1.    #1  
    It's my hope that the summer release date is actually a worse case scenario date... Do you think HP / Palm gave out the summer date with a hope that if software development goes better than expected, it will be released before that? It would be much better to surprise on the early side than say it's coming in the Spring then have to be forced to delay it further.

After a brief hands-on with the Pre 3 at Think Beyond, the hardware seems to be ready.

My first post, welcome me from twitter @5xBEAR
    Global Posts
    825 Global Posts
    Ohhh brother... who let this guy in? I thought precentral has background checks in place...

Welcome bro...

Maybe they are lowering expectations to Wow people if it comes early... or not.
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Welcome and Im thinking so. I assume once they get carrier or carriers on board, and depending on how fast production is, and a stable version of Webos 2.X is ready to go they would be able to launch a device sooner then summer. Though these things IMO are the hurdle they need to get done first, and are going to be very difficult. Heres hoping for a sooner date, and a multi carrier launch.
    IMHO, if they had carriers signed up they would hve announced carrer names.

if they don't have those deals finalized yet, it still takes months to get them through carrier processes and start selling them.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cantaffordit View Post
    imho, if they had carriers signed up they would hve announced carrer names.

If they don't have those deals finalized yet, it still takes months to get them through carrier processes and start selling them.
    ditto!
    summer would be a bad idea. the new iphone should be coming out around that time. they should release it sooner like around april. if by the end of april its still not here i will probably leave my pre for the new evo
    When was the last time a smartphone company gave a vague release window and even came out at the beginning of said window much less beat it?

The best case scenario - in terms of how soon - is likely you being able to drop several hundred for these things unsubsidized from HP.com. The Pre 2 release probably wasn't an anomaly.
    it seems like the holdup on these new palm phones like the pre2 and Pre3 is carrier unwillingness to carry the product. if the carriers thought these would sell like hotcakes, they would be all over them like flies on xxxx.
    Maybe the best thing to plan on for now is multiple FFs available by Xmas shopping season, then we'll have choices of Veer, Pre3, and hopefully a Slab.

Anything earlier would be icing on the cake.

Just hope my Pre holds up until then..
    I see pandas.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Hey 5xBear,

(It's me @smartjonescomic). I haven't posted much in here since the buzz for the original Pre. Good news, I'll be getting my first webOS phone in the Pixi Plus on Wednesday. Bad news is that Summer is what I expect from them for Pre 3. I think Verizon would prefer the Pre 3 to be launched as far as possible on Sprint (Sprint's still just rumor right? but it makes sense) from their Pre 2 release. I wonder if there would be any contract issues concerning the release of both phones. And come to think of it, is HP going to spend money on advertising for one or both?

Either way, considering I just moved to Verizon in December... looks like I probably won't be getting a Pre 3 (and I don't know if I can get myself to buy a P2 having touched the P3). At least that leaves more money to spend on a TouchPad.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Based on comments I've read here and elsewhere, it seems to me the hold up is WebOS itself.

I expect Palm didn't really plan on a complete remake of the OS but HP had bigger plans with integration. Probably a good long term decision but a painful delay for early adopters.

Once complete, I would expect a regular pipeline of new products. And, as long as apps come too, all will be good.
    Well the sooner the better for lovers of the Pre, but HP will really have to market it big time considering the fierce competition.
    Honestly, I'm done playing the speculation game. HP said it'll be a summer release, and so that's the information on which I based my decision to get and keep an Epic. If I could have gone another six months without voice recording and the ability to edit Office docs (or if webOS 2.X were released for my Pre with those capabilities), then maybe I would keep waiting that long. But I certainly won't wait with the mere hope that the Pre 3, webOS 2.X, and all would miraculously release sooner.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    HP should just get their software engineering team on steroids or something, produce mad overtime to speed it up

but you've also got to factor in that the engineers themselves had to unlearn mojo and then learn enyo

long process, i'm sure
    the only thing that could get these phones out sooner is if they started selling them unlocked from hp.com
    Welcome. While it would be lovely to have new hardware sooner rather than later, I generally expect to have a phone for two years, so am not (yet) in a tizzy. On the other hand, it sure would be nice to know if I'm going to be able to get the Preł on Sprint, or not. Used to be a Carrier First, OS Second girl, but I'm so addicted to webOS that I'll have to look into off-contract at a different carrier if it's not.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    the only thing that could get these phones out sooner is if they started selling them unlocked from hp.com
    Thats what I'm hoping for.
    I'd gladly shell out for an unlocked Pre^3 worldphone that I could activate on Sprint.

Heck, I'd almost prefer that to the golden handcuffs of a contract.