Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    I think webOSworld's original leak may have been right.
    What Happened to the Palm c40? (UPDATED!) WebOS World

"
    Initially the Palm c40 (under Palm) was put in two concepts designs. One was a slide out portrait, very*reminiscent of the Pre. The other was a horizontal slider very much like the Epic 4G.**The stats back in March/April were quite impressive:
    1ghz CPU
    3.7″ glass screen
    Revamped physical keyboard
    Amazing thinness ~0.5″
    Newer versions of webOS
    5MP camera with 720p recording capabilities
    800 x 480 resolution
    The phone was initially slated for a July 2010 release. You see, Sprint had quite an amazing little plan. Their goal was to release one 4G smartphone per month all summer long; The Evo would be released in June, the c40 in July, and the Epic in August. All three devices would be geared towards different audiences, but they would all offer the same ultra fast speeds. This release date changed however when HP stepped on the scene in April.
    The first thing HP introduced to this testing lineup was a new prototype phone with specs they wanted to see in the two previous models. It had:
    4″ LCD capacitive glass screen
    8MP camera with 720p recording
    Front facing camera
    960 x 640 resolution
    DLNA support
    1.2ghz CPU
    We have been told that the portrait slider has undergone the most testing. There is a very good chance that the c40 will be shipped looking very much like a Palm Pre on Steroids. We may see many of the prototypes phones specs to be carried over to the revamped c40."

The leaked c40 matches up exactly with the Pre 3, minus the CPU speed.
    That would imply that there are better phones on the way.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    If that's accurate, it would explain why sprint is mad at palm.

edit: but wouldn't explain why it lacks wimax.
    Last edited by nimer55; 02/13/2011 at 05:57 PM. Reason: more appropriate language.
    sprint will get the pre3
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    sprint will get the pre3
    Or a yet unnamed and unrevealed device.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    If that's accurate, it would explain why sprint is mad at palm.

edit: but wouldn't explain why it lacks wimax.
    They haven't announced carriers, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a Wiimax radio in it on Sprint. (But of course, HP might have changed their priorities with the takeover.)

Funny... this phone will be released about a year late if the planned July 2010 release was true.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    it does make sense

and i'm sure hp is testing and engineering a 4" slab device. but that takes a while so they weren't ready yet to introduce it
    Once again webOSworld is on the money. There's a reason I refresh their page every day looking for new rumors.

(Edit) This also means that the Pre 3 is very likely to have WiMAX when it hits Sprint, which would then make it very attractive for me. And add another voice to the "it will hit Sprint" crowd -- I was talking to Sprint earlier today to complain about the fact that they erroneously listed my account as Premier Silver despite being a customer for 10 years, and afterwards the dude was trying to offer me a $45 credit to get a new phone and new contract. First he tried to sell me the Kyocera Echo and I told him I had zero interest in that piece of crap, then asked him about the Pre 3. He said in no uncertain terms that they were going to be getting it, but also said that there was no official release date yet.

All that said, I'm going to buy an Evo this week. I'm taking that Android detour.
    Last edited by xcomputerman; 02/13/2011 at 08:59 PM.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    i dont think the pre3 will have wimax when it hits sprint unless they pull a pre3 plus.... i think they will have a phone above the pre later in the year, probably a slab to go head to head with the iphone. and for sure they have a 7 inch tablet in the wings...
    remember Digi times had an article about 5 and maybe six devices being produced by HP for webos this year. Veer, pre3, touchpad, lil touchpad, (im not sure if we should count pre 2 or not) but we still have room for 2 or three more devices.
    i think a slab and my other wild guess is a netbook...
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    i dont think the pre3 will have wimax when it hits sprint unless they pull a pre3 plus.... i think they will have a phone above the pre later in the year, probably a slab to go head to head with the iphone. and for sure they have a 7 inch tablet in the wings...
    remember Digi times had an article about 5 and maybe six devices being produced by HP for webos this year. Veer, pre3, touchpad, lil touchpad, (im not sure if we should count pre 2 or not) but we still have room for 2 or three more devices.
    i think a slab and my other wild guess is a netbook...
    I'm guessing a 7" touchpad (Opal), Horizontal Slider (Pre 3 with different keyboard?), and Slab (Will come when webOS 3.0 is more mature).
    So that's 6 devices, I just don't see why they wouldn't announce the Horizontal Slider February 9th.

(And yes, I'm kinda stating the obvious. :P)
    Last edited by JLegacy; 02/13/2011 at 09:54 PM.

*sits in stunned silence*
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I somehow doubt that Palm will no longer put phones on Sprint. Sprint has been Palm's messiah for the pre and pixi. Sprint gave Palm just enough money to run until Hp stepped in and in my opinion, Palm owes them something mighty.
    I think the slab will be out either by end of year or next year Expo event in Jan. They will add another phone to the line up.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Goodness, the mobile phone market in the US really is severely limited by carrier, isn't it? Seems such a shame that it's (forgive me) 'fragmented' in such a way that living in one particular place or having one particular band of frequency completely alters your choices.

If companies would hurry up and just release phones with radios that do the full spectrum, maybe the carriers' stranglehold would lessen a little.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Actually the Pre 3 and C40 are not the same things. C40 was something entirely different (not a phone) and never made it to market if the ramblings I have heard are true.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    The ramblings I heard were that the C40 was a slab type phone that never made it to actual developmment due to the HP buyout .

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    oh my understanding was the C40 was two version one a portrait slider like the Pre 3, and a slab they were testing each. Atleast what was said here, and what supersonical was explaining to us over at webosworld and on twitter.
    Well, my sources may have been more than just ramblings... but then again maybe not. (enter x-files bumper music)
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Well, my sources may have been more than just ramblings... but then again maybe not. (enter x-files bumper music)
    lol I feel you
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    oh my understanding was the C40 was two version one a portrait slider like the Pre 3, and a slab they were testing each. Atleast what was said here, and what supersonical was explaining to us over at webosworld and on twitter.
    If they had 2 versions you would expect 2 names i.e. C40 - C50 so I'm not apt to believe that . But the slab phone part is what I'm assuming anyways .

ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    If they had 2 versions you would expect 2 names i.e. C40 - C50 so I'm not apt to believe that . But the slab phone part is what I'm assuming anyways .

true, but even in the explanation above is what supersonical was explaining to us months back, that the C40 was going to be either one of those phones. So the plan was that the C40 was either going to be a portrait slider, or a slab. What supersonical was saying was there was not going to be both being produced just one of the 2. Thats again what he was explaining to us then with the questions we asked.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast