Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39
  1. #21  
    I can see the possible delays as pointed out in this thread.

    It's not like software development is easy, or an "overnight process" - although with enyo it sounds like once you know what the heck it is you're doing (think child-lego analogy) that they seem to develop apps relatively quickly.

    I can see the qualcomm delay happening, then you have the entire rewrite of the system using enyo.

    Also, apps. They obviously know there is a need for apps, and quality ones too, so training and developing developers while still in alpha mode is quite the task.

    I also want to point out that I think HP is taking a different approach to app development - they don't care about quantity of apps in the catalog. I think they are taking the synergy approach and really pushing that - by that i mean having these apps built in natively. Take skype video calling, the facebook integration. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw shizaam natively built into the music app.

    I think it would be kind of neat and really clean if developers could develop a groundwork for their applications, and when you download it, it installs into a native type app in webOS on your device. For example, you download shizaam, and instead of having an actual application there, it's automatically in your webOS music application.
  2. #22  
    Very interesting thread.
  3. #23  
    I said it first...HP will release a flip WebOs phone similar to the LG lotus...laptop logo on the top..
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by kataran View Post
    I said it first...HP will release a flip WebOs phone similar to the LG lotus...laptop logo on the top..
    I hope so. My first two smartphones were flip phones running PalmOS. One is pictured in my avatar. I liked that design.
  5. #25  
    why is it taking so long to get the Pre 3 out? maybe because of Palm's finacial struggles the phone wasnt up to HP standards or current specs. so the phone design remained the same but the guts got a reveamp
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Amos View Post
    why is it taking so long to get the Pre 3 out? maybe because of Palm's finacial struggles the phone wasnt up to HP standards or current specs. so the phone design remained the same but the guts got a reveamp
    I think the CPU is to blame. Taking a long time to manufacture.
  7. ijip's Avatar
    Posts
    885 Posts
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    #27  
    well Japan had a big earthquake and it affected some of qualcomms bonding palnts so maybe they can make the chips just in very limited productions. hence the soft launch approach HP is taking..
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    well Japan had a big earthquake and it affected some of qualcomms bonding palnts so maybe they can make the chips just in very limited productions. hence the soft launch approach HP is taking..
    I didn't thought of that...

    And actually to answer OP, Pre 3 IS a HP design. Uses B94 instead of O8F, and HP's model numbering scheme.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  9. Andreas's Avatar
    Posts
    896 Posts
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    #29  
    I want that crystal ball of HP, they saw the earthquake coming so on Think Beyond event in february they said summer release just to be sure. But as you say it might postpone a big release.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
  10. #30  
    I prefer Palm design more than HP design.

    here, HP design, who wants it?

  11. #31  
    Well actually the Glisten's not bad...

    The HP iPAQ Glisten - HP Small and Medium Business

    Just had a horrible OS, that's all.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  12. #32  
    I believe the Pre 2 was the last 100% Palm design. It's hard to know how much HP had to do with the Veer and Pre 3. It's important to remember that Palm operates as a separate unit in HP. They still reside in the same building in Sunnyvale. I think the WebOS tablet and WebOS operating system was what HP cared most about. They knew their laptop sales would drop due to the release of the iPad in April 2010. Given the fact that HP bought Palm for their expertise and skills at making these devices I doubt HP had anyone who could better direct Palm on how or what to build with the exception of the TouchPad.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    I believe the Pre 2 was the last 100% Palm design. It's hard to know how much HP had to do with the Veer and Pre 3. It's important to remember that Palm operates as a separate unit in HP. They still reside in the same building in Sunnyvale. I think the WebOS tablet and WebOS operating system was what HP cared most about. They knew their laptop sales would drop due to the release of the iPad in April 2010. Given the fact that HP bought Palm for their expertise and skills at making these devices I doubt HP had anyone who could better direct Palm on how or what to build with the exception of the TouchPad.
    I would bet money that the Veer and Pre3 were designed before HP. However, the TouchPad hardware came from HP because they had an Android tablet in the works. That explains the lack of a gesture area. Palm didn't have the resources to even say the word tablet before HP came along.

    I asked a few Palm employees about this at the #thinkbeyond event, and they all agreed with me.

    And besides, if HP designed them we'd be seeing glossy black fingerprint magnets instead of that wonderful matte black finish!
  14. #34  
    I think the veer and the pre 3 will do well in Europe.They like sleek gadgets like the pre and veer.Not rectangle shaped phones.(minus the iphone for obvisious reasons)
  15. aapold's Avatar
    Posts
    292 Posts
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    #35  
    I too wouldn't mind a clamshell or flip smartphone. Was never sure why the market went so drastically away from them.

    The paranoid part of me suggests that the dominant form factor of today, with the screen always exposed are more likely to get scratched or messed up and thus driving more sales of phones to replace them.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I prefer Palm design more than HP design.

    here, HP design, who wants it?

    But that was heavily influenced on the limitations of Windows CE. Besides, their iPaq division became a niche division a long time ago. I don't even think they upgrade the specs and even then they are more business oriented.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by prethadd81 View Post
    I think the veer and the pre 3 will do well in Europe.They like sleek gadgets like the pre and veer.Not rectangle shaped phones.(minus the iphone for obvisious reasons)
    But that brings up something I was talking about with a friend the other day. The iPhone is a polarizing device. People will either look at it and think you are cool or they will look at it and think you are wasting your money. The Pre, on the other hand, despite its ability to do the same or better than the iPhone doesn't have that power. Some people may be attracted to the Veer and the Pre3 specifically because it ISN'T an iPhone. They can take it out at a party without worrying what other people are going to think about them.

    There is a perceived "upper income" attribute that comes with owning anything from Apple. It probably stems from the "Apple Tax" the comes with buying an Apple computer. So even if the Pre3 costs the same as the iPhone and costs the same per month, the perceived value is different. And to be honest, I have run into more people who have a negative opinion of iPhone owners than any other smartphone. They think iPhone owners are being wasteful. I have never seen anyone act that way to a BlackBerry owner.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    I believe the Pre 2 was the last 100% Palm design. It's hard to know how much HP had to do with the Veer and Pre 3. It's important to remember that Palm operates as a separate unit in HP. They still reside in the same building in Sunnyvale. I think the WebOS tablet and WebOS operating system was what HP cared most about. They knew their laptop sales would drop due to the release of the iPad in April 2010. Given the fact that HP bought Palm for their expertise and skills at making these devices I doubt HP had anyone who could better direct Palm on how or what to build with the exception of the TouchPad.
    I always got the impression that Palm would still be the main ones building the operating system as well as designing the hardware of the devices.
  19. ijip's Avatar
    Posts
    885 Posts
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    #39  
    wat hp is giving to palm is the ability of scale. it may seem not like much of a big deal for people who dont understand but u have to think about how business is done.
    Apple had already purchased and have been able to sign excluvie rights to certain memory and glass manufactures. palm being a small player would have much harder access to these things. now with hp behind them they have access to Hp manufactures and deals....
    the pre 3 and veer are mostly palm design. i think hp likes qualcomm chips better than Ti also because they have the neccessary encryption for netflix. which im sure was one of the reason to switch over.
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions