Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    I thought this was interesting. If Verizon doesn't need Nokia and the CTO is openly saying so, what does that say about webOS & HP? Who isn't even mentioned. It's obvious Verizon blew off Palm the first time around and I'm guessing they're going to pass on the Pre3 too. HP has the resources to push webOS, but it seems Verizon isn't convinced.

Courting the largest carrier in the United States is probably at the top of any phone manufacturer's to-do list, and it's starting to sound like Nokia -- on the strength of its just-announced Windows Phone gamble -- has an uphill battle ahead of it. Verizon CEO Tony Melone has gone on record out at Mobile World Congress this week saying that he's skeptical Micosoft has the capability to meet its lofty volume goals for Windows Phone -- a little odd, considering that Verizon is on the verge of launching its first Windows Phone 7 model -- and that he doesn't think "Verizon needs the Nokia and Microsoft relationship." Referring seemingly directly to Nokia CEO Stephen Elop's desire to make the smartphone war a "three-horse race" between Android, iOS, and Windows Phone, Melone says he thinks that "right now the three OS players we see for our network are Android, Apple, and RIM." Of course, just like the iPhone, we're sure Melone's attitude could change in a snap if Windows Phone picks up enough steam -- but even in the best case, that's going to take a while.

Here's the engadget link:
    Verizon CTO: we don't 'need' the Nokia-Microsoft partnership; Android, iOS, and BlackBerry are the big three platforms -- Engadget
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    So that is that a five horse race?
    One horse, 5 legs.

ET
    Don't discount any carrier to cave to the forces of money offered by a manufacturer. If HP really wanted to they could "make" Verizon and Sprint carry their devices. If HP basically said we will give the phones free to your customers, provide support and warranty services, and give every one of your employees a case of beer -- which carrier would say no to that deal?

I don't think HP has inked out these deals yet, but I would be they are in the works (probably minus the free beer though :-( ).
    not sure that VZ blew off Palm at all. They carried the pre plus Q1 2010, and they are the only one carring the Pre 2 so im not sure where they blew off Palm at? Also Webos isnt goin to be mentioned until they get back out in the market with something new and official.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Don't discount any carrier to cave to the forces of money offered by a manufacturer. If HP really wanted to they could "make" Verizon and Sprint carry their devices. If HP basically said we will give the phones free to your customers, provide support and warranty services, and give every one of your employees a case of beer -- which carrier would say no to that deal?

I don't think HP has inked out these deals yet, but I would be they are in the works (probably minus the free beer though :-( ).
    Ok, but meanwhile, back at the Reality ranch (no offense intended), how does this help WebOS or Verizon? A healthy platform needs people excited about devices and willing to spend money on the developers and/or LOTS of ad revenue coming in to them to keep things vibrant. And the carrier needs people willing to spend money on data plans, VZ Navigator, etc. That's not going to happen if Verizon keeps a "Take One: Free" wooden barrel full of Palm Pre 3 devices by the door for anyone who comes straggling in.

Again, if it was a matter of money, I assure you Microsoft and/or Nokia would've paid off US carriers in a similar fashion by now to carry their stuff. Whatever short term benefit they get is dwarfed by the long term crippling effects of amassing a userbase who only took your stuff because it was free.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    not sure that VZ blew off Palm at all. They carried the pre plus Q1 2010, and they are the only one carring the Pre 2 so im not sure where they blew off Palm at? Also Webos isnt goin to be mentioned until they get back out in the market with something new and official.
    The Palm Pre 2 isn't both of those? Verizon has it virtually hidden away from their customers' view.
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    Not a hate parade, but talk of potential tomorrow and the way they treat HP today with the Palm Pre 2 are two veeeeeery different things.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    That's a bit naughty how they take that out of context, what he actually says is:

“If HP decides to license webOS that could also become a third or fourth player that is used by OEMs. I'm more optimistic with webOS developing into a strong player, just based on the strength of the OS. It has some very unique and good characteristics."
    You can't post that. Thats a positive post.

ET

<obvious sarcasm>
    yeah even this doesnt do much for me. Even though to me they have still carried Webos devices, they dont hold them in any regards at all. To me they never will unless their next big device is some sort of hit and brings in some solid sales. Since seeing how they did the Pre plus in support wise, I dont think we can call VZ a strong supporter of Webos right now, its more of a charity act.
    funny how a noticable seemingly non supportive VZ, is the only one out of the 3 carriers currently offering a newer version of our beloved Webos.
    Verizon has never been a fan of WebOS. I'm still surprised that they ever carried any of the devices. Now that they have their iphone, it doesn't really matter.

WebOS potential for tomorrow, yes. Does that do anything for anyone today, no but that's just the way it currently is.

It's just the way he sees it right now. He's not that off (Although, I would have chosen WM7 rather than RIM but Im assuming he has figures that back his claim).

WebOS is not a big player right now. They're still trying to catch up and hopefully HP will continue to push it the correct, marketable way.

Big Three: Android, IOS, RIM.

Nothing new here.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Verizon has never been a fan of WebOS. I'm still surprised that they ever carried any of the devices. Now that they have their iphone, it doesn't really matter.

WebOS potential for tomorrow, yes. Does that do anything for anyone today, no but that's just the way it currently is.

It's just the way he sees it right now. He's not that off (Although, I would have chosen WM7 rather than RIM but Im assuming he has figures that back his claim).

WebOS is not a big player right now. They're still trying to catch up and hopefully HP will continue to push it the correct, marketable way.

Big Three: Android, IOS, RIM.

Nothing new here.
    Well that the thing isn't it - he's got very hard data of the sort we don't have access to forming his thinking. Having said that, often there are wheels within wheels and his statements might have other meanings meant for other people that we simply don't get the nuance of.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    That's a stretch...
    As for HP webOS, Melone sees plenty of potential there: “If HP decides to license webOS that could also become a third or fourth player that is used by OEMs.