Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Based on the Veer's recent FCC clearance and the dates submitted to FCC (WIFI tested in AUGUST 2010), it is obvious that the Veer was a PRE HP design....same with Pre 3....

Hopefully the NEW post Palm Designed phones will be coming up soon...
    Last edited by crg28; 02/12/2011 at 12:12 AM. Reason: fixing tittle
    Good news. I'm glad that these are still palm inspired. Now I can have faith in HP again.
    Quote Originally Posted by prefectionist View Post
    Good news. I'm glad that these are still palm inspired. Now I can have faith in HP again.
    Wait, why? This means that HP bought these designs already done or almost done 10 months ago and...they're still not launching the Pre3 for another 4 months?! Why does that give you faith in HP?
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Wait, why? This means that HP bought these designs already done or almost done 10 months ago and...they're still not launching the Pre3 for another 4 months?! Why does that give you faith in HP?
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    I was just saying because hopefully, when we see phones designed by HP and only HP, they will be higher caliber and have different form factors considering these are still Palm inspired.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    I remember reading somewhere that Rubi was very frustrated for a few months after acquisition in regards to the phones in the pipeline....maybe this is what this is all about.
    I would speculate it has to do with Qualcomm. Palm was probably set to go with ARM but had no cash and HP bought them. HP probably allowed the Pre 2 to be released because it was so far in development but put the brakes on the veer and pre 3 to make the Switch to Qualcomm, forcing them to re-write software and be delayed.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I would speculate it has to do with Qualcomm. Palm was probably set to go with ARM but had no cash and HP bought them. HP probably allowed the Pre 2 to be released because it was so far in development but put the brakes on the veer and pre 3 to make the Switch to Qualcomm, forcing them to re-write software and be delayed.
    WHAT?

Qualcomm usses arm architecture, so does the a4, hummingbird,omap4, tegra, and just about every single bit of that 98% of phones sold.

Do you mean texas instruments?
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    WHAT?

Qualcomm usses arm architecture, so does the a4, hummingbird,omap4, tegra, and just about every single bit of that 98% of phones sold.

Yes, he meant TI...
    anyways, something i posted in a similar thread:

alright, I'm kind of happy, and sad now.

1. It shows that Hp is still most likely dedicated to keeping up with their "we'll make 200 kinds, and someone will like one of them." approach they use on their laptops. (which has worked great, they're number one.)

2. I'm sacred the pre3 form factor will go away if it doesn't sell way, which is sad, cause it's my favorite form factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I agree with that. I think thats why everything was delayed.

Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    WHAT?

Yes he did.
    I was wondering too about those early fcc testing dates. I guess it's not unusual for a cellphone to be tested half a year or more before planned launch.
    let's assume the veer and the pre3 got delayed because of the switch to snapdragon - seems not unlikely to me. and imo it's pretty obvious these are leftover palm designs.
    developing a high end cellphone (almost) from scratch takes quite a while and i guess the touchpad (with webos 3.0) had priority and they also had to work on (and are still working on) the transition from mojo to enyo (internal and sdk-wise)
    of course we all know now we can't take hp's words at face value, but if there's one thing we (the webos enthusiasts) are really good at, it's having hope so let's hope they truly do have so many more products and form factors in the pipeline, and personally i hope for more information at the mobile world congress (or whatever it's called) in barcelona, which is in a few weeks i think.
    Apotheker indicated that the Palm Pre branding will be gone:
    "The product line will get a new name and come under the HP brand, Mr Apotheker says; the days of Palm and Palm Pre seem to be numbered.

Then, on 14 March, we will get the big unveiling, Mr Apotheker's "secret answer" and "vision of what HP is capable of in the future... the starting point"."

I think we have seen the last of the Pre form factor in the Pre 3, and that their "one device every two months" will yield a 4"+ screen bar pjhone to compete with the Droid/HD2 smartphones as their next smartphone announcement; here's my logic:

Veer: its small, credit card size will defintely appeal to current dumbphone users who just can't ever see a phone being larger than the palm of thier hands, but would welcome all that additional functionality.

Pre 3: competitive against the iPhone and all moderate screen sized smartphones, with the additional benefits of dual cameras, fastest processor, and a truly usable physical keyboard, not to mention the WebOS experience.

The only thing missing, at this point, is that large screen smartphone device - and I speculate that this is an HP concept and will not be in any way, shape or form, a Pre in name or formfactor.

Just to add a little more - I'd not be surprised if HP introduced a landscape slider later this year, as well. The Sidekick had very good success a few years back.

JMO..
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post

Veer: its small, credit card size will defintely appeal to current dumbphone users who just can't ever see a phone being larger than the palm of thier hands, but would welcome all that additional functionality.

Pre 3: competitive against the iPhone and all moderate screen sized smartphones, with the additional benefits of dual cameras, fastest processor, and a truly usable physical keyboard, not to mention the WebOS experience.

The only thing missing, at this point, is that large screen smartphone device - and I speculate that this is an HP concept and will not be in any way, shape or form, a Pre in name or formfactor.

Just to add a little more - I'd not be surprised if HP introduced a landscape slider later this year, as well. The Sidekick had very good success a few years back.

JMO..
    Don't agree though.

Dumbphone users aren't sitting around waiting for smartphones to get tiny. They don't want to pay data plans. And a bit of fear of the unknown.

The Veer is stupid. Have to carry around an adapter just to charge it, hook up to computer or use headphones.

The Pre 3 is an upgrade to an already failed concept that carries negative branding now. The webOS experience you get with a Pre has been replaced with the Touchpad experience which prevails in 3.0. Until we see Touchpad phones, webOS will be inconsistent from a Pre to a Touchpad.

I see the Pre and Veer releases still as more of a buying time move til we see 3.x devices all around. The only question is whether anyone will care by then as webOS will sort of be in limbo for the next 9-12 months.
    I'm excited I got to play with pre 3 at developer conference and I was blown away with build quality and beauty of the device. You have to hold it to appreciate it its got the perfect feel and weight to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Don't agree though.

Dumbphone users aren't sitting around waiting for smartphones to get tiny. They don't want to pay data plans. And a bit of fear of the unknown.

The Veer is stupid. Have to carry around an adapter just to charge it, hook up to computer or use headphones.

The Pre 3 is an upgrade to an already failed concept that carries negative branding now. The webOS experience you get with a Pre has been replaced with the Touchpad experience which prevails in 3.0. Until we see Touchpad phones, webOS will be inconsistent from a Pre to a Touchpad.

I see the Pre and Veer releases still as more of a buying time move til we see 3.x devices all around. The only question is whether anyone will care by then as webOS will sort of be in limbo for the next 9-12 months.
    Somewhat. However if the Veer is really cheap I could see people getting it. There are lots of pay as you go services that are really cheap. I believe my father pays 30 bucks a month for his w/ 200 minutes (he only uses it in emergencies) and data (he checks fantasy football/sports stuff) and he has some sort of older samsung android phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by djfu3l3r View Post
    I'm excited I got to play with pre 3 at developer conference and I was blown away with build quality and beauty of the device. You have to hold it to appreciate it its got the perfect feel and weight to it.
    I actually like the design of the pre, a nice comfortable phone. It was just the shoddy quality that killed it. The Pre 3 looks to fix all of that.

I actually like that they stuck with the "pebble design" it creates a unique unity amongst the devices. I hope they keep a similar look if they release other form factors.
    Quote Originally Posted by djfu3l3r View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thehomelessguy View Post
    I actually like that they stuck with the "pebble design" it creates a unique unity amongst the devices. I hope they keep a similar look if they release other form factors.
    Nice to hear of the build quality and I agree on form factor. The reason the Pre failed was build quality and un-godly delay from launch to availability. Unfortunately it appears HP fixed only one of these with the 3.
    Apotheker just talks to talk, he clearly goes rogue and has no idea what's actually going on within the smartphone division of HP. It makes little sense to debut with (or launch - period) a Pre phone to then go and kill that name. You'd want to start fresh or continue building the brand - not build the brand for one phone and then ditch it.

Then again HPalm has done things that make less sense so who knows.
    Isn't this all academic? They're leading with these devices and they will be the first - and most important - impression of HP WebOS. No one will care which company they came from or when.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast