Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Here is a summary of a later post from webosworld (dated Nov 2010) that maintains that HP was responsible for Sprint dropping Pre2 with a planned Nov 2010 release for the Pre 3.
    Summarized below (with link at the bottom):

1) the C40 was the Pre2, in development by Palm before the buyout along with another keyboard phone

2) Sprint was testing these Palm devices and was planning to debut the C40 (Pre2) in Nov 2010 (presumably simultaneously with AT&T although blog doesn't say this) but then HP developed the Pre3 which caused Sprint to drop the Pre2 for the Pre3, in hopes of broadening Palm market. The Pre3 was not ready for Nov, therefore Sprint delayed release.

3) HP then cut a deal with Verizon to take the already manufactured CDMA Pre2 and debut it in Nov. This would be the product cycle that Rubenstein says he missed as Sprint dropped out of Nov Pre2 for Pre3 and Verizon delayed Nov Pre2 until Feb 2011.
    (this also might mean Verizon got the phones for cheap so they took it as it was not so much of a risk for them but this is just my speculation)*

4) Interestingly, the blog entry dated Nov says the Pre3 has a 4G radio. I wonder if this was taken out in Nov/Dec as Sprint started to mull its 4G strategy.

Separately, Precentral published a link that VZW was testing 4G HP device. This could be part of the package that is intriguing the Verizon CTO. Could Verizon go back to the originally planned Nov schedule with a 4G device?

ps I am presuming HP can get the hardware right but the software and apps seem to be the wild cards.
    How long does it generally take to develop some strong apps to anchor these devices?

Hmmn, speculating here....early Oct is the time that Ben and Dion left. I wonder if they left once Sprint delayed release and they realized there was no path for current customers who are largely Sprint customers. The Nov dev day was designed to help take devs to the new device and framework, yes? So the devs would move on but would not have any customers as the Pre2 software was not compatible with the old devices. This may have been obvious as far back as Oct. which is why the team heads left to start their own businesses. [Rahul Sood left also in mid Nov, it may have taken him a few weeks longer to land the new post]
    But the remaining Palm may have been carried by the HP momentum and unable to square with its past. The best it could do was to try to make some backwards compatible solution and that was abandoned shortly before Feb 9th in an exec level decision that did not filter down to the troops.

What Happened to the Palm c40? Questions Answered WebOS World
    Last edited by bluenote; 02/18/2011 at 08:14 AM.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Anything is possible but there is definitely a story behind everybody cutting, not just "HP is too big". I would pay to watch a movie about the early days of webOS
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    i dont think the pre3 will have wimax when it hits sprint unless they pull a pre3 plus....
    This really would be the only phone on Sprint who can do video calling and is not 4G. So it be kinda weird to do that honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by bill2455 View Post
    This thread got me wondering. Has anyone matched up all those leaked code names from late last year to announced products?

We know Topaz and Opal are the tablets. How do Broadway, Mansion, Windsor, Mantaray and Stingray match up?
    I agree Mansion is probably not real. Broadway is the Veer (Myte/Gyst being back up /confusion names for Veer), the other three ... who knows. If the Pre 3 is the Mantaray, it would go to reason that the Stingray be the slab factor of the Pre 3. Windsor being the slide out like Epic 4G? Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    I'll do my best:

Broadway - FCC ID says this is the Veer
    Mansion - Dieter has backed off the Mansion name, saying he doesn't believe it, even though he is the one who published it from a trusted source, as he said
    Windsor - nobody knows just yet
    Mantaray - some speculation that this is the Pre3
    Stingray - nobody knows just yet
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    is anyone else bummed they didnt release the pre 3 when we all thought they should have >:/
    trashing product development time is one thing but letting it languish (and get old) then release it is so so much worse IMHO.

I mean, its like saying "I was going to sell some clothes I sewed but when I found out that new fashion lines were coming out I put them in the closet....well, I couldn't make them in time for this season so I just put last year's clothes out on the racks. I mean, what else was I supposed to do?"

I think the correct answer to that is put your clothes out on the rack while you work on your new styles. It might not be awesome but at least you will be clothing people and you will have something to show for your effort and stay relevant. Grr
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    It doesn't make any sense for HP to trademark a trio of names like Veer, Gyst and Myte and only intend on using one of them for an actual product, with the other two acting as disinformation. It's much more likely that we'll see a HP Gyst and HP Myte show up sooner or later. Hopefully sooner.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    It doesn't make any sense for HP to trademark a trio of names like Veer, Gyst and Myte and only intend on using one of them for an actual product, with the other two acting as disinformation. It's much more likely that we'll see a HP Gyst and HP Myte show up sooner or later. Hopefully sooner.
    On the contrary I'm sure that this happens all the time.
    It takes time to check whether a name is free in all markets, give marketing folks time to brainstorm how to market it, find out whether it means something horrible in mandarin or greek, etc... You don't want to go through all those steps and then find that a day ago somebody else trademarked the name.

A large multi-national will cover several options early on.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    It is possible we will. But considering that other leaked info states we are getting 5-6 devices this year, we have to assume some of those names aren't happening.

Then again, it's possible the "slab" we all want is called HP MYTE. So who knows?
    Wasn't the Manta the slab?
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    Wasn't the Manta the slab?
    I don't think we know.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Hmm...

A keyboard-less webOS phone - the Stingray? [Exclusive] | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

Thoughts?

I'm guessing it's what webOSworld reported last year:
    4″ LCD capacitive glass screen
    8MP camera with 720p recording
    Front facing camera
    960 x 640 resolution
    DLNA support
    1.2ghz CPU
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    It will probably be released on a carrier that is not Sprint in the coming years.

Keep saving those upgrades people!

(PS: No I'm not bitter, not at all!!)
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    From ArthurThornton (and Updated)

Broadway - FCC ID says this is the Veer
    Mansion - Dieter has backed off the Mansion name, saying he doesn't believe it, even though he is the one who published it from a trusted source, as he said
    Windsor - nobody knows just yet
    Mantaray - some speculation that this is the Pre3
    Stingray - ~3.6-4.0"+ Slab/No physical keyboard
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post
    That was the first thing I thought of.

I also went back to this quote from nearly a year ago for the Pre 3:

The stats back in March/April [2010] were quite impressive:
    • 1ghz CPU
    • 3.7″ glass screen
    • Revamped physical keyboard
    • Amazing thinness ~0.5″
    • Newer versions of webOS
    • 5MP camera with 720p recording capabilities
    • 800 x 480 resolution
    The phone was initially slated for a July 2010 release.
    This is like a mini-EVO and would have come out at about the same time. At the right price, it would have been a hit.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    That was the first thing I thought of.

I also went back to this quote from nearly a year ago for the Pre 3:

The stats back in March/April [2010] were quite impressive:

1ghz CPU
    3.7″ glass screen
    Revamped physical keyboard
    Amazing thinness ~0.5″
    Newer versions of webOS
    5MP camera with 720p recording capabilities
    800 x 480 resolution

The phone was initially slated for a July 2010 release.
    This is like a mini-EVO and would have come out at about the same time. At the right price, it would have been a hit.
    Ah, but that was the Pre 3's specs. Looks like the only real change in the year since the leak was a better CPU.

I'm speculating that CPU will be the only thing really "spec'd up" in this rumored slab.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post
    I'm guessing a 7" touchpad (Opal), Horizontal Slider (Pre 3 with different keyboard?), and Slab (Will come when webOS 3.0 is more mature).
    So that's 6 devices, I just don't see why they wouldn't announce the Horizontal Slider February 9th.

(And yes, I'm kinda stating the obvious. :P)
    One reason, maybe it was scapped. Two, maybe they are still revamping that one -- I mean, Palm went from OMAP to Snapdragon after HP so maybe they are not going to galaxy s style and releasing the same phone specs but different ones? Or finally ... Maybe the feb event was about the touchpad and they showed the first two smartphones leaving the others to be announced later.
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    And what about Myte/Jyst? Were those just backups for Veer? (From what a few others said in the forums)
    I think myte gyst might either be a back up or the new devices comin out. The Pre 3 is the flagship for now, but the HP MYTE will probably be the flagship this fall. Maybe the Stingray?
    Global Posts
    936 Global Posts
    Wasn't something called Castle a long time ago?

Since the UK town of Windsor got a well known castle maybe its the same device? Or was Castle some previous already released device?
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    Wasn't something called Castle a long time ago?

Since the UK town of Windsor got a well known castle maybe its the same device? Or was Castle some previous already released device?
    I believe that was the pre or pixi.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    I believe that was the pre or pixi.
    Castle was the Pre, EOS was the Pixi's codename.

I would have thought the Mantaray would be large, like the touchpad, then the stingray a smaller version of the same [7" touchpad ] It make more sense to me than other names.

Is there any verification of any of these names?
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast