Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    HP Pre3 video on hp.com
    The text on the frame about 1/3 of the way through reads "The world's best apps"
    Really? Hrmm, could be some apps already on board, but not yet announced?
    well... what are the 'better' apps that you think WebOS doesn't have?
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    thats why hp should compete with BB and focus on the business end first. next year or two they can start an xbox box live equal but for mobile games only or partner or even buy nintendo... if 3ds is a flop, i dont thinmk wii2 will be the blockbuster the wii is now... so there will be oportunity. Hp is already partnering with dreamworks maybe they can even get help from amazon to help build the gaming infrastructure. im sure they are looking to do a steam thing too....
    Nintendo is 40 billion dollars.. I don't think hp is buying that anytime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    I would kill for a good working VNC, RDP app.
    Hell I'd just be happy if LogMeIn would work.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Isn't it gonna launch with VNC? That's what I heard.

As far as I can see, WebOS has all the 'flagship' apps iOS and Android do.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    I think they are referring to the fact that they are simply going to make some of the flagship apps we want in-house and provide them to the services we want for free, and say "Hey, our folks want your service on their phones, so we made you a killer app that works well with our OS, here you can have it." So you end up getting all you want in first rate apps and the vendors, ie. Hulu, Netflix etc... don't have to risk anything to see the potential and gauge webOS user response.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Yep all they have to do is give their blessing !

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-ḶøØṫ-ŦḯØη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Sirius/, xm is one i can no longer live without. i use it atleast 5 hours everyday.

Evo-lution
    So are they saying "we have versions of the world's best known apps" or "our apps are the world's best"?

There is a big difference in my mind. They can have versions of the best known apps but it doesn't mean they are the best apps. For example, Facebook on webOS is the best Facebook app I've used but google maps on webOS is the worst google maps app I've used. Both would count as having versions of the worlds best apps but only one would count as being one of the world's best apps.

Personally, I think it is just marketing bull. It's sad because it's a game they can't win at the moment. The minute you mention apps, you are automatically compared to the iPhone and Android. Palm has always tried to spin the app thing in their favor but it has not worked so far.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    So are they saying "we have versions of the world's best known apps" or "our apps are the world's best"?

There is a big difference in my mind. They can have versions of the best known apps but it doesn't mean they are the best apps. For example, Facebook on webOS is the best Facebook app I've used but google maps on webOS is the worst google maps app I've used. Both would count as having versions of the worlds best apps but only one would count as being one of the world's best apps.

Personally, I think it is just marketing bull. It's sad because it's a game they can't win at the moment. The minute you mention apps, you are automatically compared to the iPhone and Android. Palm has always tried to spin the app thing in their favor but it has not worked so far.
    Same question I had when I saw that in the video. Same thoughts about it just being marketing (my wife is in marketing, I know how they live to spin, lol.)
    I see pandas.
  10.    #30  
    Yep, hope they get LMI on board, although using full web page on the tablet would be much easier than on the phone, so that will help a bit. But, still prefer a dedicated app.
    I see pandas.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    uh, didn't state that. just posted the info and asked a question.
    I see pandas.
    Let us all choose not to get into a ****ing contest over it, but just discuss what would be some “top tier” apps that we want to see on webOS?

Personally, my two requirements before purchasing the next WebOS are 1) Netflix on demand 2)Skype, or some video phone app that lets you talk with other computers (not just with other webos devices) for free.

Nice to have would be full flash capability such that free hulu works, I can access restaurant menus (ever saw a restaurant webpage that wasn’t full flash?) while we are out and about, and my kids can play the various flash games around the web. Note also, I would be very happy with a follow-up Preware hack that allows me to “disable” flash the rest of the time…

Other than that, I don’t really know of too many other apps I want beyond the apps that are already available in webos (or currently in the catalog.)

What are some others that other people consider "must have?"

-Suntan
    The thing about apps is that people's needs change all the time.

For example, if I change banks, I'd like an app for that bank. If my next contract causes me to travel a lot, video chat and navigation apps became more important. As the kids get older and more interested in science, things like google sky and other science apps become important.

A personal example: I was in the market for a virtual keyboard for my HTPC so I decided to see what I could find in the app market and found RemoteDroid that turns my EVO into a WiFi mouse and keyboard. <-- This was not a killer app for me until my daughter got old enough to start wanting to mess with keyboards and anything with buttons.

For me, there are two very important things I need from a platform.
    • Does it have the apps I need "now"?
    • Is it a fully supported and very much alive platform such that there is a high likelihood that the apps I may want tomorrow will be available?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12