Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    The gyro is completely irrelevant for mainstream Pre3 sales. I'll use the fact that most posts in this thread are inaccurate as to how gyros are used, and what apps they enable or improve is proof enough to me that gyros are not a big deal, even in the enthusiast world. People that would make a decision based on a tech spec like a gyro are going to be intent on buying an Android device anyway because the buyer is more concerned about specifications than functionality and user experience. Such a buyer won't even make up 10% of the entire smart phone market.
    A gyroscope is simply 2 accelerometers at a slightly different locations therefore giving data rate of change of positions and tilt angles over time. Coupled with a compass and an accurate clock you get an independent navigation systems.
    I would take a six axis gyroscope over 2 or 4 axis one
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaneophyte View Post
    A gyroscope is simply 2 accelerometers at a slightly different locations therefore giving data rate of change of positions and tilt angles over time. Coupled with a compass and an accurate clock you get an independent navigation systems.
    no its a micromachined vibrating mass(mems). Yes coupled with accelerometers it can be used for navigation. The compass can be added to the mix too, although its often biased by local field disruptions.

6 axis = accX,accY,accZ + rotX,rotY,rotZ

The real reason for the gyro is to determine the device orientation faster when the device it moving. Imagine running with a glass of water and trying to work out down from the sloshing liquid.
    Quote Originally Posted by runukraine View Post
    Pretty sure he's just making up words there... Pitch? Roll? Yaw? Come on... if you are going to make things up at least try to sound realistic.

;-)
    really hope your joking :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    I would say that the veer just does not have room, but the Pre3 leaves me puzzled. My guess is that they are focusing on Enterprise with the Pre3 not gaming. If i was them i would go Enterprise with the Pre3 (keyboard/palms roots/Hp's Strength) and then follow up with a slate phone for gaming and a Small tablet for gaming(think Ipod touch).

That being said I was blindsided by the veer so who knows.
    Well with Rovio's (and likely others) recent announcement that they are no longer doing updates to Angry Birds because of firmware issues with the Pixi and Original Pre, it would bode well for HP to continue to carry the gaming market. I don't think it will be exclusive anyway. PCs are business machines, not gaming consoles. They just happen to do a good job at being able to also play games, and have always been such.

See Below:

"Rovio Contact, May-26 13:56 (EEST):

Hello,

and thanks for contacting us.

The situation is that both Palm Pixi and Palm Pre devices have firmware issues which prevent latest versions of Angry Birds running properly.

Unfortunately we have had to conclude not to support Palm Pixi and Palm Pre 1 anymore. There will be no more updates for those devices.

The good thing is that when Palm is starting to roll out new devices, we will be able to support them all. We are also able to support Palm Pre 2 but the updates will take some more time to be released due to the devices firmware reasons.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Best regards,

Nina
    Angry Birds Team"
    the cool app on my friends iphone is where he can point his phone in a direction and it overlays restaurants and such as he just rotates his phone around 360. Is that a compass or gyroscope? The accelometer in the pre gives you a heading but only if you're moving.
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    That is the thing in the video above where they show the difference the gyro makes. it just updates faster and is more accurate. But it can still work without it.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234