Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    It's my opnion that in order to compete with the obvious leaders ios/android, the new HP phones need to meet or exceed all current features and innovations. Well, the gryoscope in the iphone4 and in most newer Android phones is simply put, amazing. It aids in gaming with up to 6 axis control schemes,but most of all the coming augmented reality apps I've seen are down right like magic...

Yes, the new Pre3 and Veer have a compass, but its the compass/gyroscope combo that makes a big difference in accuracy...

watch this video with a augmented reality app with
    iphone3 (compass only) vs iphone4 (compass+gyroscope)

Last edited by migs; 02/14/2011 at 03:26 PM.
    Was it the touchpad that had a gyro? Something did. Gyroscope isnt necessary for me but their next phone will might have it....I dont expect HP to wait a whole year to announce devices like iOS.

Gyroscope is cool, but in reality...it is like most things, just marketing material.

I base my decision largely on the OS, and webOS is just the best out there.
    Only the touchpad has the gyroscope. I don't really understand the purpose, but it has to do with gaming. Something about more defined axis or granular control. I just shook my head as if I knew what he was talking about and changed the subject.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Its goes deeper than just gaming, I can only imagine the apps that they can come up with when you have control of pitch,roll,yaw and incredibly, rotation around gravity...ground breaking.

watch this
    Quote Originally Posted by migs View Post
    Its goes deeper than just gaming, I can only imagine the apps that they can come up with when you have control of pitch,roll,yaw and incredibly, rotation around gravity...ground breaking.

watch this
    Pretty sure he's just making up words there... Pitch? Roll? Yaw? Come on... if you are going to make things up at least try to sound realistic.

;-)
    I agree. I thought apps like layar needed a gyro to function. I really do think an app like that is great. Yeah, I can google nearby places, but if not from there to know where stuffs at, wouldn't it be easier to just hold up my phone and look around?
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dingwall1 View Post
    I agree. I thought apps like layar needed a gyro to function. I really do think an app like that is great. Yeah, I can google nearby places, but if not from there to know where stuffs at, wouldn't it be easier to just hold up my phone and look around?

Well, hopefully HP still has time to incorperate a gyroscope in the final production units, before HP/Palm loses on innovation again!
    what does a gyroscope do that an accelerometer can't. Is it just more precise?
    I'm not sure, I've heard they are nice to have, but that an accelerator/compass combo can do basically the same thing as a gyroscope. I think a gyroscope is more accurate though. Seems I read something about how a accelerator/compass was a little more jerky at augmented reality stuff.

EDIT: I believe a gyroscope tells you what position the phone is in and, if needed, an app has to calculate how fast it was moved. An Accelerometer tells you how fast it was moved and, if needed, an app has to calculate what position it is in whith a little help from compass. Could be way of base here though.
    Last edited by sinime; 02/14/2011 at 04:20 PM.
    $

People are ready to lay out serious cash for iPhones and the big Android phones but there is an established market - so they can afford to add features and get people to pay more. The webOS phones have some convincing to do and augmented reality is not high on the list of must haves for most people - if they add it later - great. But today's market doesn't demand it - it's a nice to have.
    I would say that the veer just does not have room, but the Pre3 leaves me puzzled. My guess is that they are focusing on Enterprise with the Pre3 not gaming. If i was them i would go Enterprise with the Pre3 (keyboard/palms roots/Hp's Strength) and then follow up with a slate phone for gaming and a Small tablet for gaming(think Ipod touch).

That being said I was blindsided by the veer so who knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by runukraine View Post
    Pretty sure he's just making up words there... Pitch? Roll? Yaw? Come on... if you are going to make things up at least try to sound realistic.

;-)
    A gyroscope flywheel will roll or resist about the output axis depending upon whether the output gimbals are of a free- or fixed- configuration. Examples of some free-output-gimbal devices would be the attitude reference gyroscopes used to sense or measure the pitch, roll and yaw attitude angles in a spacecraft or aircraft.
    Gyroscope - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, there are some really great apps that are only possible due to the Gyroscope:

There are a lot more, but those are two off the top of my head.
    Quote Originally Posted by dingwall1 View Post
    No so much. Have it on the EVO and the only time I ever use it is when I'm trying to show off stuff the phone can do. Actually standing there with my phone up in the air looking around makes me feel like a dork. Might as well be wearing 3D glasses too.

Same with video chat; I don't even like to talk on the phone, much less have somebody looking at me while I'm doing it. And HDMI out too; hook my phone up to my TV to watch something? Only if I'm trying to show off.

Don't get me wrong, it's neat stuff and will probably help them sell more phones, but I'd rather have them focus on stuff that I'll actually use in a practical way and not just throw in a bunch of junk just because other people have got it.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    A gyroscope flywheel will roll or resist about the output axis depending upon whether the output gimbals are of a free- or fixed- configuration. Examples of some free-output-gimbal devices would be the attitude reference gyroscopes used to sense or measure the pitch, roll and yaw attitude angles in a spacecraft or aircraft.

Also, there are some really great apps that are only possible due to the Gyroscope:

There are a lot more, but those are two off the top of my head.
    Haha Baited
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    I really hope it's still possible for HP to add a gyroscope in the final build...
    Global Posts
    715 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by migs View Post
    I really hope it's still possible for HP to add a gyroscope in the final build...
    Highly Unlikely !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    The iPhone uses a MEMS gyro, not a spinning-mass gyro.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    Gyroscopes, becuase of how they work, provide physical "force-feedback" to the user based on their physical manipulation of the device, when using it in a gyroscope-enabled app.

If you've ever helda spinning gyroscope, and tried to twist it on its access, you'd understand this concept... its away to provide more "reality" to an application/game. Flight simulators can help the user "feel" drag and centrifugal force by activating it, for example.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Laser gyros do not do this. They work on interference of two light beams. And a MEMS gyro will not provide enough feedback to the user of a tablet or phone to notice.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Well I guess if we really need a gyroscope app in webos, the only consolation is the touchpad definatley has one...guess HP figured the phones don't need it...?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast