Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys I found out about the Pre3 and am wondering if I should get it over an Android which I initially thought of getting. My situation is a bit different due to where I live so hear me out.

I live in Singapore and there're no Palm phones sold here. As such, I'd need to import it from the US or the UK. So far, I'm liking how WebOS is. Great multi-tasking, superb feel/smoothness of the UI, great homebrew community with HP/Palm support (HP recently gave WebOSinternals a server), unintrusive notifications and more. There're disadvantages to using the phone in Asia though.

1. App Store is unavailable in Asia. The official App Store can't be accessed where I'm from and so any official Apps aren't going to be on the phone if I get it. I've heard of asking someone to activate it for me before sending it over but I don't have a US credit card to make use of the App Store anyway. However, I chanced upon Preware and was wondering if JUST Preware alone would suffice. I've heard that the homebrew is pretty awesome so my question to the experienced users is - is it worth it? Just having homebrew apps on the Pre 3. Or is there some other way I can get the apps? For example, like getting the .apk for Android phones and installing it directly on the phone instead of going through the App Store. Android's Marketplace is fully supported so that's a plus point for Android.

2. Support. Palm phones (at least the Palm Pres and Pixis and whatnot) are not sold in where I'm from. There're no service centres I can send the phone to if it fails. So again, to experienced users of past Palm phones - are Palm phones reliable enough to not worry about sending it to a Service Centre? On another note, I do take good care of all my gadgets/phones. The only phone that I ever sent for servicing was a Nokia N80 for a software reflash.

I really like how the Pre3 is turning out (or has turned out) and am really looking forward to purchasing it. However, the above limitations make me feel that getting an Android is more practical.

Please advise regarding this. I would appreciate any further input regarding these factors or any other factors you guys think I should consider. The phone's coming out in about 4-5 months and it may be a bit early to consider this over an Android but I would like to try out WebOS. Thanks in advance!
    Get Android. Having no app store defeats the value of a smartphone.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    I hate to say this, angpuaykhoon, but if you're in an area not officially supported by the WebOS App Store, you'd be better going with Android.

I imported an original GSM Pre from Spain to my country, Australia. Luckily, the seller unlocked and activated it. If he hadn't, if I'd tried to activate it in Australia, I would've had NO app store at ALL. As it was, I had the European app store and could get free apps. However, without a European credit card, I could not buy apps.

There was no feasible way around this.

Unfortunately, my Pre broke. Because I'd bought it without a warranty, I was stuck. I bought a Google Nexus One, and Android is brilliant in the fact that I can buy apps.

As soon as a WebOS device is available in South East Asia/Oceania, I'll buy one. I'll always love WebOS over Android. However, I couldn't recommend it until then.

If you're south of the Equator, steer clear.

With any luck... we'll get WebOS eventually.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    I hate to say this, angpuaykhoon, but if you're in an area not officially supported by the WebOS App Store, you'd be better going with Android.
    Can't agree with you anymore.
    I live in Taiwan. Bought a Spain Pre just like you.
    I can't get any paid app, cause I have no European Credit card.

I just buy an android phone, and enjoy it.
    But I still keep the Pre with me for my personal phone, Android phone for my work.
    And I won't buy Pre 3 or TouchPad till HP officially release webOS in Asia.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Maybe we should get a petition going. Asia and Oceania availability

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
  6.    #6  
    Nooooooo ): That sucks. I was REALLY REALLY looking forward to owning a Palm device and the Pre3 is really sweet! Sigh. Maybe we should get that petition going huh bennish?

I just thought of something. I've got an iPod Touch (32GB, 2nd Gen, given to me since my cousin bought an iPhone 4) and the Pre3's got Mobile Hotspot. Do you guys think it'll be worth it to get the Pre3 JUST for phone usage and slightly more things (browser, maps, music, whatever I can get from Preware) and use the iPod Touch for apps? I mean Mobile Hotspot kinda makes the iPod Touch more usable. I suppose I'll still be losing out on total integration of apps with my phone (not to mention apps that help with phone functions) but I'm seriously considering doing this because WebOS is just freaking sweet. What dyou guys think?
    you could check out what apps are available besides the official app catalog and decide if it's worth it.
    using your webos device for phone, messaging, calendar and so on and your ipod touch to play games and whatever sounds like a good compromise.
    you could also get a cheap used pre and see if that would be working for you (the pre3 isn't available for some months anyway)
    buy samsung i5700 spica for $200, go to samdroidboard for root which will get you mobile-hotspot. than connect your ipod on spica. you can use igo on spica for maps. sorry to say, but we will have to wait at least a year for some decent apps on webOS
    I'm in Australia....another unsupported country. Australia may not have initially had the free app catalog, but it does now.....but only the free app catalog. I am in a similar situation. I have an iPhone 4 that does everything that I need a phone to do and the games are brilliant.....but I am a little bored. I want to have a play with webOS as well and get my phone to do even more, just because I can and because I like to play with gadgets.

Your idea about getting more apps on the iPod Touch and using the Pre 3 as a mobile hotspot for those apps sounds like it would work to me.
    You have a couple of options regarding activation though.....I am currently unexperienced with this, but have been reading up on it.

Option 1 is to activate in your country & use homebrew apps. When/If paid apps become available in your country then you can use your own credit card to purchase them. Personally, I would like this option, so are waiting to see what HP does before the Pre 3 is released.

Option 2, if HP does not open up the paid app catalog to my country, then I plan on getting someone in the USA to purchase and activate the Pre 3 for me. There is a card that as I understand it, is a pre-paid credit card. It is called a Simon Malls gift card. You can get the person who activates your Pre 3 to get you one....and then in the future you can get recharges, but the recharge codes could be emailed to you to save on postage. Now, this is going to be a hassle to people in the USA....and it is not the preferred method.....but it is my plan for if HP do not open up the app catalog here.

Option 3 could be to get the Pre 3 activated in another country (UK?) and then go with their app catalog....but you will not be able to purchase without a credit card from there. This is what makes the USA option better.

Why can't HP just listen to us? There are already a few other people who work with me that would buy the Pre 3 if the app catalog was officially available here....but otherwise they will not. I really do think that whether or not they open up the paid and free app catalogs to have world-wide availability is going to dictate how successful webOS devices are.

Anyway, I am stuck trying to make the same decision.....for me it's between activating in Australia to have an Australian account and then waiting and hoping that the paid app catalog is available here one day....or....by getting the Pre 3 activated in the USA and using a Simon Malls gift card to purchase apps.
    The other thing to consider is whether we can change the country in our profiles when we go to register a subsequent device a few years from now. I don't know the answer to this....and I suspect that we would have to start a new profile which could mean losing any apps purchased previously....but I don't know.
    Wait till the Pre3 is released. Else it's a moot point.

By the time it's released the app store may well be global even if there is no direct carrier support in your country.
    Pre3 wont come cheap, don't fool yourself. Since you are out of US, no carrier subsided prices for you. Of-contract Pre3 will be $600 - $800, and I believe it's gonna be closer to $800. It's a much money just for wi-fi hot spot. And, even if you get full access to app catalog you wont be impressed since you are coming from Itunes universe. Don't get me wrong, webOS is cool but it lacks a lot of stuff common on Android or IOS, stuff that you may need more than good multitasking. Now I'm sounding like troll, but that is the truth.
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    Its fairly easy to get prepaid credit cards over here, if that were the only obstacle couldn't there be some mechanism of sending e.g. a north american prepaid credit card to elsewhere?

But as others have noted its not the only obstacle.
  13.    #13  
    Okay I just had a chat with one of the technical operators over their Live Chat help thing. I asked him about this and he confirmed that it was region locked. Check out the following article on Palm's site -> Palm Support : Using App Catalog in specific regions. He did say that even if AppCatalog support went global, it would take a while.

@johnnygewitter: I went to check out the apps as you suggested and realized that there aren't that many apps in the AppCatalog. A total of 5722 official apps and 571 homebrew apps. This actually is tempting me to purchase the phone because since there's so little apps (in comparison to Android or iOS), it wouldn't really make a difference whether I'm able to purchase apps or not. Of course, having the option to would be nice haha.

@chalx: Yeah I know Android phones can do Mobile Hotspot too but I just really like how the Pre3 looks and functions. I absolutely CANNOT get the same experience that WebOS gives on Android or iOS. Regarding the pricing, I'd say that I would pay to get a phone I really like rather than get a cheap phone and not be satisfied with it. What I feel is that our phones have become quite integrated into our lives and are everywhere with us. If I'm gonna get a phone, I want to get a phone that I am satisfied with instead of looking at my phone everyday and wondering "damn, maybe it'd be better if I got that phone that I really wanted instead". But then again, 800USD would totally burn a hole in my Asian pocket O.O

@jodihansen: Option 2 sounds REALLY good. I didn't know about pre-paid credit cards at all! If this worked it might just be what helps gives us full AppCatalog access! Unfortunately the part you mentioned about changing the profile in the future if the AppCatalog went global is quite a reality as well ): But I just wanna say I appreciate the 3 options you've thought up! (:

@hagster: I can only hope that's true! And you're right about waiting for the Pre3 to come out. I can only hope and pray and hope and pray and hope and pray. Hahaha.

@aapold: Is it really easy to get these? I mean say I go on a holiday to the US of A, would I be able to buy one of these?
    ang, you need to import the Pre from the UK/Europe to get 3G in Singapore. Have you checked out http://www.spug.sg/forums/forum.php ? Some of us SG users have Palm Pres/+/2... loving it..
    I have to agree with previous posters. If you cannot get an app catalog or official support, you must go with the ones that do give you those things.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
  16.    #16  
    @jeffyen: Then how do you guys deal wth being unable to purchase apps? I have a friend in the UK and he may be able to send it over to me.
    try to get a ZTE V880. it's android and it's cheap (200~250 usd I think)
    it got optomized 600Mhz CPU with 800x480 resolution, 512 MB RAM/ROM, 3MP camera with auto focus, GPS, WIFI, BT...anything u need.
    And it's easy to upgrade to 2.2 with wifi sharing capability.

But be careful.
    It's easy to make you forget about webOS.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    there's some info and comments about this stuff over at the aussie qwerty users thread if you're interested in taking a look.

Quote Originally Posted by angpuaykhoon View Post
    @jeffyen: Then how do you guys deal wth being unable to purchase apps? I have a friend in the UK and he may be able to send it over to me.
    The Palm free app catalogue can be had by asking a UK person (my ebay seller) to first-activate it.. Unfortunately, I don't have a UK issued credit card so I can't buy paid apps. Still trying to solve this... I don't mind pre-paying a UK person some monies to use his cc card, for example...

Still I'm very happy with whatever I can find at Preware...
    I remember that people said that they can use Visa gift card to buy apps in App Catalog.
    But I'm not sure in Europe or US.
    Please make sure before to get one...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast