made it clear that Android is where they think the game is going to be at for 2011.

I'm sure that the Pre3 will appear on a network but I don't see it getting a particularly big push.
    Thats true most phones are announced with carrier support. Even the Pre 2 was announced with carrier support. And the Veer -- although not announced for ATT it being a GSM phone is probably a ATT phone. The Pre 3 is a GSM phone and a EVDO Rev b (I can't remember the rev). To me, it sounds like HP didn't want people mad that Sprint is not getting the Pre 3. They wanted customers to want the new devices and tell us later the bad news.

I still think Sprint is getting a new WebOS phone -- just one not announced. Sprint went down the road with the Pre name and I don't think they want to do that again. So we shall see what Sprint gets hopefully soon enough!
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I think due to lack of carrier interest that WebOS on phones is pretty much done, look for HP to exit the phone market in the first part of 2012.
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post

I still think Sprint is getting a new WebOS phone -- just one not announced. Sprint went down the road with the Pre name and I don't think they want to do that again. So we shall see what Sprint gets hopefully soon enough!
    From what we can gather, the Pre was a dud in sales and a nightmare for replacements. I would guess that Sprint is using that to play hardball - Sprint is committed to a certain direction in 2011 (based around the 'big three'), maybe they think it's simply too much of a headache to add another OS to the mix?

I wouldn't be surprised if, as suggested, above you don't see any real traction until 2012.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    From what we can gather, the Pre was a dud in sales and a nightmare for replacements. I would guess that Sprint is using that to play hardball - Sprint is committed to a certain direction in 2011 (based around the 'big three'), maybe they think it's simply too much of a headache to add another OS to the mix?

I wouldn't be surprised if, as suggested, above you don't see any real traction until 2012.

"once bitten, twice shy"..... could very well be sprint's motto.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post

I stopped last evening at a Corp Sprint store and was told by a long term Sprint Manager that they were getting the Pre2 soon and the Pre3 in June.

We also talked about the Sprints possible change from WiMax to LTE. He said its happening. They will have better Spectrum coverage on a wider band at a much lower expense. So maybe Sprint not making a decision as to Wimax roll-out vs LTE is part of the delay on carrier announcement. Build specs need to be ironed out for each carrier??

I'm sure there are many reasons why things are playing out as they are, as ugly as it may be currently, shortly we will know more. And it won't be in the coming months IMHO.

Agreed. If Sony Ericsson - the kings of the Eurocentric, eternally delayed handsets - can announce a new phone with on Verizon within 60 days, yet HP/Palm can't with their new devices....I just don't see things popping off much this year.

I guess that's why they spent 80 percent of the presentation on the TouchPad. It's their best shot for mindshare and developer interest, ATM. The phones are like....whatever.
    i'll chime in and echo the sentiments of some members here at p|c:

don't think carriers are seriously interested in carrying a webos product - certainly not one with the name pre something.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Sprint needs a new flagship device. EVO is coming on one year.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I think you are correct. The fact that they just now released a pre 2 on verizon is concerning. plus the fact that they have not announced any carriers for the new products means they have no fully committed carriers.

This is not apple where they have the luxury of "surprising" people with a release on a new carrier. HPalm is light years behind in terms of market share. They can't afford to be hiding anything like this, so if they had carriers lined up they certainly should be announcing it.

of course, seeing the moronic decisions they've been making recently, i wouldn't put anything past them.
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    Sprint needs a new flagship device. EVO is coming on one year.
    Sprint will attend to that riiiight around March 22nd or so.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast