Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Source article for what? That the Veer is tiny? Sorry man, totally unfounded speculation on my part there. Thing is a *brick*.

As for the Pre 3 being focussed on business users, rewatch the Think Beyond event and you'll find that Jon says a bunch times that it's a device for professionals who need to do work on the go and still want to have fun every now and then.

If you google 'HP TouchPad' and, possibly, 'specs', you'll see that it does indeed have a gyroscope. Which makes sense because it's very much a "recreational" device.

As for what the speculative slab phone will have, your guess is as good as mine - and yes, I'm only guessing and in no way breaking any NDAs >_>

I'd say it's a fairly good bet that HP's "all play, for realz yo" phone will have stuff that the Pre 3, their "all work, all play" phone, doesn't and frankly doesn't need. I know that I'll pick the gyro-less but keyboard-packing Pre 3 over the larger, thinner, gyro-packing, better-specced and (tragically or happily, depending on your point of view) keyboard-less Myte any day of the week, precisely because of that sweet, sweet keyboard on one side and lack thereof on the other.

The TouchPad "needs" a gyroscope to be able to run all your various games and fun apps that could use it. Likewise, the big slab aimed at people who are mainly content consumers will "need" a gyroscope for the same reasons.

The Pre 3, aimed at professionals who NEED to have a reliable keyboard and simply WANT to play Angry Birds on their bus ride home, doesn't require such shenanigans.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Funny, because Apple has done the exact opposite. The iPhone4 got the gyro first and now that more apps are taking advantage of the gyro capabilities, the next iPad will now get one.... that forward thinking imo

Rumor: iPad 2 Will Get Gyro
    Indeed - but my point isn't that a phone doesn't need a gyro, just that the Pre 3 and Veer are targeted at demographics who don't put gaming and fun apps at the top of their smartphone priorities list (not to judge those who do). If I had to bet, I'd bet that you'll see more casual, shall we say "media-centric" webOS phones soon, and that they'll have a gyroscope.

Meanwhile, tablets like the TouchPad are inherently "casual" and need accessories to make them remotely "useful" or productive in the first place, i.e. Bluetooth keyboards, making a feature like a Gyroscope desirable to its owners.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I say H/P should cater to all categories and include a gyroscope in pre-3 for people who want one.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    I say H/P should cater to all categories and include a gyroscope in pre-3 for people who want one.
    How hard can it be for them to just add a gyroscope before they release it?
    Even for a late summer release doing a redesign and rerun for manufacturing? Setting up a gyroscope in the device would take a lot of work and possibly require a large redesign of the circuit board at minimum.
    Quote Originally Posted by migs View Post
    How hard can it be for them to just add a gyroscope before they release it?
    Probably very hard now, unless there's a pin compatible replacement 6axis chip.

I say add the hardware and activate it later
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Even for a late summer release doing a redesign and rerun for manufacturing? Setting up a gyroscope in the device would take a lot of work and possibly require a large redesign of the circuit board at minimum.
    Well mark my words... soon developers that port games or apps from iPhone4or Android will have to explain to Pre3 owners why the apps are not as precise/accurate as thiers
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    This article makes the no gyroscope on Pre3 even more painful Developers making games with gyroscope in mind(bad move HP) Android Gaming Has Finally Arrived - PCWorld
    Quote Originally Posted by migs View Post
    Well mark my words... soon developers that port games or apps from iPhone4or Android will have to explain to Pre3 owners why the apps are not as precise/accurate as thiers
    This is one thing that upsets me about the lack of gyro. Also, HP is selling a 'unified experience' with Enyo doing the heavy lifting of making apps compatible across phones and tablet. How different will my experience be within an app that uses the gyro? How is that unified?
    well, they are promoting the Pre3 as a business device...

in all seriousness, my Sony Camera has a gyroscope in it. It basically helps with keeping the camera still (with up and down movement) and it auto adjusts to the amount of movement. Comes in handy while driving, walking and taking film etc...
    Can I play the Game? Yes! Who cares about a gryoscope,,,, Really gyro what? piontless right now. So what iOS has it!
    Quote Originally Posted by markawashington View Post
    Can I play the Game? Yes! Who cares about a gryoscope,,,, Really gyro what? piontless right now. So what iOS has it!
    If it's pointless why did HP put it in the TouchPad?
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    If it's pointless why did HP put it in the TouchPad?
    The integration of the gyroscope has allowed for more accurate recognition of movement within a 3D space than the previous lone accelerometer within a number of smartphones. Scott Steinberg, known for his critiques on newly released technology, says that the new addition of the gyroscope in the iPhone 4 may "completely redefine the way we interact with downloadable apps". - Wikipedia

emphasize "may" in other words it serves no purpose right now it's all in the sells pitch for people who dont even need it or really see how it helps in anyway. Which it really makes no difference whatsoever!
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    No - it's not necessary to be same or better in every feature. And that's rather obvious too because we can see a wide variety of products in the market - most of which sell well enough.
    It seems the words "well enough" are a bit out of place on a fan site about an announced but unreleased smartphone in a highly competitive market where it has to gain traction as the flagship device for a struggling platform. It has to aim for much higher than well enough.

HP does not have time to waste on mediocrity when competitors are defining the space. The Pre 3 not only needs a gyro to meet table stakes, it needs something new to gain leadership in at least some area of endeavor. Otherwise, what's the point?
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Very well said....... guess HP figured the Pre3 need not be future proof
    i love how the webos white knights defend the pre 3 for not having a gyroscope.

only they can argue that NOT having an extra feature is some how a good thing.

LMAO
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    The multi-user video confrencing from HP Labs may require a gyroscope according to the recent article, only the TouchPad has a gyro not the Pre3. Once again, why I have been so disappointed with the lack of gyro on the veer and pre3... http://www.precentral.net/webos-vide...-project-teams

You know what else gyros are used for? Not allowing you to enter things into nav or play video in car audio devices.... just saying not everything about gyros is good.

Also since we have all used the Pre3 by now, we can be sure it doesn't have a gyro. wait a minute.....
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast