Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    HP Pre3 video on hp.com

The text on the frame about 1/3 of the way through reads "The world's best apps"

Really? Hrmm, could be some apps already on board, but not yet announced?

EDIT: this line is not included in the Veer or TP videos.
    I see pandas.
    meh, the worlds best apps could mean anything really.
    just like "hardware is ready" and "in weeks." No trust left AT ALL. They need to let the engineers run the meetings and not the marketing people.
    93 Posts
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    well it's not true. But still better than “we have thousands/millions of (useless) apps.”
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    they're just talking about Pandora/Facebook and all those other big names. Personally I'm scared of the OS moving from Google to Bing. I really hope they don't do that. Kinda sucks for HP though when Google and Microsoft have competing mobile OS's though.
    Quote Originally Posted by pk1234 View Post
    well it's not true. But still better than “we have thousands/millions of (useless) apps.”
    Its a completely subjective statement so its really impossible to speculate on its validity.

Most all of the apps that average joe consumer is looking for are available (ie facebook, pandora, twitter, etc) and I think that is what they are going for here.
    from what i read somewher, their shooting for 10,000 apps
    Quote Originally Posted by pk1234 View Post
    After having spent a bit of time using Android, I no longer buy into the notion that having so many apps isn't a serious advantage to the platform. Sure, because of the sheer numbers there are more bad apps in the Android Market, the number of good apps is vastly more than exist for webOS--I'd guess, by a factor of 10 at least.

Where webOS doesn't have a single Office editing suite, Android has three outstanding options. Where webOS doesn't have a single legitimate remote PC control app, Android has many (I stopped counting). Where webOS doesn't have a single voice recording app (not fair, maybe, because it's not even possible on webOS), Android has many. Etc, etc.

I've been a huge supporter of Palm over the two years since CES 2009, but my reasons for providing this support have slowly degraded. I'm at the point now where I simply can't think of a single good reason, for myself, to stay on webOS at this point. And arguments like this, that Android's 200,000+ apps or whatever is meaningless because so many are crap doesn't fly with me any longer.

Rather, I have to recognize that Android has so many apps (and of course, iOS has so many more) because it has the kind of market success that attracts so many developers. When, 20 months after the Pre's launch, we still have entire categories of apps missing on webOS, we have to go ahead and call a spade a spade.

Unfortunately, given how long it's going to be until legitimate webOS devices are released and then have a chance to prove themselves in the market, it's going to be that much longer before developers will have any real-world incentives to start writing apps. Meaning, it'll likely be 2012 before we see any serious support for the platform outside of what HP writes themselves or pays developers to write.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I think HP has realized a lot of key applications are missing from webOS, and that's why HP is saying in house application development for key applications is going to really boom. HP needs webOS to hit a home run. It's not a want. It's a multi-billion dollar need. If this "Summer" launch is a fail, heads will roll because it really is a last shot at breaking into the phone market.

One of the 5 mobile smartphone OSs is going to fail in the next 1-2yrs and it's going to be WP7 or webOS. webOS and HP have some major advantages over WP7 right now, but if they flop another launch, Nokia partnering with WP7 could be a major problem for HP.
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    I think HP has realized a lot of key applications are missing from webOS, and that's why HP is saying in house application development for key applications is going to really boom. HP needs webOS to hit a home run. It's not a want. It's a multi-billion dollar need. If this "Summer" launch is a fail, heads will roll because it really is a last shot at breaking into the phone market.

One of the 5 mobile smartphone OSs is going to fail in the next 1-2yrs and it's going to be WP7 or webOS. webOS and HP have some major advantages over WP7 right now, but if they flop another launch, Nokia partnering with WP7 could be a major problem for HP.
    I think Nokia/MS represents a threat in a couple of ways, while Nokia means pretty much nothing in the US, in the rest of the world, a lot of people will still pick a phone because it says 'Nokia' on it, more so than if it says "HP". The other thing is, this idea of capturing dump-phone users, again a lot of people are really happy with their dumb Nokias so if they transition a lot will gravitate to Nokia because of the name.

Having said that, the competition between WP7 and WebOS is going to get pretty interesting as they try and ensure that it's the other that ends up in the dirt. I wouldn't like to have to pick a winner.
    What do you expect them to say? "Some day we'll have great apps"? Everyone boast to be number 1.

ET
    Even stateside I think Nokia has a reputation for being innovative and making really solid reliable hardware, they have just been kind of MIA in the past couple years. This partnership with microsoft and WP7 is a BIG deal.

