1.    #1  
    Ya figure the Pre 3's battery will be physically larger than the Pre? I hope not, so I can still use my nifty external charger.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    No way of knowing yet...

we'll know in the coming months
    It's definitely a higher capacity. I would be surprised if it would work in your charger...
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    It's definitely a higher capacity. I would be surprised if it would work in your charger...
    Shouldn't be a problem as long as the dimensions are the same.

I'm hoping to pop in my Seidio 2300 - and all will be well with the world
    Quote Originally Posted by bondfast View Post
    Shouldn't be a problem as long as the dimensions are the same.

The only way to add power is to add cells, so it will have to be a different size. Depending on how you charger works, it may still have the same connectors in the same location. On the external charger I have, I would have to cut the plastic off of any side that grows. If the connectors are in the same location, I'll take a shot at doing that. It is a cheap device so I wont lose much if I ruin it.
    well, if they can make a 1400mah the same size, I don't see why palm can't make a 1230 the same size. The centro battery is atleast 4 years old, hasn't battery tech improved at all?
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Carols View Post
    I'm hoping to pop in my Seidio 2300 - and all will be well with the world
    I don't think there is any way that current Seido batteries will work in the new phone. Its too thin for that. We weren't able to remove the back cover to see the battery (I asked), I think they will basically add cells to the end of the current battery (opposite from the connectors) to add capacity. I don't see any way they can make the battery any thicker and fit within the dimensions of that phone.

We will be able to use our existing cables and touchstones, but not batteries. I'm fine with that because batteries wear out and I will be due for replacing them by the time the Pre3 ships.
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    well, if they can make a 1400mah the same size, I don't see why palm can't make a 1230 the same size. The centro battery is atleast 4 years old, hasn't battery tech improved at all?
    If you read through the Dr Battery threads, it seems that the way they got 1400mAh was a combination of higher quality materials and changing the rating in the battery chip. The stock Palm batteries are actually reporting 1183mAh and the Seido batteries are reporting less capacity than claimed on the label. Mine are labeled 1350 and 2600, but report 1150 and 2300 so I feel robbed by Seido.

All that to say, I'd be totally shocked if the battery isn't physically larger and with different dimentions.
    The Pre 3 has a 1230 mAh battery. It's posted on the palm website. Didn't you guys check? Palm USA | Hp Pre 3 Phone | Features, Details
    If you read through the Dr Battery threads, it seems that the way they got 1400mAh was a combination of higher quality materials and changing the rating in the battery chip. The stock Palm batteries are actually reporting 1183mAh and the Seido batteries are reporting less capacity than claimed on the label. Mine are labeled 1350 and 2600, but report 1150 and 2300 so I feel robbed by Seido.

All that to say, I'd be totally shocked if the battery isn't physically larger and with different dimentions.
    I highly doubt it's not larger, but even in those threads some people had close to the advertised amount. Meaning it's possible, but harder. (unless I'm missing something, even if i'm not, I doubt it.)

Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    The Pre 3 has a 1230 mAh battery. It's posted on the palm website. Didn't you guys check? Palm USA | Hp Pre 3 Phone | Features, Details
    we we're discussing the possibility of a higher capacity battery being in the same physical shape.
    With the reuse of the pre design, it is likely that the battery will be of the same dimensions. Why reinvent the wheel?
    Phones -> Motorola i60c, i80, i215, i730, i880(maroon), Samsung Instinct(SPH-M800), Palm Pre

Palm Devices ->3com Palm III, Palm m100, m130, m500, Zire 71, PalmOne Zire 72, LifeDrive, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by eovnu87435ds View Post
    With the reuse of the pre design, it is likely that the battery will be of the same dimensions. Why reinvent the wheel?
    The Pre2 uses the same packaging but the Pre3 is a different albeit similar beast:

Pre 3

Dimensions Width: 64mm (2.52 inches)
    Height: 111mm (4.37 inches)
    Thickness: 16mm (0.63 inches)
    Weight 156 grams (5.5 ounces)

Pre +
    Dimensions Width: 59.5mm (2.3 inches)
    Height: 100.5mm (3.9 inches)
    Thickness: 16.95mm (0.67 inches)
    Weight 138.5 grams (4.89 ounces)
    Note the Pre3 is thinner, longer (height) and wider. It also weighs more. I suspect they kept the basic battery idea but the exact dimensions and specific locations of the connectors could easily be changed. I'm frankly shocked at 1230ma - that seems like folly unless the new processor plus the OS is a great deal more efficient than the current crop of hardware.
    Last edited by Unclevanya; 02/14/2011 at 02:32 PM.
    I dont know why they made such a small battery if you look around all new Androids are coming with 1500 and above. This is crazy, I have no doubt that after the release of Pre 3 HP or 3rd Party vendors make larger batteries and like Suckers we buy, so it is a win win for HP.