And if the competition is between WP7 and WebOS, lets face it WebOS is toast. Microsoft will simply throw money at it until it sticks much like they did with XBox and Live/Bing. If WebOS doesnt produce the way HP wants it to would anybody be surprised to see them ditch it and get out of the smartphone business altogether? I know I wouldnt.
    Citrix said they're coming to webos 3.0

I already have PreVPN, facebook, foursquare, pandora, maps, GPS, top 100 songs (nutsie/HP), angry birds, twitter. I can tether

Kindle reader is coming to the tablet.

Hey, this aint that bad a repetiore. I can pretty much do with my pre what my iPhone buddy does. Ok, maybe he has dragon speak and shazam, but he never uses it.

And there's cool apps like Techtray for news, and What's shaking for quakes (cough, cough unique to webOS.

Add a few more key apps: like some sort of photo editing/video editing, word processor, some type of amazon-music store integration. Make it fast, stable and smooth and now we're talking. Price it competitive. Oh and bring us FLASH
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkj View Post
    Even stateside I think Nokia has a reputation for being innovative and making really solid reliable hardware, they have just been kind of MIA in the past couple years. This partnership with microsoft and WP7 is a BIG deal.

And if the competition is between WP7 and WebOS, lets face it WebOS is toast. Microsoft will simply throw money at it until it sticks much like they did with XBox and Live/Bing. If WebOS doesnt produce the way HP wants it to would anybody be surprised to see them ditch it and get out of the smartphone business altogether? I know I wouldnt.
    I'm not a big gamer (I own a Ps3 but don't actually play any games on it) but I think the Xbox live stuff helps to make w7 'sticky' to a significant number of gamers.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I'm not a big gamer (I own a Ps3 but don't actually play any games on it) but I think the Xbox live stuff helps to make w7 'sticky' to a significant number of gamers.
    So, WP7 has Xbox Live. Android has a partnership with Sony's Playstation. What's left for webOS?

Sent from my HD2 using Tapatalk
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    Citrix said they're coming to webos 3.0

I already have PreVPN, facebook, foursquare, pandora, maps, GPS, top 100 songs (nutsie/HP), angry birds, twitter. I can tether

Kindle reader is coming to the tablet.

Hey, this aint that bad a repetiore. I can pretty much do with my pre what my iPhone buddy does. Ok, maybe he has dragon speak and shazam, but he never uses it.

And there's cool apps like Techtray for news, and What's shaking for quakes (cough, cough unique to webOS.

Add a few more key apps: like some sort of photo editing/video editing, word processor, some type of amazon-music store integration. Make it fast, stable and smooth and now we're talking. Price it competitive. Oh and bring us FLASH
    I don't think anyone would argue that if all of those things were available today on webOS, then webOS would be competitive. Kind of a circular argument, isn't it? The fact is, however, that they're not, and that it'll be six months before they are (and there are no guarantees it'll be that soon). For many people, such as myself, that's the deciding factor.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    thats why hp should compete with BB and focus on the business end first. next year or two they can start an xbox box live equal but for mobile games only or partner or even buy nintendo... if 3ds is a flop, i dont thinmk wii2 will be the blockbuster the wii is now... so there will be oportunity. Hp is already partnering with dreamworks maybe they can even get help from amazon to help build the gaming infrastructure. im sure they are looking to do a steam thing too....
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Hardware manufacturer wise: Nintendo.
    Is Nintendo not making any mobile (as in cellular) gaming moves? Anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    So, WP7 has Xbox Live. Android has a partnership with Sony's Playstation. What's left for webOS?

Sent from my HD2 using Tapatalk
    Nintendo. But I doubt they will want to work with any cell phone company.

Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    thats why hp should compete with BB and focus on the business end first. next year or two they can start an xbox box live equal but for mobile games only or partner or even buy nintendo... if 3ds is a flop, i dont thinmk wii2 will be the blockbuster the wii is now... so there will be oportunity. Hp is already partnering with dreamworks maybe they can even get help from amazon to help build the gaming infrastructure. im sure they are looking to do a steam thing too....
    I don't think focusing on Business is a good idea. BlackBerry is in trouble because they can't compete with the iPhone. Most BlackBerry users get a BB then for their next phone go and get Android or iPhone b/c anything they need or want is on those phones plus it's better for their personal life. HP should focus on stealing those customers though. Getting BlackBerry users like my wife away from BB and to them would help. But they should also focus on the consumer side of things. And they can't buy Nintendo. That be toooo much money.
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Getting BlackBerry users like my wife away from BB and to them would help.
    I think there is a hardcore of Blackberry users it's going to be hard to steal because the killer app is battery life. My other half charges her bold twice a week, it makes me sick...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast